IGNORED

If I'm only ever going to listen to 16/44...

I believe my thinking is correct on this, but I suppose I would simply like some affirmation...

I've ripped my CD's in iTunes to an ALAC format, and am sending the output to my V-DAC, directly over USB. If I'm only ever going to listen to 16/44.1 tracks, surely there is no reason whatsoever that a product such as Musical Fidelity's V-LINK would be beneficial, correct?

(And just FYI, I'm looking into Amarra and Pure Music for pre-processing the ALAC files before the V-DAC does it's thing.)

Thanks for your time.

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

Since you are connected over USB, then the V-LINK may provide you with a sound improvement. The USB connection to the V-DAC is not asynchronous, and adding a V-LINK, connecting the V-LINK and V-DAC via a digital cable, just might improve your sound.

Only way to know for sure is to try. ;)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If I'm only ever going to listen to 16/44.1 tracks, surely there is no reason whatsoever that a product such as Musical Fidelity's V-LINK would be beneficial, correct?

That would be quite *in*correct IMO. The V-Link made a readily audible improvement in my system, playing 16/44.1 lossless (ALAC, AIFF, WAV) material into a Theta DAC that's limited to 16/44.1 or 16/48. I substituted the V-Link for an M-Audio CO2 optical->coax converter since my DAC lacks an optical input, so my setup isn't the same as yours. (I also have an excellent S/PDIF coaxial cable between the V-Link and the DAC.) However, substitution of the async USB connection in the V-Link for the adaptive USB connection in the V-DAC (unless you have a V-DAC II) should improve sound quality, given a reasonable S/PDIF cable into the V-DAC.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

In theory the USB implementation of the V-link is a better source than the built in one on your DAC. The only way to know for sure is to try it and to see (hear).

Can you borrow one or get a dealer loaner? If not, they aren't too expensive and can certainly be resold without much of a loss if you feel it doesn't improve SQ.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1) I should never have used the words "surely" or "whatsoever." That made my statement/question way too blanketed, and I didn't mean to come off that way in the first place.

2) I forgot all about the whole asynchronous thing and, in theory, the addition of that technology to the signal path should increase sound quality.

3) I don't know anyone who has a V-LINK I can borrow, or know of a place that might loan one out. However, they are, indeed, affordable enough that I could purchase one, have a listen, and then turn around and sell it - at a minimal loss - if I find that I'm unable to tell the difference with or without it in the signal path.

4) Lastly, as far as the V-DAC II goes, that would definitely be an option, but one that would be weighed against just purchasing the V-LINK at a bit less than half the price of the V-DAC II and still retain what I like about the V-DAC I. I've read that distortion was cut in half with the new model, for example, but from a figure that was minuscule to begin. I don't know that it would translate into any real audible increase in sound quality, given my rather meager system (all things considered).

Thanks again for all your responses so far. I do appreciate your time and input.

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS