IGNORED

Anyone dare buy HDTracks "The Rolling Stones Singles Collection: The London Years"

It is being offered in either 88kHz/24bit or 176kHz/24bit.

I guess I am just wondering if this is just up sampled from some lower resolution, or what...

I have several versions of this already, but really like the collection and would like to hear it in hi-res (I liked what I heard with Let It Bleed from HDtracks).

If you have purchased the HDTracks and have an opinion, I would be interested.

Even if you haven't purchased it, given the tape source material, do you suspect that this must be up sampled?

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

Just find out the year when the recording was made, it will not be hard to guess whether it is just upsampling or by some conversion from analogue to digital.

Why bother so much on the bit and sampling rate, if you like the album, buy it. High resolution is not a guarantee to good recording and good music, it only affords the capacity to record music in a higher resolution. Recently I bought a lot of old Jazz recordings and they are red book standard but the music and the recording are very good despite the spec:16/44.

Most DAC can and some even without choice automatic upsample and my DAC gives me an option and I have a full house of 96hz or even 192hz albums. If the source is not in that high resolution, I don't see any benefit downloading these "High resolution" albums, just leave my DAC to do the upsample job and save the penny.

Good Luck!

MetalNuts

These are sourced from the same type of tape to digital transcription as your Let it Bleed downloads (also transcribed from tape to DSD). So they actually had to be downsampled (from 2.8M) to 176K and 88K. If you liked the Let it Bleed remaster, you'll probably like these.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yeah, my understanding is that these are all based on the DSD transcriptions remastered for SACD by Bob Ludwig in 2002. These are from the catalogue owned by ABKCO.

I haven't heard them all, but all the ones I have sound very good - the best versions we have. I believe there are redbook CDs from that time are also based on the same remasters - if the CD says digitally remastered by Bob Ludwig, I think you won't be disappointed. There definitely are SACD/CD hybrid disks from this series.

I've got the "Sticky Fingers" redbook CD digitally remastered by Bob Ludwig, and it also sounds really good. It's good enough that I probably won't buy the hi-res if it comes out (It's on Virgin, not ABKCO, don't ask me about the legal stuff involved,) as I think the improvement will be small. There are also remasters done in 2009 (?) on Universal, I think they were volume compressed and the ones I've heard I didn't like.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Bob Ludwig remasters are the best ones so far, and very, very good in absolute terms.

Originally Analog to DSD.

24bit 176.4kHz PCM conversions (the ones sold at HDTracks) smoke everything else. "The reference".

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.