IGNORED

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room

Anyone downloaded this from HD Tracks? I have the double sided disc with Redbook CD on one side and SACD on the other. The 16/44.1 version sounds fantastic, and I'm guessing they took the 24/96 version from the SACD. Just wondered if anyone had heard it because unless it's something very special I don't think I'll bother.

Colin

HDTracks stated written policy: they never turn SACD or DSD into 24/96, only into 24/88 and 24/176 - integer multiples. They say they never upsample. I have no reason not to believe them. So doubtful the source is a conversion by them from an SACD.

Doesn't mean someone else doesn't supply them with 24/96 that's made from upsampled material.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

You are confused and describing Dualdisc, which is rebook on one side, DVD-audio ( in this case) on the other. Diana Krall's GITOR is a Dualdisc, and that is what this HDtracks is taken from, not an SACD. The 24/96 is the resolution of that disc.

I ripped the DVD-A version from my dual disc using DVD Audio Extractor. The 16/44.1 version is already quite impressive IMO but this is absolutely superb. On the track Almost Blue it was like Diana Krall was standing there right in front of me, OK sitting at her piano. I played that track and Black Crow, the Joni Mitchell tune, and could not believe the clarity. Recordings like this show what can be achieved. Obviously well recorded and well mastered. Highly recommended, if you like jazz that is.

Colin

I bought it the moment I saw it as it is my favorite Krall album. I was curious though knowing that titles 'sourced' from SACD were brought in at 24/88.2 or 24/176.4 and this was 24/96. I did not remember the DualDisc version though so that would explain it.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds spectacular. Have the Redbook - thought it sounded very good, but this is noticeably better. Just sounds clearer and more like real instruments.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 9 months later...

I have this record in several formats and the HD Tracks 24/96 version is by far the best, the SQ is stunning. For those that like this download, I would also recommend Jane Monheit "Home" 24/96.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot I had this disc in my collection. Just used DVD Audio Extractor to pull off the 24/96 tracks and add to my audio collection.

2012 (Late) Mac Mini, Oyen 1TB HDD (ALAC files), DH Labs Silversonic Toslink Optical w/3.5mm Audioquest adapter, Rega DAC, Audioquest Columbia IC, Rega Brio-R, DH Labs T-14 Cables, PSB Imagine B

• 2 months later...

Can someone tell me what the noise is after the piano keys are struck...

It's as if there is an expander in the circuit, like the old dbx117, if you wound the expansion up too high, the sound would pump. If you strike a note on Piano, you hear the initial sharp response when the hammer strikes the string, then there's a decay, before the next key is struck some 2s later. But there's

some kind of 'hash' after the hammer strikes, maybe there's a brush trying to be in time with the keys.

Would like to know what this is.

For a 2L recording of paino solo (Tor Espen Aspaas Mirror Cannon Track 1 Beethoven Sonate #32 ) no such hash exists.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone tell me what the noise is after the piano keys are struck...

It's as if there is an expander in the circuit, like the old dbx117, if you wound the expansion up too high, the sound would pump. If you strike a note on Piano, you hear the initial sharp response when the hammer strikes the string, then there's a decay, before the next key is struck some 2s later. But there's

some kind of 'hash' after the hammer strikes, maybe there's a brush trying to be in time with the keys.

Would like to know what this is.

For a 2L recording of paino solo (Tor Espen Aspaas Mirror Cannon Track 1 Beethoven Sonate #32 ) no such hash exists.

I believe you are hearing the dampers as they brush the strings. You will get this when you close mike an acoustic piano. The reason you don't hear it on the other recording is the distance of the mike. In classical recordings, they are done typically at a distance to capture the sound as if you were sitting in the live concert audience. For studio jazz recordings, the piano is close miked with the microphone very close to the action. Thus, you are hearing the dampers, which is simply just part of the piano's action.