IGNORED

Lio-8 integer beta

MH-Lab sent some LIO8 users a beta version of the MIO software with integer mode enabled.

I hope like me, some of the happy few are CA members, since I can't get it working. Am using Audirvana, Damien and MH confirmed that users have it up and running... me again...

Anybody here can share with me how to get it done?

Running 2008 Macmini with 2gb of memory.

Thanks.

aj

I am running the new pre-release integer mode capable driver from MH with my LIO-8 and audirvana with no issues. Although, at this point in time this driver does not work with Pure Music in integer mode. Rob is working on it and awaiting a test DAC from MH to verify his code changes.

Did Jon send you the e-mail with instructions on how to install the new driver and have you verified it installed properly? If so I would turn off your Mac and DAC. Restart the DAC and then the MAC and then try audirvana.

If the new driver is installed properly I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Oh....good question. I am running Leopard on my MM where I have no issues. Is the OP running Lion? That could be very well the issue as I understand Lion does not support integer mode.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Yup, Jon gave me instructions: I managed to skip one of the steps somewhere. Must have been late that night...

Integer mode is here.

Now trying to discern the differences...

No idea when the official release will be...

aj

Mark, just contact Jon at Metric Halo support. I'm sure he will give you access to the pre release driver. So far I can't hear a difference between audirvana with and without integer mode FWIW. Will be eager for others to weigh in.

Yes an email to MH support is probably the best way to obtain a copy of the driver. If it does not work with PM it may be a bit premature for me to obtain a copy. But I keep thinking that I should get a copy whilst I can as I am not sure if it will ever progress past beta if Lion does not support integer mode.

Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I too will wait till it becomes compatible with PM. Great to know they are at least at the beta stage. Good news!

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Talked to the guys at MH today and they claim you can use Integer Mode in Lion with the LIO-8 because they write their own drivers and do not rely on the Apple drivers.

It sounds like they use Audirvana to confirm that Integer Mode is working. Still I do not seem to get Integer Mode working in Audirvana. If anyone has gotten this to work, please provide suggestions.

Another thing I noticed about Audirvana is that when you select Hog Mode (Exclusive Access Mode), it deselects your DAC as the output in Audio Midi. I know this is something that you have to do manually in Pure Music for Hog Mode.

• 2 weeks later...

B.J. posted an inquiry on the Apple's Core Audio discussion list two days ago asking whether Lion's failure to support non-mixable audio streams is a bug or an intentional decision by Apple to drop this capability. There was no reply on the list, but he may have received a reply privately.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 4 months later...

Does MIO 5.4 provide integer mode for the LIO8?

I've done various searches of the MH site without finding anything definitive.

Many thanks

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

The beta driver that provides integer mode has not been publicly announced by Metric Halo, but they'll send it to you if you email a request to tech support:

[email protected]

Pure Music and Audirvana Plus music players both support integer mode after you install the Metric Halo beta driver. (Other music players might also, but those are the two I'm familiar with.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

what is the theoretical difference?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

MH got in touch (as did a CA forum member, thank you) and I have loaded the beta firmware, updated MIO and driver. But I am getting a sound like static mixed into the music using any player, integer mode or not.

I've got a call into MH but thought I would check if anyone else had hit something like that?

I could try another download, and do the firmware and driver again in case something was lost in transmission, or I could head back to MIO 5.3 (assuming the relevant firmware is available).

Try turning off the LIO-8, restarting the Mac, launching MIO Console, then turning on the LIO-8, then launching Amarra.

If that doesn't work, try the limited-time demo of Pure Music or Audirvana Plus, both of which are compatible with Metric Halo integer mode.

I got the beta integer software, but was told Lion doesn't support this. I have Snow Leopard if I want to change the OS to accomodate this...but is it worth it guys? I don't want to go to all the effort if the difference is subtle.

Thanks!

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Thanks Bob - I've gone further than that in conjunction with MH. Trashed the MIO preferences and then rebuilt the mixers, swapped cables, rebooted everything ...

I've got Amarra, Fidelia, Pure Vinyl and the Audirvana trial, and they are all doing it. I'm sure we will get there in the end.

Chris, the difference (for my ears) is huge and outstanding, and no subtle at all, but Integer is possible only on Snow Leopard.

It's like an upgraded version of the LIO-8

Roch

PS/ I don't know why Metric Halo call this version as 'beta', It's fully implemented and with no failures since the first time I got it. 'Beta' could scare some people.

Really Roch??? So many times things like this are just subtle changes, so it's great to hear that there is a very noticeable improvement! I'll give it a try, besides, Lion hasn't been that big of change over Snow Leopard....to me at least.

Thanks Roch for your opinion!

Chris

Different in what ways?

Would love to hear your experience of the differences as I am considering doing this for my LIO 8.

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Chris, Lion changes are cosmetics ones only, but not for better. If you go to Apple forums you will see a lot of complains. Snow Leopard is an very stable OS, Lion is even slow than SL on some tasks. Even on battery life on MacBooks. But this is an out of thread...

@jmdesignz2, what i feel under Integer capable drivers is, musicians and singers are more close to real life: They are more with me in my listening room, thanks to less noise (distortion?) and much better timing (human ear/brain is more sensible to time domain issues, than to frequency domain).

I have two partition on my Mac Mini music server, one with SL and the other with Lion. That's the easy way to compare i f you don't want to trash away Lion.

Roch