Sign in to follow this  
audiophile65

To anyone with MoFi UltraDisc of Steely Dan's "Aja"

Rate this topic

If anyone owns this UltraDisc, is their an audible error on the title track (track 2) at about 02:06? It sounds like about a half-a-second of the song had been excised (kind of sounds like an edit gone bad). I used to own this UltraDisc -- I hope it isn't endemic on all copies of this great audiophile CD.

Thanks for your help.

My MFSL UltraDisc II (UDCD 515) sounds fine. I've just checked the waveform against a 2008 release for you. There is no missing section. In the attached image, the top pair of waveforms are the MFSL left and right channels.

Aja.png

I'd stay away from it. I don't even think it's from the Ultradisc. I have the SHM-CD and SACD and both are fine, btw.

Ted_b,

Can you please be more specific about the "rip out on the web"? Are you suggesting that I stay away from the UltraDisc version of "Aja" and try the SHM-CD? I can't rip the SACD.

Please clarify.

have heard it somewhere; I assume it was on the web. There are a few MFSL rips out there (torrents, etc) that have this anomaly at 2:10 or so. And we've determined from actual owners here on CA that it's not the MFSL disc, so it's the rip that's bad! Don't download it.

Really cool! Thanks for showing me this!! :)

Can you please try one last comparison? Please compare time index 02:06 to time index 01:03. Listen carefully to after the words "...when all my dime dancing is through, I run to you."

You may show me an Audacity graph of the two time indexes.

Thanks!

The whole track, is good here. The change after "...when all my dime dancing is through, I run to you" at 2.06 is different to 1.03, but it's supposed to be, in my opinion, so there doesn't seem much point in posting the waveforms.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but is there a possibility of your glitchy disk being a forgery?

A few years ago I had to give up "Aja" and a lot of CDs. But I do think that it's quite possible that my glitchy "Aja" could very well have been a forgery. Nothing else could explain this, in spite of the fact that I purchased the Ultradisc years ago from a very reputable dealer.

I would be afraid to plunk down any amount of money even on a used or collectible copy of "Aja", for fear that if I rip the Ultradisc to 16/44.1 AIFF, WAV, and Apple Lossless that the same "glitch" might occur again.

This is why I would love to digitize the 30th Anniversary vinyl LP from Cisco, but I do not have a turntable nor an A to D converter. As much as I love this album, I am at quite a debacle.

I thought I'd read that years ago. I too have the whole catalog on Japanese mini SHM CD and they are the best I've heard. Not looking for a debate here if anyone believes otherwise. I too have the 24/96 HDTracks Gaucho which sounds good but not eye-popping-ly so.

.........the Japanese mini SHM CD of "Gaucho" better than the HDTracks 24/96 download?

Also, as a fan of The Dan myself, you have GOT to tell me how you like the sound of the SHM CDs of "Can't Buy A Thrill", "Countdown to Ecstasy", "Katy Lied", "Pretzel Logic", "The Royal Scam", and "Aja".

Thanks.

........how much are they wanting for it?

Also, can I please contact this store if the price is good?

Lastly, if you've been reading this thread about possible glitchy "Aja" UltraDiscs (particularly at 02:06 of track 2), is it possible that I can burn this into my MBP (16/44.1 AIFF or WAV or ALAC) without this glitch??

Thanks, Chris.

Whatever it is: snake oil, my perception, etc. I love these SHM's best next to vinyl. I have the whole set. Gaucho on 24/96 HDTracks is better to my ears with some more detail and better punch (I'm not looking for a debate here on brickwalling etc). I just put them on right now for a listen. I have a Wyred4Sound DAC2, Cavalli Liquid Fire Headphone Amp(the best I've ever heard) and beyerdynamic Tesla T-1's so the system delivers. "The Royal Scam" on SHM just shimmers. Beautiful. All of these SHM Steely Dan's sound great. I think I had just about every remaster issue they had and SHM's are the best to me. The mini lp part is really cool. Led Zep SHM's sound the best to me too until we get those High-res files from them!

An aside: I have a bunch of the SHM's from Japan and not all are an improvement. ELP for one. Hardly noticeable from the other JPN issues. The Yes were a big improvement too.

Again, for those rhetoric seekers: I'm not looking for a debate on SHM, Japanese mastering etc. These are what I like and sound great to me.

Thanks for telling me about your SHM CD versions of the classic Dan albums. I always wondered if there were any better sounding versions of the classic Dan albums than all of the MCA re-masters after re-masters of those CDs.

I found that these SHM CDs are available from the CDJapan website (I occasionally order Region 2 DVDs of movies with English DTS from CDJapan). CDJapan has great service!! :) I think I'll check Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc to see if they carry them, too.

Sounds like they'll make great sounding rips from their CDs to AIFF/WAV/ALAC files.

Thanks again!