IGNORED

What speaker wire do you use? (Survey)

Jumping in very late here, but I just registered and am new to the forum. I was searching for comments on the Tunnelbridge and saw this string.

I have a bunch of the Lessloss stuff (DAC 2004, DFPC Signatures, Firewalls and Blackbodies) and have had a chance to compare it directly to a wide variety of other products. I can tell you that their stuff is quite good, and I have not had an issue with shipping or support.

I'm currently deciding whether to check out the Tunnelbridge. If so, I will compare it directly to the Tara Labs Zero Gold, the MIT Orable MA-X, and the SilentSource Music Reference. If you order the Tunnelbridge I'd appreciate your comments.

• 2 weeks later...

B x 2:

I want to thank you two again. I have been meaning to f/u, but I was out in Colorado for a week with the family, then came back and decided to buy a muscle car. (Yes, I'm a fool.) So I got the Blue Heaven Speaker cables hooked up and burned in, and well...

HOLY DOODIE!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, 'ol George Cardas can kiss my patootie- I'll never use any Cardas again. LITERALLY a new system. Top end, transients with MUCH more sparkle with no glare at all. Now this system sounds like I intended. Yes, I also tried Blue Heaven ICs, and they are nice also (replaced Cross also), but not as big a difference as the Blue Heaven Speaker cables. I have to ask, who likes Cardas Cross? People with blown Woofers? I can't understand it, they sound TERRIBLE in my system. You guys saved my butt, thanks again! If you ever have problems with your eyes, advice is pro-bono. This was not a small problem you fixed.

Brad

2.26 GHz Mac Mini (Late 2009), 8 GB RAM, 2 External Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB / Firewire 800/ Wavelength Wavelink/ Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC / Nordost Blue Heaven IC / Musical Fidelity KW 750 / Nordost Blue Heaven Speaker cable/ Magnepan MG 3.6r with MYE stands / Custom purpose built listening room

• 2 years later...

I recently bought new wire, for the first time in years, and it's quite interesting.

I have been working on tri-amping my towers for some time now, and since I've reached a point where I don't intend to make any more large changes in the wiring on my speakers or gear (which was sort of jerry rigged and used butt connectors between the driver leads and those coming from my amps), I've decided to hook up 8 pole speakons for each tower (only using 6 poles though).

The problem: It is very difficult to find wire with enough separate shielded leads, especially for a reasonable price. Most who use 8 pole speakons are expecting to have to rebuild their cables over and over again as they are mostly used in PA systems, though it seems to be a niche product- I couldn't even get the gear at Guitar Center.

A few weeks ago, while at an auto parts store (buying other things), I found 7 way trailer wiring. On eBay I was able to find 8 and 9 way rv/trailer wiring with un-terminated ends. Interestingly enough, and much to my surprise, it is standard in the rv world to use solid wire, so I now actually have 8 poles of solid 18awg wire, but, it is packed very tightly and is no thicker a bundle overall than the standard width of most speaker wire. It has been easy to run under the carpet and hide, and the jacket is heavy duty and easy to paint. Did I mention that it was just over $0.50 a foot! Barring a massive change in my future systems, I've found a much better option for my speaker wire needs to use for years.

It was no more difficult to terminate than any other wire, I think it was actually a little easier because it is relatively stiff though not to the point that I can't bend it or would be afraid of breaks.

The next step is to buy a blank rack panel and drill a spot so I can have a proper 8 pole input on my audio rack because now I have leads from my amps going into an 8 pole jack, covered in electrical tape, and it looks like shit.

I use pure silver Pranawire Cosmos speaker cables. I have used many different speaker wires over the last 30 years. The Pranawire Cosmos being pure silver and not plated silver has the rich effect which I do like in my system. This is no small acquisition but it has a wonderful sound in my system.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

The Blue Heaven seems to be only available in bi-wire versions, at least any place I can find that sells 'em. Nordist does have a less expensive "Flatwire MKII Gold" version that looks similar, and can be configued with the zPlugs. Have you heard these?

By the way, thanks for the all the responses, please keep 'em coming. I am compiling them and will post the summary when the posting dies down.

-Paul

I'm using the nordist "flatwire MKIIGold with my maggies 1.6qr this wire works very we'll the mags I'm very happy with the sound.

Yter.

Alloy cables which replaced silver cables I'd had 20 years which were corroding (going black - silver sulphide?).

Similar transparency and very natural sound:

Yter: Solution

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

100% Digital and 100% Lossless.

Generic AES/EBU (AES3) speaker cables @ EUR 20 / USD 25 for 5m / 17'

How do you ever beat that???

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Is anyone using the Morrow speaker cables? On spec, they look pretty good, and they are always running half price deals on 'em.

-Paul

I'm running his speaker cables and balanced interconnects. SP3 for both.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I am very surprised by how few mentions there are for MIT. I have tried most brands over the years due to a friend in the industry.

I have found that most cables make no difference at all and are just pretty looking packaging for wire with no real technology.

When I first tried an MIT cable, everything else in the past felt like a huge waste of time. They have real technology, with patents and white papers on their website. No hocus pocus snake oil...

I am really surprised at the limited number of people that have ever tried MIT...

I am very surprised by how few mentions there are for MIT. I have tried most brands over the years due to a friend in the industry.

I have found that most cables make no difference at all and are just pretty looking packaging for wire with no real technology.

When I first tried an MIT cable, everything else in the past felt like a huge waste of time. They have real technology, with patents and white papers on their website. No hocus pocus snake oil...

I am really surprised at the limited number of people that have ever tried MIT...

I have to disagree as I find all wires sound different. No, I don’t own any MIT cables.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

. . snake oil...

I am really surprised at the limited number of people that have digital speaker cables!

Digital cables alone are 100% lossless of fully transparent.

All analogue cables are noisy polluting wastes of money!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I make my own speaker cables using 10 awg clear jacket copper stranded, heat shrink tubing and flexible expanding net covering and gold terminals to eliminate corrosion. They look like I spent $500 a pair, but they sound no different than the 14awg lamp cord they replaced. Also did a set for my PC system using cat 6 cable braided ( what a p.i.t.a.!) and finished the same. Looks really high end and I almost convinced myself they sound better.........but a pic of Pam Anderson popped up on my browser which brought me back to my senses.lol......what we see is very influential on the other senses!

Groneburg cables from Klaus at Odyssey. I use his amps and he said these cables worked well. I use the same cable for interconnects and power. It sounds good to me, but who knows because I've never used megabuck cables before.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open