IGNORED

What speaker wire do you use? (Survey)

Nordost's zPlugs are a unique (in my experience) "banana" type connector.

Rather than bulging in the center of their length, they are straight cylinders, making contact along the full surface of the cylinder.

The amount of contact area is greater than any spade connector in my experience.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

The Blue Heaven seems to be only available in bi-wire versions, at least any place I can find that sells 'em. Nordist does have a less expensive "Flatwire MKII Gold" version that looks similar, and can be configued with the zPlugs. Have you heard these?

By the way, thanks for the all the responses, please keep 'em coming. I am compiling them and will post the summary when the posting dies down.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Paul,

Blue Heaven used to be available in bi-wire form. The current version (in Nordost's Leif series) is not bi-wire.

I used to own Flatline (not "Flatwire") Mk II. It is very good. But Blue Heaven is better. (Similar to going from one Maggie to a larger one: same "family" of sound but appreciably greater refinement.)

Actually, I had Flatline Mk II first. It replaced MIT "Music Hose" that cost 3 times the price. Then I went to Super Flatline Mk II (the bi-wire version), then to Blue Heaven (the previous, bi-wire version).

Nordost seem to think the new version is better than the previous one. Based on what I've heard from their line (I use their Valkyrja as my mic cables for recording and to feed the amps in the studio and I've heard their Valhalla and Odin cables in an acquaintance's system), I have no reason to doubt them.

Hope this helps. (It is really a shame the Cable Company no longer carries Nordost. That's how I heard them and got to compare them with several other brands.)

Best regards,

Barry

Musicdirect.com sells Nordost if you prefer to deal with an online dealer. Nordost will terminate cables any way you would like (single wire, bi-wire, shotgun, any combination of spades and bananas). If their website does not offer the option you are looking for, give them a ring, they are quite friendly and willing to accommodate folks special needs.

Like Barry D. I like Nordost's "z-plug" bananas.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Kondo KSL-SPc, recommended by the speakers guys. Cannot afford the silver so I went copper.

There is magic in them Kondos

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Hi barrows,

While the options for single or bi-wire used to be the case, I'm not so sure the newer Blue Heaven is available bi-wire.

Even musicdirect's site offers it only as "full range".

But you're right: it does pay to call Nordost and find out for sure.

Best regards,

Barry

Barry, you may be right. They may be offering the (new) Leif series in only a few options to keep prices down. It is definitely worth asking though.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Home: Nordost Valhalla

Work: Audience Au24e

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

on main system. Some 'premium audio wire' from Home Depot for the mroe remote speakers with long runs of wire under the house, in the crawl space and for non-critical things like side surround speakers. I give my ears barely enuf credit to need the Pear cables, but they look nice anyhow.

Stan

Being a Naim'er, speaker cable is Naim's NAC A5.

Naim connectors at the amp, bare wire "F" connection at the speaker.

It's not the first in resolution but musical coherence, nothing beats it.

Best value cable out there.

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

Cardas Clear 4 meter, terrific cables! Bananas to spades.

GH in SoCal[br]Running Springs Mongoose 20a (Cardas Golden Ref) PC > Running Springs Jaco > Mac Mini > Channel D Pure Music > Locus Polestar > Playback Designs MPD-3 > VAC Sigma 160i > Wilson Audio Duettes > Cardas Clear interconnects & speaker cables > Cardas Clear power cables

Audioquest Redwood's. Prefer spade terminations; they are available in different sizes so order what you need. Can be changed if you change speakers.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

I listed out all the cables and looked up prices for a 2 meter set of each with Banana plugs where possible.

If the cable was not available in meter lengths, I adjusted the price to 6 foot lengths, which is a little short, but still reasonable. Two meters = 6.56 feet.

The pricing is mostly from The Cable Co., Music Direct, and a couple from the cable websites. Some pricing was just not easily found!

None of the pricing below reflects prices from any user on CA. They are all easily found prices from the web, as noted above. :)

I must be tired, because I uplinked a very incomplete PDF. It is corrected below. PR

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Paul,

I don't believe Blue Heaven is the "replacement" for Flatline Mk II.

Both existed in the line previously. The current equivalent of Flatline might be the White Lightning.

Also, in my experience, prices can be quite misleading. When I first purchased Super Flatline Mk II (before I got the Blue Heaven), it replaced cables that cost triple its price.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.comw

This is a product I love to buy on Audiogon. The Acoustic Zen Satori's for example can be had for $400-450 (6ft-10ft). If you don't like them just sell them again. There is a pretty liquid market on Audiogon. You may take a $50 hit but well worth it to be able to try different cables out if you are not close to a high-end audio dealer. Another side benefit is that these cables are usually broken in already so you don't have to spend 100 hours running your system before you can truly listen to them critically.

To be equivalent to all the other cables, I quoted it as finished cable with banana plugs.

A six foot length of BJ12 terminated with banana to banana is $30.75. Double it for a stereo pair, and rounded up to the next dollar, you have $62.

Bare cable is $0.62/foot, which would coincidentally enough, be $62 for 100'.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Yes, I should learn not to try and finish things late at night. That is copied from my notes and the copy was not clean.

I did not mean to imply the cable company replaced the cables in their product line.

The comment refers to the CA member who mentioned the cable in their posting, you, in this case, I think. The CA member replaced their existing cable with the cable listed.

Thanks for pointing that out and clearing it up! :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Paul,

"...The comment refers to the CA member who mentioned the cable in their posting, you, in this case, I think. The CA member replaced their existing cable with the cable listed..."

I believe I'm the CA member that replaced their Super Flatline Mk II with Blue Heaven. But perhaps another did too.

Best regards,

Barry

From such a tiny little survey result, there sure were a lot of cables mentioned. There must be incredible variety in cable selection among the folks here.

I know we have people on the forum using other cables - from Radio Shack Monster cable to Antipode's Reference cables and everything in between and beyond.

Again, I apologize for the imprecise wording in there. I removed all the poster's names from my notes, but I could have double checked the forum.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

This week I made a very un-Audiophile move. I recabled my entire system, with the exception of USB, with Mogami cables. I designed custom cables on the Redco.com site. I couldn't terminate a cable if my life depended on it. That's where Redco takes over. I probably spent less than $100 on balanced interconnects and speaker cable. I do believe cables make an audible difference in high end resolving audio systems. The reason I'm trying this very inexpensive cable is to get experience with it and set a baseline with which to compare my other cables.

http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=126&cat=Design+Your+Own+Custom+Cable

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Only sharing my experience. Have no position. I get it's -- at best-- subjective decision: My speaker cable is Synergistic Reference - Acoustic Reference. Wow!

The enigma bullets voice the cables as I prefer. And since all my ICs and speaker cable and even one power cable to Synergistic Power Strip also includes the enigmas are Synergistic Research, I can "shape" the voice. They're expensive (at least for me a working stiff). I have absolutely no regrets. Just grateful for the enjoyment. I am sure it's not exclusive to Synergistic Research but they make a damn good speaker cable (if you will, USB, ICs, Power cables, acoustic). I am not a schell for them. In fact, my wife would sooner kill me for spending the fortune they demand for what I am happy with. To love is to be happy with: I am in love.

Best,

Richard

Paul,

Recently retired AudioQuest CV8 with DBS48 and temporarily replaced with same cable from Blue Jeans which I also use inside wall for HT speakers. For the retired CV8s, I now use Synergistic Research Acoustic Reference terminated with BFA bananas.I am not in Kansas any more! I know perception is subjective, yet, the synergy (pun intended) has succeeded in delivering an extra-ordinary listening experience for music that's addictive and healing and thoroughly entertaining as in the good old days at the Village Vanguard, The Blue Note, The Gate, The Five Spot. INtoxicating!

Best, Richard