IGNORED

What speaker wire do you use? (Survey)

I'm playing around with testing speaker cable, as well as thinking I want to upgrade the Anti-Cables so I can use them in the second system I am slowly building.

But also, I would like to get a list of the speaker cables we are all using. :)

Right now I am using a set of 15ft Anti-Cables in the main system, and an 8ft set of Kimber Cable 4prs in the second system.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Monoprice all the way . . .

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Sounds great even with the $150 speakers that I'm using at the moment. It transformed the full range electrostatics (Audiostatic DCIs) driven by hefty valve amps that I actually bought the cable for.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

http://www.omegamikro.com/Speaker_Cable_V.html

Have tried other ribbon cables, silver AQ and Acoustic Zen...all good stuff.

A buddy brought over a pair of the Omega Mikro and my son and I fell off our listening chairs at the naturalness of voices, horns, percussion (especially cymbals). The quickness these things brought to my system was amazing. Bought them used from my friend who was purchasaing the next model up for his system. These wires seem to deliver the nuances in the recorded performances to my speakers like nothing else I have tried.

Same or related company sells "anti cable" style minimalist cables that I bet have some of the same "you are there" capabilities for a whole lot less coinage.

Listening to Pat Martino disk at the moment with some killer brush work on the drum kit/cymbals and it kills, and the Omega Mikro cables help that happen in my listening room.

Tone with Soul

My favs, silver tip to tip, revealing, very smooth and not ludicrously priced...

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

my Nordost Frey speaker cables. Expensive, but one of the best upgrades I have ever made in my system. Some seem to feel Nordost is bright... this is not my experience with the Frey's though, lots of detail, speed, but the real timbres is what really sold me on them-instruments sound much more real, with many more of the complex harmonics in place than before.

Other cables I have used in this system: both the PS Audio Reference, and the PS Audio Transcendent (very expensive, silver 8 AWG)-these PS cables are no longer made, but if there are any of the Reference (PCOCC copper, solid cores in foamed PE, counter spiralled coaxial design) cables available used they are very good-just beware that they usually should be re-terminated with better connectors as the manufacturer did not always do the best termination, and the connectors are not as good as the cables (use Nordost z plug bananas)

I really would like to try yter speaker cables and interconnect someday...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I use Kimber 8TC too and sometimes bi-wire with a set of 4TC. This doesn't seem to make as much difference with my MA speakers. With my old ML Aerius it made a big difference.

tomE[br]Bryston BDP-1, Bryston BDA-1, Oppo BDP-95, Rogue Audio Sphinx, Montor Audio Silver RX8s. [br]Analog: LP12, Alphason HR100S, Benz Micro LO04 and Rogue audio Triton phono pre

Hi ggking7,

"...I use banana plugs on my Nordost Blue Heavens but I'm thinking of sending them in to the factory for retermination with spades after reading in a Quicksilver manual that spades are preferred..."

A few questions I would ask:

1. Was the Quicksilver manual written by someone who actually tried Nordost's zplugs?

2. What do they mean by "preferred"? Might there be an artifact they enjoy? To say "spades preferred" (over what?) seems to me to be painting with a very broad brush. Perhaps intended, perhaps not.

I'd suggest trying the same cable terminated both ways. I believe there will be an advantage to the low mass zplug, which in my system, makes a snug, intimate connection with both the speakers and the power amps.

Just my perspective, of course.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Nordost Frey. Switched from Cardas Golden Reference - which I liked, but the Nordost wins out in detail and prat (Cardas was slightly warmer though).

I might also be tempted to try Tyr in future.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

I love them, they have beat everything I put against them.

http://www.laboratorium-yter.com/

Used in top Sonus Faber speakers like: Stradivari Homage, Amati anniversario, Guarneri memento

Best regards!

dCS Puccini - Antelope OCX and DA - Qnap TS-239 ProII Turbo NAS - Netbook - WireWorld Starlight USB - M2Tech hiFace Evo - TeddyEvo - Hovland HP200 - Pass Labs XA30.5 - Graaf GM20 Monoblocks - Graaf GM100 - Pass Labs SR-2[br]Head-fi: Digital TV/DVD stream - Apogee Big Ben - dCS - Woo Audio WA22 - Sennheiser HD800/XLR - mostly for movies - intense![br]Cables: Canare/Digital - Atlas and Yter/Analog - PS Audio/Power[br]The missing link: Korg MR2000S 1bit DSD [br]Vinyl: VPI Aries 3 - 10.5i VTA-on-the-fly - SuperPlatter - Teres Verus - Transfiguration Orpheus - Hovland P200

The only postitive I have read regarding the use of spades is that they provide a better contact and more surface area of contact than bananas or pins. Personally I prefer bananas. In the few instances when I wanted to try spades it seemed to never fail that the spade was too small for the post on either the amp or the speaker or both. Bananas have worked consistently well for me.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Paul,

Audience AU24 3M banana to banana and Kimber 8TC 2M banana to banana. The Audience AU24 is a very good cable but I suppose my 15 year old set of black and blue 8TCs will always find their way into one system or another.

Cheers,

Greg

\'08 MacMini/OS X 10.7/4G/160G SSD - iomega 1TB - Pure Music 1.82 /Amarra 2.3.1 - Weiss DAC202 - Kimber Select KS1120 XLR 1M - Bel Canto REF1000 MKII - Audience AU24 2.5M - Magnepan 1.7[br]\'08 iMac 24\"/4G/500G - Sony CRU_840A - G_Drive 2TB - DroboFS 3TB - Pure Vinyl 3.0 - Metric Halo LI0 8/4 - VPI Classic - Van den Hul Frog - S300iu - Kimber 8TC - KEF Ref 201/2

Kubala Sosna Elation

Transparent and neutral

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.