IGNORED

HDTracks has WMG Eagles, Jackson Browne and more

Chris Jone's album, Roadhouses and Automobiles has crickets chirping throughout the title track. Stockfisch is a pretty reliable label for high-quality sound, too, so it was fun to find this. I've taken it to several dozen systems at various shows to see how well I can pick them out. Oh, and the tunes are pretty awesome too. LOL.

I do agree Barry that my comparisons are a bit apples and oranges (although I got them both out of the HD Tracks basket). Certainly the same mastering sent through each process path and finally as a downloadable high rez file would be the most convincing comparison but I am left with my two ears and the titles I bought.

"If you fly a flag of hate you are no kin to me"

Ry Cooder

Hi mwheelerk,

"...but I am left with my two ears and the titles I bought..."

I fully understand.

It is difficult, if not impossible to get a good comparison made from the same source. I remember when SACD first came out and some demos I attended, including one for the Audiophile Society of which I'm a member. Level differences abounded (guess which got played louder). Mastering differences too! Different engineers! Different recordings!

This was one of the things that led me to create the format comparison page on the Soundkeeper site, so folks could compare high res vs. Redbook from the same recording, same engineer, same mastering session.

If we're left with a dozen variables, it becomes difficult at best and more likely impossible, to ascertain exactly what accounts for the differences we hear.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Friends,

I am writing to ask if anyone has downloaded the newly released 24/48 resolution Eat a Peach from the Allman Brothers Band just posted on HDTracks?

I have the SACD and recently released Deluxe 2 CD set versions, and thus, wondering how the 24bit/48 kHz sounds in comparison.

Tom

Though not up to the same degree as her earlier work I do enjoy Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now and I am downloading it now.

You may or may not have noticed but basically all of the WB material that is being released in high resolution on HD Tracks was previously released by WB as DVD-Audio discs. Similarly many of the other pop/rock titles (including The Animals and Herman’s Hermits) now being offered were previously released as SACD. There are not too many that I see with few exceptions (Esperanza Spaulding, Gregg Allman) that have not previously been released in a high resoltuion disc format (DVD-Audio, SACD).

My point being that as for now I doubt that we see other Joni high resolution downloads at HD Tracks at least until the supply of previously released DVD-Audio (The Grateful Dead - American Beauty, Donald Fagen - Nightfly, two that I hope for) are exhausted.

"If you fly a flag of hate you are no kin to me"

Ry Cooder

Never went the SACD route. And DVD-A for me is only a source for ripping to HD. So if HDT makes previoiusly released formats available as hi-res downloads, I'm very happy.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)