IGNORED

...another Newbie...

Ciao!

Trying to make my first steps in the "computer hifi world", I discovered you site a couple of weeks ago. ...and I started to study.

Thanks a lot for your service: I'm finding a lot of answers to my questions... on the other hand, of course, new questions arise...

Reading your report on the DacMagic and the Bryston, I see that both DAC have the limit of 16 bits word length in the usb input.

In this case, having bought some flacs @24/88.2 from Linn records, either I use the toslink output of my macbook or I have to downsize quality of the recording converting them with MAX @16 bits or setting the mac MIDI configuration @16 bits.

I'm a bit confused: I thought the usb link a greater level of quality than the optical link... are there any DACs supporting 24/96 (or 192) on the usb link that don't cost a fortune?

At the moment I'm ripping my CD's with the EAC sw on PC (wav), and I'm using a MacBook with iTunes connected to a Behringer SRC2496 (wich I use also to record LP hard disk), but I was lookiing for a better DAC without the optical connection.

Thanks again!

Pietro