IGNORED

Best / Favorite Vinyl to Digital Software

So far, I've not done any clean-up on LP transfers. A lot of people on Macintouch swear by Clickrepair, saying it removes clicks without harming the music, but a few others say it does affect the music.

I just try to buy clean records and keep them that way.

Software? Built into the Masterlink ML-9600 CD recorder that I use for this. I've been resisting moving the recording to a computer. I do have a Luddite streak.

I posted this on a different topic (Vinyl to Digital hardware) but will post it here also... hopefully to get more input.

I've been using Pure Vinyl software on my Mac. Pure Vinyl is a full featured program that allows recording at multiple sampling and bit rates, editing pops/ticks, and saving in various formats. It even applies the RIAA equalization within the digital domain if you don't have a phono section on your preamp. It saves the original file in its raw state and does everything else in the digital domain on the fly. It seems to be oriented to the engineering types (which I'm not) and for me it was complex and confusing. I started this project (archiving my vinyl) last winter but had so many so bugs and glitches that, come spring, I gave up. Now I'm ready to start again with the latest version that hopefully addressed my previous problems.

I experimented somewhat with the editing features trying to remove ticks, etc. It involves identifying the waveform of the tick and selecting a suitable waveform (without the tick) from adjacent music, copying a small section of the good waveform and cutting and pasting that to the waveform of the tick. Confusing? It actually worked quite well even with my VERY limited experience at this sort of thing but as you can imagine it is time consuming and tedious, so beyond limited experimentation I have focused on just trying to record my albums.

Anyone know of a simpler program with multi sampling, multi storage modes, and some editing (ticks/pops) functions?

I'm interested to hear what other are doing and how it's worked for them. I'm a novice and like to follow the KISS principle!

Cheers,

PS: the parent corp of Pure Vinyl, Channel D, (at http://www.channld.com/software.html) also offers a software based signal analyzer, Signal/waveform generator, and Leq analyzer for Macs which some of your readers may be interested in. Disclaimer: I have no connection with this company and although I've had some bugs with Pure Vinyl they seem to make a professional quality product.

RHA

Thanks for the lead to ClickRepair. I've downloaded it and, in time, will post my experience. After reading the 50 page user guide boy do I have a lot to learn. Like you said... keeping your records clean (and only judicious use of editing software) is the way to go! ClickRepair definitely seems more user friendly than the editing process in Pure Vinyl.

Since my first post I've been doing a search for any software that might be helpful for my vinyl to HD project. Little did I know there are hundreds of programs out there, from commercial programs such as Roxio Toast (which includes the recording app "CD Spin Doctor") to a whole slew of Freeware/Shareware apps. To find the various Freeware/Shareware products I went to http://versiontracker.com/macosx/. Another shareware app that caught my eye was called Airfoil which is to send any audio to Airport Express or any other Mac on your network. Hum! Any experience with this?

The saga continues... thanks for your input.

Cheers,

RHA

Thanks for the lead to ClickRepair. I've downloaded it and, in time, will post my experience. After reading the 50 page user guide boy do I have a lot to learn. Like you said... keeping your records clean (and only judicious use of editing software) is the way to go! ClickRepair definitely seems more user friendly than the editing process in Pure Vinyl.

Since my first post I've been doing a search for any software that might be helpful for my vinyl to HD project. Little did I know there are hundreds of programs out there, from commercial programs such as Roxio Toast (which includes the recording app "CD Spin Doctor") to a whole slew of Freeware/Shareware apps. To find the various Freeware/Shareware products I went to http://versiontracker.com/macosx/. Another shareware app that caught my eye was called Airfoil which is to send any audio to Airport Express or any other Mac on your network. Hum! Any experience with this?

The saga continues... thanks for your input.

Cheers,

RHA

• 3 years later...