22 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

image.jpeg.64805f623555f6c067441acd439dfc5b.jpeg

I have been listening to this recording over the past week or so. It is scheduled to be released on August 6th. For those who are fans of Ms. Barber and in particular her album Nightclub, you will love this album. It is available this weekend only at Nativedsd.com for purchasers in the US only. It was recorded by Jim Anderson at DXD resolution at 32/352.8 and is available at 24/352.8 and many flavors of DSD. The only PCM variant available is the DXD. I would not post about it because of the later release but it is being offered this weekend so......  I was offered the 32/352.8 file which Audirvana plays as 32/192 through my Schiit Yggy. The performances and song stylings are fantastic and the sound is another Jim Anderson masterpiece.

I like the intimacy of the small group for this release. As with most Patricia Barber albums, it needs for me to listen to a few times to absorb the details and nuances. From a creative performance perspective, just right for night time listening.

For the DSD128 download, technically I've heard better sound staging from 48/24 or even Redbook releases. After all these years of 8' pianos, we still have them. After the first two tracks the hi hat appears in the left, and doesn't travel from centre to the left for example. Percussion is too hard right speaker, why not half way centre to right or behind Patricia.

Difficult to find any depth to this recording. Tonally quite good to excellent, with a slip of sibilance here and there. I thought there was something wrong, so played tracks I know have good sound stage and the instruments are all in the right places as I remember them, that includes other DSD128, 96, 48 & Redbook releases. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

12 hours ago, One and a half said:

I like the intimacy of the small group for this release. As with most Patricia Barber albums, it needs for me to listen to a few times to absorb the details and nuances. From a creative performance perspective, just right for night time listening.

For the DSD128 download, technically I've heard better sound staging from 48/24 or even Redbook releases. After all these years of 8' pianos, we still have them. After the first two tracks the hi hat appears in the left, and doesn't travel from centre to the left for example. Percussion is too hard right speaker, why not half way centre to right or behind Patricia.

Difficult to find any depth to this recording. Tonally quite good to excellent, with a slip of sibilance here and there. I thought there was something wrong, so played tracks I know have good sound stage and the instruments are all in the right places as I remember them, that includes other DSD128, 96, 48 & Redbook releases. 

This release was recorded at the same time as the Higher release and is a pure studio recording. Hence, I did not expect to hear tons of the room. I was provided with the studio master which I didn’t expect would have a bunch of EQ or compression added or reverb. I now have a few flat transfers from tape and digital recorded in a typical studio prior to the addition of those effects. That type of sound isn’t to everyone’s liking but I just love the pure tone of the instruments and voices. I have seen PB in clubs and she does have some sibilance when she sings. There is a plug in for that but I will have to ask Jim if he uses it. Hope you enjoyed the music!

27 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

That type of sound isn’t to everyone’s liking but I just love the pure tone of the instruments and voices.

...I have only heard a couple such recordings, and it is really fascinating to me. They really are so very different from what you typically receive later in the processing chain. If more folks ever heard such recordings, the discussions about recreating at home what was in the studio would be very different. Keep digging out the gems for us, @JoeWhip

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

5 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...I have only heard a couple such recordings, and it is really fascinating to me. They really are so very different from what you typically receive later in the processing chain. If more folks ever heard such recordings, the discussions about recreating at home what was in the studio would be very different. Keep digging out the gems for us, @JoeWhip

I only wish I could talk about them. Don’t want to get myself or anyone else into trouble.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:19 PM, JoeWhip said:

image.jpeg.64805f623555f6c067441acd439dfc5b.jpeg

I have been listening to this recording over the past week or so. It is scheduled to be released on August 6th. For those who are fans of Ms. Barber and in particular her album Nightclub, you will love this album. It is available this weekend only at Nativedsd.com for purchasers in the US only. It was recorded by Jim Anderson at DXD resolution at 32/352.8 and is available at 24/352.8 and many flavors of DSD. The only PCM variant available is the DXD. I would not post about it because of the later release but it is being offered this weekend so......  I was offered the 32/352.8 file which Audirvana plays as 32/192 through my Schiit Yggy. The performances and song stylings are fantastic and the sound is another Jim Anderson masterpiece.

I am pleased to announce that, on Aug 6 (the actual release date of the album) NativeDSD will offer this album in full 32/352.8k that Jim Anderson sent us (label sent MTFFs of course).  Also we'll offer what I think is the first stereo DSD1024 album version, as well as a 32 bit DXD multichannel version, as well.  This goes along with the other DXD and DSD versions we often sell. 

Sorry for the promo.  😎

On 6/8/2021 at 4:28 PM, ted_b said:

I am pleased to announce that, on Aug 6 (the actual release date of the album) NativeDSD will offer this album in full 32/352.8k that Jim Anderson sent us (label sent MTFFs of course).  Also we'll offer what I think is the first stereo DSD1024 album version, as well as a 32 bit DXD multichannel version, as well.  This goes along with the other DXD and DSD versions we often sell. 

Sorry for the promo.  😎

Ted, the 32/352.8 file is huge. I can’t imagine how big a DSD 1024 file will be.

15 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Ted, the 32/352.8 file is huge. I can’t imagine how big a DSD 1024 file will be.

Well maybe we need to sell a Starbucks gift card with it and have some coffee while you wait.  😎  But seriously, yes we will look at upload speeds and try to determine some best practices for these larger and larger files. 

55 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Well maybe we need to sell a Starbucks gift card with it and have some coffee while you wait.  😎  But seriously, yes we will look at upload speeds and try to determine some best practices for these larger and larger files. 

Maybe consider WavPack (.wv) format? Those who prefer the uncompressed .wav file can run a little utility to expand after download.