2 hours ago, Darryl R said:

(new DSD64)

Folder.jpg

Had my eye on this remaster for months and just now downloaded from Mora.  Purely coincidental I now see you guys listening to her!  I too like the other 24/192s of her DG stuff, but this hi-res is only available in DSD to my knowledge.

I that a DSD download or SACD? If the former, where did you find it? (By the way, she is the cover story on the June issue of Gramophone magazine.) 

I only recently found this out.  I know a very kind person with a working e-onkyo account who helps from time to time.  Much easier to have a friend already set up.

I know Emil Berliner produces 24/192 downloads for these legacy DG releases too, but PCM isn't in as much demand in Japan.  Nowadays, they often show up later in the West.

4 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Hi Piano1,

Download from mora.jp.  I periodically check for new releases on a site like CDJapan and note the release date.  Then around the release date I check e-onkyo or mora for a download.  Another way is to get the Universal Japan catalog number from CDJapan and Google it to see the download retailers:

ラヴェル: 夜のガスパール、ソナチネ、高雅で感傷的なワルツ [初回生産限定盤] [SHM仕様][SA-CD] - マルタ・アルゲリッチ - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN (universal-music.co.jp)

Now the whole Japanese download thing is problematic from the West.  You'll need to VPN into it for access, then comes the payment problem.  The easiest way I know is to plug a credit card into Rakuten and use them to pay on Mora:

How to easily buy music on Mora.jp with Rakuten Pay (astider.reviews)

All only for the hardcore collector of course ;)  Hope this helps.  Maybe you know it already.

There are private buyer services in Japan. Such can buy anything in Japan and ship anywhere in the world. With online purchase and download it should be so much easier.

11 hours ago, Darryl R said:

Hi Piano1,

Download from mora.jp.  I periodically check for new releases on a site like CDJapan and note the release date.  Then around the release date I check e-onkyo or mora for a download.  Another way is to get the Universal Japan catalog number from CDJapan and Google it to see the download retailers:

ラヴェル: 夜のガスパール、ソナチネ、高雅で感傷的なワルツ [初回生産限定盤] [SHM仕様][SA-CD] - マルタ・アルゲリッチ - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN (universal-music.co.jp)

Now the whole Japanese download thing is problematic from the West.  You'll need to VPN into it for access, then comes the payment problem.  The easiest way I know is to plug a credit card into Rakuten and use them to pay on Mora:

How to easily buy music on Mora.jp with Rakuten Pay (astider.reviews)

All only for the hardcore collector of course ;)  Hope this helps.  Maybe you know it already.

I managed to register- it wasn't easy - and pay. I got a DSD download of the Jarrett - The Koln Concert something that isn't available outside of Japan. The download was significantly cheaper than ordering an SACD. 

There's some interesting stuff on the mora site that isn't readily available outiside of Japan.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, firedog said:

I managed to register- it wasn't easy - and pay. I got a DSD download of the Jarrett - The Koln Concert something that isn't available outside of Japan. The download was significantly cheaper than ordering an SACD. 

There's some interesting stuff on the mora site that isn't readily available outiside of Japan.

For years Japanese have been the go-to sites for the latest and greatest.  They never seem to stop tinkering and reissuing.  It always intrigued me they were so much more interested in great recordings from the West.

Glad you were able to get in.  I had to translate the pages first to understand them, then switch them back for them to work.  The downloads are cheaper, and using a credit card without foreign trans fees helps a little more.

Btw, a few years ago I spoke with the tonmeister at Emil Berliner Studio who does these DG remasters, and he told me he goes from tape to 24/192 first, then from there to DSD.  So 24/192 is the native hi-res format for legacy DG releases from EBS (unless Rainer Maillard is doing something differently now, which I doubt).

Louise Phelan - Sounds from a Darkened Room

I liked the overall arrangements but a few slips here and there let it down a little.

455023493_Screenshot2021-05-16at17_24_02.thumb.jpg.58fc968394bc723729ec4b2001cca96c.jpg

Volumio (with PEQ) on RPi4, Khadas Tone Board DAC, Luxman L-230 amp, Rega RS5 speakers

9 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

A stunning performance of the Sonata No. 2 was recorded in May 1950. Horowitz doesn't seem to care at all about how the piece is played by others, or even how to play it properly. He handles the form, tempo, etc. freely. And if he succeeds, which is often the case, he blows the roof off.

1197878961_Screenshot2021-05-16at08_43_50.thumb.png.5f70e7471a0c1238661ef1e43df471e7.png

He was truly one of a kind. While almost never perfect technically, his interpretations were always a revelation.