2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Even nicer coincidence, I was just trying to find a nice HIP alternative to Mackerras, and am literally streaming Savall's recording right now before I opened your post. I have yet to find my preferred HIP version, between Bruggen, Jacobs, Immenseel, etc. Will have to do some more comparisons.

In general, I greatly favor HIP (historically informed performances), as I find them fresh and invigorating. In contrast, the old school "everything in the Romantic style" performances leave me cold. Probably why I have little nostalgia for the 50s-80s conductors...

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I "grew up" with Harnoncourt's cycle with the Concertgebouw, and still love them. I was aware of his somewhat weird late set with the Concentus Musicus, but not this one.

Doesn't seem to be on Qobuz unfortunately. I could only find a CD on Amazon, but since my iMac died I don't have anything anymore to rip those stupid things. Do you have a streaming or download source for these?

You can find some of it at 

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0825646885909

9 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Another performance of Beethovens Piano Sonatas, this time by Fazil Say. He has such a beautiful way of playing the piano.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 12.15.48 AM.png

Our choice of today music is similar.

Is there anyone who prefers Barenboim's most recent recording to this one (had given the former one only a very brief listen)? (16-44)

Beethoven - Complete Piano Sonatas - DG: 4631272 - 9 CDs or download |  Presto Classical

On 5/8/2021 at 4:12 PM, austinpop said:

My HIP comments notwithstanding, this seems to have garnered such glowing acclaim that I'm downloading now to try. Linn recordings rarely let me down!

You shouldn't be disappointed.  I've had this and the one with Nos. 29-36 and love them (also love the redbook Mackerras cycle from the 80's with the Prague Chamber Orchestra).

7 hours ago, austinpop said:

211EFB08-46C0-4280-93EA-5981C6356E8A.jpeg    52ED0310-9B72-4CC7-A090-331ADB1D9BCC.jpeg

The 38-41 is indeed wonderful, worthy of a place in my library alongside the Jordi Savall.

The 29-36 are excellent performances, but the SQ of the recording isn’t quite at the level of the other.

After I posted I listened to a few excerpts since it had been a while and I found the SQ reverberant to the point of obscuring detail in places.  But Mackerras is a wonderful Mozartian, and the performances in this and the Prague Chamber on Telarc are top-notch.  In the process I became reacquainted with these modern instrument versions, probably the best SQ in Mozart symphonies I have:

(24/88)

Folder.jpg