Ravel on an 1854 piano? If it sounds gimmicky, give it a chance. The performer (and performance) make a case for it.*

401467DA-6AFD-4510-911D-A01D3E2E7602.jpeg.a1c37a307a52e522f57e7bf5ced495d3.jpeg

* From the performer’s statement:

”The concept and performance of a work are affected by the instrument one plays. To bring out the Baroque aspect of two pieces in particular, Le Tombeau de Couperin and Menuet sur le nom de Haydn. I wanted a piano with harpsichord-like articulation and sonority. That is why I decided to record this album on an Érard, a very special piano whose sonority and vibrations recreate the sounds, and thus the soul and mood, of the time of Ravel and of the first Impressionists. As you listen, I invite you to imagine you are looking at great masterpieces by the likes of Monet, Cézanne, Pissarro, Sisley, Manet, Degas, and Morisot!”

Another sampling from my Gil Shaham binge (I don't think I cared about the Bartók until now):

Folder.jpg

PS - I was blown away by the cadenza in the new Beethoven.  His chords sounded like more than is possible for one person, and the sound quality was so fine.

I stumbled across this album from a Canadian artist that I had never heard of, then or since. It was recommended to me by a friend who managed one of Detroit's largest music stores. This had to be 1989-90. Pulled it out of the collection, wiped off the dust, and enjoyed it again tonight. I would be shocked if anyone, even on this most knowledgeable of sites was even remotely familiar with it. I believe he all but disappeared from the music scene forever within a few years after, though apparently he still did some producing. A shame, as he displayed some significant talent here, even sounding, on a  couple of cuts, somewhat like Peter Gabriel. And when was the last time anyone mentioned that? 

JC

See the source image