First I ever heard Winterreise arranged as it is here for baritone and string quartet. I like the results, which make the singer sound more like part of an ensemble than a recitalist standing in a spotlight. Also, the singer happens to be pretty good, as does the quartet, and Channel Classics as usual provides great SQ. Now if they can just explain the cover art ...

1CAC71C9-7FCE-4658-A367-9533E41E57C4.thumb.jpeg.9ebae9a77d889a5a2a2879470bd7b84d.jpeg

Trying out Volumio right now and playing this LP I know well.

Screenshot_20210226-190115.png

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

13 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

yeah, Prince and I were like water and oil... we never mixed.

Not only you. I've heard a number of stories of him inviting other well known people, that he somehow came across to his house for parties and pointedly never even speaking to them while they were there. He was an extremely talented, but very strange dude by all accounts! 

JC

6 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Not only you. I've heard a number of stories of him inviting other well known people, that he somehow came across to his house for parties and pointedly never even speaking to them while they were there. He was an extremely talented, but very strange dude by all accounts! 

JC

I think the talent comes with the strangeness. People like him have something you and I don't, but it appears they also lose something as well.

No electron left behind.

33 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

People are the same essentially, egos are different, both own and those, individually projected on others.

You don't think there are potential physical differences in the brain, for example, that can explain the awesome talents he displayed in music? And not just him, but many prodigies.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I think the talent comes with the strangeness. People like him have something you and I don't, but it appears they also lose something as well.

Agreed, though the strangeness can be different in degree, and type. I remember hearing Steven Van Zandt being interviewed a couple years ago about the fact that he had spent all these years working with Bruce Springsteen, and how that compared to the several years he was in the smash hit cable series The Soprano's and worked with the noted director of that series, who later directed Game Of Thrones, and a number of other very successful things. He said something, paraphrasing it as best I recall, to the effect that "Those guys are just different than the rest of us. They aren't like us. Their minds don't work like ours do. They see things we don't, and have the ability and ambition act on them and do whatever it takes." 

Not sure if I have that word for word, exactly right, but the essence of it is there. No question that the majority of vastly successful and incredibly talented people are indeed different, in more ways than one.

JC

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

You don't think there are potential physical differences in the brain, for example, that can explain the awesome talents he displayed in music?

There were examples of hip hop fans who began their interest in eg classical music after a heart transplant in which the donor was a classical music lover. 

We are not only brains. And not only brains and hearts.. Maybe I will stop here.. x-D