12 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Not my absolute favorite Jarrett concert but I had to buy it anyhow.  

The SQ unfortunately isn’t up to ECM standard to my ears. 

A19264E9-7871-4CD1-85B4-C6015D6B40BF.png

Hmm... What is wrong with SQ? Can you name a couple of Jarrett's recent solo albums, where quality is okay for comparison? I didn't pay attention to any flaws. Maybe the audience sounds were strangely cut and inserted at the end.

ClassicsToday calls this a "Major Discovery," and I guess in some ways it is although not because of any profundity that such a designation might seem to imply. I think what they are getting at is the idea that this is light, enjoyable and even fun stuff by a composer not always known for being light, enjoyable or fun, plus it is very nicely played and recorded. 

4B53AC65-1052-4137-B9D6-43A510D36DD0.thumb.jpeg.229093fb89e656873441c1ce14eea5c2.jpeg

3 hours ago, Musicophile said:

It sounds a bit boxy to me and lacking some treble. 

I prefer Munich for example which was nearly contemporary, or take Paris/London Testament or Rio. 

Recording live solo piano is always tricky as you depend on the venue. But ECM is mostly quite audiophile so I expected a bit more. 

But then again the Köln concert clearly isn’t audiophile either (and the piano was even somewhat broken), and I don’t care. 

It's a strange thing... I've listened to it several times since it came out a week or so ago, both in headphones and in loudspeakers. I didn't pay any attention to the sound quality at all, maybe because I was too captured by the content of the music? In light of recent news, I am satisfied with new Jarrett in any quality that can be considered acceptable, perhaps. All his ECM solo albums do sound different, because of venue, or instrument, as Köln. I guess the only solo album which was recorded not well was the very first one for ECM, Facing You. But does it really matter? :-) 

17 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It's a strange thing... I've listened to it several times since it came out a week or so ago, both in headphones and in loudspeakers. I didn't pay any attention to the sound quality at all, maybe because I was too captured by the content of the music? In light of recent news, I am satisfied with new Jarrett in any quality that can be considered acceptable, perhaps. All his ECM solo albums do sound different, because of venue, or instrument, as Köln. I guess the only solo album which was recorded not well was the very first one for ECM, Facing You. But does it really matter? :-) 

If this weren't ECM I wouldn't even have noticed. But they have done some of my favorite audiophile classics (e.g. Standards vol 2) so my expectations were high.