When it is not possible to make a choice between several suitable options, because each one is very good in its own way, what remains? Some, like the musicians of the Berlin Philharmonic, choose bad option while electing new chief conductor not long ago. The new recording of the 7th Symphony would be recommended to those who want to hear Beethoven's energy and inspiration free. The signature lush sound of the orchestra is more annoying than pleasing in a boring interpretation.

P.S.: No idea what is pictured on a cover. Any guesses?

IMG_2552.thumb.jpg.a8c726594a4020603247c9f74c378f3d.jpg

8 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

When it is not possible to make a choice between several suitable options, because each one is very good in its own way, what remains? Some, like the musicians of the Berlin Philharmonic, choose bad option while electing new chief conductor not long ago. The new recording of the 7th Symphony would be recommended to those who want to hear Beethoven's energy and inspiration free. The signature lush sound of the orchestra is more annoying than pleasing in a boring interpretation.

P.S.: No idea what is pictured on a cover. Any guesses?

IMG_2552.thumb.jpg.a8c726594a4020603247c9f74c378f3d.jpg

Tchaikovsky no.6 is better from them.

14 hours ago, EuroChamp said:

Tchaikovsky no.6 is better from them.

It might be. Not a big fan of Tchaikovsky 6th, so never happen to listen recording you mentioned even though I am pretty aware it was Petrenko's debut recording in a new position. Last time I was listening this piece was with Currentzis, but it is very difficult to compare with anything else because of massive post-production in studio.

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It might be. Not a big fan of Tchaikovsky 6th, so never happen to listen recording you mentioned even though I am pretty aware it was Petrenko's debut recording in a new position. Last time I was listening this piece was with Currentzis, but it is very difficult to compare with anything else because of massive post-production in studio.

Yes, that is only one reason to disqualify the Currentzis.  OTOH, there are many excellent recordings of this from the reference (if that's possible) Mavrinsky to the massive Honeck (in multichannel DSD256).  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 minute ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Yes, that is only one reason to disqualify the Currentzis.  OTOH, there are many excellent recordings of this from the reference (if that's possible) Mavrinsky to the massive Honeck (in multichannel DSD256).  

Honeck is very good with 6th. Still I love dearly old Mravinsky recordings from which I would prefer the one from first (mono) set of last three symphonies on DG. Second, stereo, again on DG is also very good, but it is not so tense and genuinely scary as the first one. I also had old Soviet LPs of Mravinsky and other original performers many years ago, but they sound too harsh even in a long forgotten impressions.

11 hours ago, orresearch said:

This is the 2020 release and newly recorded version.  But I m so fond of the old version that I have a hard time with the new version.  Anyone shares the same feeling ?    To me, his more mellow singing in this just, regretfully, could not match the passion and edge exhibited in the original.

Cover.jpg

Very hard for me to listen to this. Some albums, like when you release one of the greatest works in folk history, recorded with some of the greatest ambience ever, should just be left alone to  stand for all time. I did not find this very engaging. Must my opinion

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Honeck is very good with 6th. Still I love dearly old Mravinsky recordings from which I would prefer the one from first (mono) set of last three symphonies on DG. Second, stereo, again on DG is also very good, but it is not so tense and genuinely scary as the first one. I also had old Soviet LPs of Mravinsky and other original performers many years ago, but they sound too harsh even in a long forgotten impressions.

I also really liked Petrenko‘s Pathetique. It’s actually the first time I really appreciated this piece, which previously I didn’t particularly like. 

That said, I’m also a bit ambivalent about the Beethoven 7 recording. It wasn’t an immediate hit for me. Will have to give it another spin. 

But maybe Beethoven just isn’t his core repertoire?

43 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

[...]

But maybe Beethoven just isn’t his core repertoire?

If not, the question stays the same: is such conductor appropriate for one of the best orchestras of the world particularly known for its immaculate Beethoven performances?

On the other hand, at a time when almost everything is upside down, maybe such a ridiculous Beethoven is just the most appropriate and can be approved as a "new normal".

On 9/29/2020 at 10:53 PM, orresearch said:

This is the 2020 release and newly recorded version.  But I m so fond of the old version that I have a hard time with the new version.  Anyone shares the same feeling ?    To me, his more mellow singing in this just, regretfully, could not match the passion and edge exhibited in the original.

Cover.jpg

Yes. Best to view it as a sentimental revisiting of a great work of art. But now that I have heard it, I feel no need to do so again.