41 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

The whole set of 32 sonatas can be bought at Presto Classical for $4. Yes, four. 

Yes, but you don't get 'long playing microgroove (I like this word!) full frequency range recording' in this case 9_9

As for the 'glorious mono' for me personally it's microglory..;) - I'm sorry, I don't like mono :)

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

The first Wilhelm Backhaus' set of all Beethoven sonatas, recorded in glorious mono in early 50's. Backhaus heard Brahms conducting live and died few days after Brian Jones. Excellent interpretation, completely devoid of false profundity. The whole set of 32 sonatas can be bought at Presto Classical for $4. Yes, four. 

Can you share the link?  Thanks.

11 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Yes, but you don't get 'long playing microgroove (I like this word!) full frequency range recording' in this case 9_9

As for the 'glorious mono' for me personally it's microglory..;) - I'm sorry, I don't like mono :)

Long playing microgroove: My understanding is, they where able to put more time per side on the vinyl.

Backhaus is that good, I do not care too much if it is mono only.

I wonder if it is a 16/44.1 version? There are new release available on Qobuz in High-Res. Are they a different recording?

55 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

Long playing microgroove: My understanding is, they where able to put more time per side on the vinyl.

I wonder if it is a 16/44.1 version? There are new release available on Qobuz in High-Res. Are they a different recording?

Exactly, Backhaus is that good. Besides, some of the greatest available recordings of classical music exist in mono only. And, if we speak about Beethoven's complete sonata sets, some people like earlier mono at least the same as later stereo, if not more. Backhaus stereo set was recorded in 60s. It is also very good.

1 hour ago, EuroChamp said:

Yes, mono set is 16/44. Qobuz has both sets.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:37 PM, kumakuma said:

Gidon Nunes Vaz Quartet - Embrace Me

New from Sound Liaison

folder.thumb.jpg.0315dd2ef42a93233fe4b76cdb629e33.jpg

Superb review in Hifi recording and review.

"

HIFI NEWS AND RECORD REVIEW 

of

Gidon Nunes Vas

EMBRACE ME

Definitely an audiophile recording......

the result is spectacular, with a warm, generous ambience you can almost reach out and touch each instrument;

Gidon Nunez Vaz' trumpet, Timothy Banchet's piano, Thomas Pol's bass and the drums of the splendidly named Yoran Vroom- lovingly captured. And Denise Jannah's vocals on four of the tracks are simply gorgeous. The end result is a gentle, measured and totally appealing set. 

A.E