Speaking of Mel Tormé, I've really been enjoying this lately:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1504[/ATTACH]

Mel Tormé and the Marty Paich Dek-Tette, The 1956 Tormé-Paich Legendary Sessions. Mel at the top of his form, and the Paich arrangements are sublime. (Remember that Paich was the arranger on the great Art Pepper + Eleven album.)

--David

Excuse my OT, ALL.

Those are two (2) albums I would add to my library (and just did, Mel Torme on backorder). Thank you for the recommendations. I am just now scanning the last of my jazz collection which although converted to AIFF in my iTunes Library, I also scan the collection into a music database that I keep on computer/iPad2/iPod Touch so that my wife can easily select an album/song and start it with Remote App, or a guest can sort through the database and select something s/he prefer I play for them.

Again, thank you, I am sure I will love those two.

Best,

Richard

I am sure I will love those two.

I'm pretty sure you will. Paich has to be the premier arranger for jazz ensembles in the low two digits. It's all just so right.

(I am amazed that I actually had two jazz albums you didn't already own.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I'm pretty sure you will. Paich has to be the premier arranger for jazz ensembles in the low two digits. It's all just so right.

(I am amazed that I actually had two jazz albums you didn't already own.)

--David

So much for apologies for being OT. Here I go again.

And I am grateful you made me aware. That's the serendipity quality of this thread and Chris creativity. It's a horse race, but this thread is way up there as one of my favorite threads as it encapsulates the prime motive for CA, i.e., (with humility) to share, challenge, help, solve and share a wealth of music collections that someone like myself can be pointed toward two albums of artists significantly in my collection but for...Ergo, thank you David.

Best,

Richard

John Pizzarelli: Knowing You XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF.

John Pizzarelli Knowing You.jpg

Ray Brown Trio: Ray Brown / Monty Alexander / Russell Malone [special Edition] SACD; XLD conversion hybrid SACD to AIFF.

Ray Brown Trio Ray Brown : Monty Alexander : Russell Malone [Special Edition].jpg

Rosemary Clooney & John Pizzarelli: Brazil XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF.

Rosemary Clooney & Pizzarelli.jpg

Music heals,

Richard

Feel free to laugh but Madonna's album "Ray of Light". Unlike some of her albums, the music is quite good. Madonna pulled in electronic musician/producer William Orbit, and together they knocked it out of the park.

The sound quality is outstanding. Tons of detail, MASSIVE soundstaging, clarity, deep bass, you name it. This is a great album to show off the capabilities of your system.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Feel free to laugh but Madonna's album "Ray of Light". Unlike some of her albums, the music is quite good. Madonna pulled in electronic musician/producer William Orbit, and together they knocked it out of the park.

The sound quality is outstanding. Tons of detail, MASSIVE soundstaging, clarity, deep bass, you name it. This is a great album to show off the capabilities of your system.

No need to preface a choice made about music you appreciate at least from my perspective. Music is in the ears of the beholder. I learn more from what I did not know that some one pointed me to. For example my copy of Art Pepper + Eleven just arrived from Amazon. Even though I have an Art Pepper collection I missed this one. Thank you to Dave who made me aware of this release in this thread.

Art Pepper: Art Pepper + Eleven XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF.

Art Pepper + Eleven.jpg

Thank you for good recommendations All, any time,

Richard

Herb Pomeroy Live At Sandy's SACD. Mastered by Mark Levinson to pure DSD from the original 30ips master tape. My tables up front.

Herb Pomeroy Live At Sandy's.jpg

JS Bach: The Art of Fugue by J.S. Bach SACD. Again, mastered by Mark Levinson to pure DSD from the original 30ips master tape. Marvelous listening

JS Bach The Art of The Fugue.jpg

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Wilco: Sky Blue Sky. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. SQ very good. Redbook sounds a little compressed as in bright. But still very, very listenable.

Wilco SkyBlue Sky.jpg

Elton John & Leon Russell: The Union. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Excellent.

Elton John & Leon Russell The Union.jpg

Gillian Welch: The Harrow and The Harvest. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Excellent redbook SQ.

Gillian Welch The harvest.jpg

Enjoying the Music. Thank you to those who recommended Wilco and Welch many months ago. Sweet dreams,

Richard

A Price of Rubies Original Sound track; XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Score is simply intoxicating. Lesley Barber's score is so visual as to put one into the film.

Lesley Barber A Price Above Rubies.jpg

Mel Tormé and Marty Paich: Torme - Paich, The 1956 Legendary Sessions XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Gorgeous arrangements with Mel Torme's voice in perfect form. Backed by fabulous muscians. The recommendation from a member was correcto mundo (as Jules from Pulp Fiction would say it).

Mel Torme & Marty Paich The 1956 Legendary Sessions.jpg

Art Pepper: Art Pepper + Eleven XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Played it again. Paich arrangements and big band accompaniment works so well.

Art Pepper + Eleven.jpg

Wow! Great night of music after a long, long day.

Richard

Joni Mitchell: Miles of Aisles [Live]. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Doesn't get any better.

Joni Mitchell Miles of Aisles.jpg

Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim: Sinatra/Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings [Original Recording Remastered]. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. What's not to love?

Sinatra Jobim.jpg

Keith Jarrett Jan Garbarek Palle Danielsson Jon Christenssen: Sleeper: Tokyo, April 16, 1979 XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Involving.

Keith Jarrett Sleeper.jpg

Wes Montgomery: A Day In The Life SHM-SACD: Glorious

Wes Montgomery A Day In The Life.jpg

Great night of massage and music.

Richard

Keith Jarrett Jan Garbarek Palle Danielsson Jon Christenssen: Sleeper: Tokyo, April 16, 1979 Disc 2. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. More involving.

Keith Jarrett Sleeper.jpg

Secret Garden: The Best of Secret Garden: 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection [Original Recording Remastered]. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Entertaining music for mostly listening.

Secret Garden.jpg

Martha Argerich/Frederick Chopin (1810 - 1849) Piano Sonata No. 3 in B Minor, Op. 58 SHM-SACD. Excellent SQ. Piano Master.

Martha Argerich Chopin Sonata 3.jpg

Great evening of music to relax by,

Richard

Keith Jarrett Jan Garbarek Palle Danielsson Jon Christenssen: Sleeper: Tokyo, April 16, 1979 Disc 2. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. More involving.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1576[/ATTACH]

Great evening of music to relax by,

Richard

This one is now available in 24/96 on Highresaudio. Would the sound quality be worth it?

HIGHRESAUDIO | Home of audiophile music - Keith Jarrett - Sleeper

If you are asking me personally, have not heard the DL. The redbook 2 disc edition is very good re SQ. I also believe HDtracks has added sleeper to their catalogue.

Best,

Richard

Thanks. Just for clarification, I was referring to the sound quality of the recording you already have. Anyhow, ECM stuff is usually well recorded.

Thanks. Just for clarification, I was referring to the sound quality of the recording you already have. Anyhow, ECM stuff is usually well recorded.

Ah, that is what I thought was the meaning of your communication. My experience is that ECM is usually well recorded as you state. Sometimes on my system, slightly over bright.

Sleeper 2 Disc edition, I hear as very good in SQ. I have a fairly comprehensive Keith Jarrett collection and wanted the "hard copy" to add to. As your query to me concerns specifically the redbook 2Disc CD, I would not hesitate to purchase that edition. I was tempted to purchase the HDtracks DL at 96/24, but, honestly, the Sleeper edition I have converted by XLD to AIFF is very satisfactory. If you decide to add the redbook edition, I'll be happy to hear about your assessment.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Last night's listening was:

1. Big Phat Band - That's How We Roll (If you like really good Big Jazz Bands then definitely check out The Big Phat Band).

2. Stacy Kent - Clarksville

3. Coleman Hawkins - Today and Now

4. Ray Brown and John Clayton - Tribute to Freddie Green (Super Bass).

Arnie

Ah, that is what I thought was the meaning of your communication. My experience is that ECM is usually well recorded as you state. Sometimes on my system, slightly over bright.

Sleeper 2 Disc edition, I hear as very good in SQ. I have a fairly comprehensive Keith Jarrett collection and wanted the "hard copy" to add to. As your query to me concerns specifically the redbook 2Disc CD, I would not hesitate to purchase that edition. I was tempted to purchase the HDtracks DL at 96/24, but, honestly, the Sleeper edition I have converted by XLD to AIFF is very satisfactory. If you decide to add the redbook edition, I'll be happy to hear about your assessment.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Thanks. I'm with you, if I have something in redbook, I usually don't buy it again in 24/96 unless it is one of my absolute favorite albums. However, I don't have it yet, so I was wondering whether the sound quality of the recording is good enough so that hires can actually make a difference.

I'll probably give it a try.