On 8/19/2020 at 10:10 PM, JoeWhip said:

And one the jazz scribes overlook. I had the honor to see him live in NY in the 90’s. He never lost a step.

Agree. I also saw him live in the 90s. A truly memorable experience.

Didn’t know this album yet will check it out.

Another great performance - and decent quality recording - from Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. The lyrics and the monologues are a bit ham-fisted (the music is certainly the more sophisticated part of this show), but still it tells a difficult message that bears repeating, and wraps it up in an appealing musical/dramatic package.90DC9216-6B52-4EF7-8BA5-617CF3FC9D2C.thumb.jpeg.43202812a40daf3b116da49094d11bee.jpeg

3 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Another great performance - and decent quality recording - from Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. The lyrics and the monologues are a bit ham-fisted (the music is certainly the more sophisticated part of this show), but still it tells a difficult message that bears repeating, and wraps it up in an appealing musical/dramatic package.90DC9216-6B52-4EF7-8BA5-617CF3FC9D2C.thumb.jpeg.43202812a40daf3b116da49094d11bee.jpeg

Thanks for mentioning.

I have to say that the cover art freaks me out though...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, WAM said:

Never listen to Live at the IT Club, must check it out. Now listening to

monktime.jpg

From all music.com review "Although often unrightfully maligned by self-proclaimed "purists," Thelonious Monk did some brilliant work during his early- to mid-'60s stint for Columbia Records. It's Monk's Time (1964) contains some of the best -- if not arguably the best -- studio sides that the pianist cut during his final years as a recording musician. "