1 hour ago, Jud said:

My favorite recording of the Cello Suites by a large margin is by David Watkin. Apparently he has an illness that affects his playing and knew this would be his last chance to record these pieces. The recording is invested with the emotion you might expect under the circumstances. Won the Gramophone and BBC awards, richly deserving of both. 24/96 selling for $10.99 on Qobuz.

Watkin Bach Cello Suites.jpg

Got this recording when it was issued. It's among my three favorite performances of the CS for sure. 

image.thumb.png.a0a4d435e88c66549e7860a191b035c9.png

Jason Isbell has been opening up his vault of concert recordings, and making them available on Bandcamp.  With Bandcamp's Friday "all proceeds go to the artist" deal, I picked up a bunch today.  The Alabama date is absolutely lovely, and really captures the feel of being at an Isbell concert.  Looking forward to giving the CO and NY dates a listen as well.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

The performance here is something of a mixed bag, but with almost two hours of music you can skip what you don't like and probably still find a lot you do like. But regardless of that, the SQ is amazing ... dynamics and transients and tone are super realistic to my ears. Although given that, the mix includes one of my pet peeves, namely 180-degree stereo-panned drums that I refer to as "Paul Bunyan's Drum Set."  Anyway, dip into this one to hear what if anything grabs you!

166BB9DA-5029-494F-B981-CEFCE7997DC6.thumb.jpeg.726bb2956bb3f01d88e5bb0f4d915162.jpeg

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

Sampling some TRPTK DXD recordings someone mentioned...

image.png

Nice one. Good sound, too. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1006408774_JoanShelley-Bomhard.jpg.d1236ba4cfb5bda4035b2e3e74216455.jpg

Joan Shelley - Live at the Bomhard

Great collaborators and acoustics make this a wonderful live recording.

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

On 8/7/2020 at 11:08 PM, austinpop said:

Sampling some TRPTK DXD recordings someone mentioned...

image.png

Some of you may have already listened to this, but I'm sharing it for those who may have not.
It's one of my favourite albums. Great saxophone and oud (ud) playing by two masters.
Great recording too.

Madar by Jan Garbarek & Anouar Brahen
https://tidal.com/browse/album/13039289

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

D7275FE6-1598-4F8B-AE08-EE074B8FAB0F.thumb.jpeg.e15cd83c4fff99e9d142f55c03ce1cce.jpeg

A really compelling performance that pulls the listener right in. I also like the sound, recorded in St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Belvedere, CA. I mention that because the capsule review of this album on Roon states (I don't agree) that "... the only complaint is the rather harsh church acoustic." I think the acoustic is fine, but maybe I have just grown accustomed to listening to lots of recitals in churches. Anyway, below is a picture of the church sanctuary where the recording was made, and I guess the brutalist concrete surfaces do suggest some harshness, and the high ceiling matches the relatively reverberant sound of the recording, but YMMV.

1B8B2855-A6E5-44BD-BB01-825C06062AAD.jpeg.36eb8503787df548a9d6f7f2bd1637d4.jpegImage published at megperotti.com may be subject to copyright.