I am getting pulled into South American live jazz lately,  and this one from La Resistiencia at the club Thelonius in Santiago is a great recording. (Never been to that club but had a great evening a dozen years ago at a jazz club by the same name in Buenos Aires, where they also know a thing or two about jazz.)

003E5370-BC8E-456B-9E78-28FC4B121424.thumb.jpeg.bcc832c60b7caca9b300b8f00fb29a91.jpeg

First listen. A very fluid and every now and then - slow, contemplative playing. I like it. Check it out for yourselves if you haven't heard it yet, guys, IMO it's worth it. Think I may come to the conclusion that I want this recording (mp3 stream).

[IMG] 

Does the world need recomposed cello suites.?
I think I will be able to answer this question (from a subjective point of view obviously) in 20-30min. Also first listen (and also mp3 stream).

[IMG]

2 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings (2018)

Something fresh, isn't it? I'm a fan, I'd recommend checking out his other recordings as well if you don't know them.

Enjoying this mainly for the Falstaff, which is a stirring performance. It's wonderfully well recorded by Decca (is that a redundant statement?). I loved when Muti took over as Music Director at the CSO (my former hometown band),  but here I am reminded what Chicago lost when Barenboim quit that post.

Also, I am finding the singing on Sea Pictures is very good, even if the piece I don't find to be my cup of tea (and here I must admit I had never heard - or heard of - Sea Pictures prior to this so the above comes with that caveat. YMMV.).

373B5372-BF3C-44CD-921B-B1D415F35727.thumb.jpeg.2c7857a32a9abd311f50edb0efeefb52.jpeg

58 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

Check out this one also:

https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/paco078?_pos=2&_sid=efc2d4d5c&_ss=r

Got my highest rating!

Isn't that the same recording? I don't think Giulini recorded Don Giovanni twice in 1959.

Now it would be interesting to see if the official 24/96 Warner remaster by Andrew Walter at Abbey Road studios, which is apparently sourced from the original master tapes (it sounds really quite good given it's age, I just purchased it on Qobuz) is better or worse than the Pristine remaster, which looks like it is sourced from an LP transfer.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Isn't that the same recording? I don't think Giulini recorded Don Giovanni twice in 1959.

Now it would be interesting to see if the official 24/96 Warner remaster by Andrew Walter at Abbey Road studios, which is apparently sourced from the original master tapes (it sounds really quite good given it's age, I just purchased it on Qobuz) is better or worse than the Pristine remaster, which looks like it is sourced from an LP transfer.

It definitely is the same recording. The Pristine is excellent. In fact so good, I'd be surprised if the Warner can reach that level.
Where is yours from? Qobuz?

2 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I listened to this recently and was also very surprised at the relatively poor sound quality. As you noted, very, very unlike ECM in my experience too.And a shame, as the music and performance deserves far better. 

JC

I guess there was a reason why it hasn't been released for almost 50 years. I don't think this was ever intended as an album.