Anton Bruckner (1824-1896) Symphony No. 7 in E Major (Haas version): Bruckner Symphony No. 7, XRCD24; Takashi Asahina conducts the Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra for this performance of Bruckner's Seventh Symphony recorded live on September 13, 1983 at St. Mary's Cathedral in Tokyo.. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF.

Bruckner 7th Takashi Asahina conducts the Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra.jpg

Coyote Oldman: House Made of Dawn. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Journey for the DreamTime.

Sweet dreams then,

Richard

Coyote Oldman House Made of Dawn.jpg

Ripped (Audacity) from original 1969 Nonesuch Explorer vinyl; DR 17

folder.jpg

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

Cassandra Wilson: Another Country DL HDtracks listed as 48/24 but plays showing resolution as 96/24. Max conversion from Flac to AIFF. I am fan of Ms. Wilson. If it's slightly compressed, still sounds very good. Enjoy her style, her presence.

Cassandra Wilson Another Country.jpg

Billie Holiday: Lady Sings The Blues DL 96/24 HDtracks. Max conversion from Flac to AIFF. Good enough to thoroughly enjoy her voice, her style, the undercurrents of her life.

Billie Holiday Lady Sings The Blues.jpg

Frank Sinatra: Only The Lonely Mofi. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. About as good as it gets.

Frank sinatra Only The Lonely Mofi.jpg

Jimmy Smith: Angel Eyes XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Excellent SQ. Musicians are grand.

Sweet Dreams,

Richard

Jimmy Smith angel eyes.jpg

George Garzone: four's and two's XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Superb musicianship. Joe Lovona is the second Tenor/soprano saxophone. Great arrangements. Excellent SQ.

George Garzone four's and two's.jpg

Manu Katché: Neighbourhood XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. After a recommendation from this thread, long time listener since then. Highly enjoyable music and musicianship.

Manu Katche Neighborhood.jpg

Sarah Vaughn: The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions Disc 1/8. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Incomparable. Any of the 13 albums on 8 discs.

Great night for music. Sweet dreams,

Richard

Sarah Vaughn Complete Box Set.jpg

Janatha Brooke: The Works XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Accompanied by great musicians and special guests.

Jonatha Brooke The Works.jpg

André Previn with Joe Pass and Ray Brown: After Hours LIM K2 mastered 100Hz/32 Bits. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. SQ is excellent. But the ambiance is not optimal (sounds like in a hall) and there are tracks with a kitchen clock ticking sound (no drums listed) that I found quite offensive a la Captain Hook and the alligator experience. Still the musicianship is superb. Disappointed (expensive too)

Best,

Richard

Andre Previn Joe Pass Ray Brown After Hours.jpg

Replayed After Hours using the actual disc with my Oppo BDP-95 as source. SQ is excellent. The Ultra HD quality mastering is discernible. The Captain Hook/alligator clock ticking sound is what I expected incipiently but was surprised by its prominence in the recording. Obviously it's Ray Brown's bass strings striking the fret board or whatever the neck is called. The sound is unpleasant and for me disconcerting as I would expect the bass to sound like a bass and not a ticking clock.

Still the recording is gorgeous. Perhaps XLD has it's limitations because the conversion is no where near the SQ when the CD is played. Felt responsible for adding this information.

Best,

Richard

Andre Previn Joe Pass Ray Brown After Hours.jpg

Got my hands on this test cd and can't get enough, I'll have to track down each albums.

199818_t.jpg

mcintosh_test_cd_cover.jpg

01. Stravinsky - The Firebird Suite - Internal Dance (Excerpt) [0:04:49.15]

02. Starker - Duo For Violin And Cello, Op. 7 - Allegro Serioso, Non Troppo (Reorded In Japan [0:07:56.51]

03. Dvorak - Symphony No.9 In E Minor, Op.95, From The New World - Allegro Con Fuoco [0:03:40.13]

04. Scchedrin - The Carmen Balet - Iw. Torero [0:02:41.19]

05. Voices Of Angels - Vos Flores Rosarum [0:03:21.46]

06. Aaron Copland - Billy The Kid (Suite From The Ballet) - Gun Battle [0:02:05.70]

07. Antonio Vivaldi - Four Seasons - Concerto In E Major, RV 269 "Spring" I, Allegro [0:03:22.28]

08. Astor Piazzolla - Libertango (Tangos Arranged For Saxophone And Orchestra) [0:04:44.64]

09. Beethoven - Adagio Cantabile From Sonata Op.13 (Pathetique) [0:05:46.07]

10. Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14 Marche Au Supplice (Marche To The Scaffold), Alle [0:04:28.55]

11. Macal - The Red Poppy, Ballet Suite, Op.70 - Heroic Coolie Dance [0:04:03.24]

12. Macal - The Red Poppy, Ballet Suite, Op. 70 - Chinese Dance [0:02:04.48]

13. Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Serenade For Strings, Op 48, II, Walzer [0:03:58.41]

14. Dmitri Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10 In E Minor, Opus 93 II, Allegro [0:04:28.53]

15. Aaron Copland - The Red Pony - Happy Ending [0:03:07.22]

MacPro Xeon/Audirvana-ITunes/USB/W4S DAC2 SE/ADAM Delta

Dave Grusin: Discovered Again! Plus (XRCD24 Master) XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. SQ is superb. Sound stage rendered with great care. If not a masterpiece, thoroughly entertaining music to dine, make love, sip champagne. Your call.

Dave Grusin Discovered Again Plus.jpg

Holly Cole: Temptation. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Clearly Cole's recordings are high quality with exceptional SQ. Because they make it so. As Jonatha Brooke channeled Woody, Holly interprets Tom Waits and does so not as Tom but as Holly Cole with exceptional insight into his music. Just what it takes to get into the sensuality of music that remains a pull on us to return again and again.

Enjoying the music and glad to,

Richard

Holly Cole Temptation.jpg

The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Out K2 HD 100kHz / 24-bit Mastering. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Simply gorgeous. Better than the Analogue Productions Hybrid SACD version (I happen to have). Also did you know:The album cover art is a painting by Neil Fujita, Director of Design and Packaging at Columbia Records from 1954 to 1960. I didn't until recently. Expensive but worth the price.

Dave Brubeck Time Out K2.jpg

Frederick Chopin (1810 - 1849) & Martha Argerich: Martha Argerich/Chopin/Piano Sonata No. 3 in B Minor, Op. 58 SHM SACD. No way to convert to DSD. Played through Oppo BDP-95. Gorgeous. Always loved her style of playing as well as others quite different from her style. Beautiful rendered.

Enjoying the music very much,

Richard

Martha Argu Chopin.jpg

Antonio Carlos Jobim & Elis Regina: Elis & Tom [Original Recording Remastered]. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Elis' voice like a piano. Love them together. Love them individually. Both gone now.

Antonio Carlos Jobim Elis & Tom.jpg

Gal Costa: Live at the Blue Note. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Elegant Diva. Sensational voice, charming and personable.

Gal Costa Live At The Blue Note.jpg

Milton Nascimento: Angelus [import]. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Jazzy, folky, bluesy with a great cast of guest performers, i.e, James Taylor, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Pat Metheny...

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Milton Nascimento Angelius.jpg

Art Pepper: Intensity XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Prolifiic, lyrical, musicianship and technique that makes it sound easy. So thoroughly enjoyable as to be a joy for one's Spirit.

Art Pepper .jpg

Wesla Whitfield: With A Song In My Heart: The Rodgers & Hart Songbook XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. I guess you have to be there. Not Peggy Lee, Not Rosemary Clooney. Not Chris Conners. Not Margaret Whiting (G-d bless her). Wait, it's Wesla Whitfield.

The reasons we all love this hobby and I am guessing the equipment is only the lunch man, the performance is where we want to arrive at. Like CA's subscriber's success, without the membership one can not exist without the other. i.e., the best equipment without the wonderful artists we are open to receive and share with each other...

Richard

Wesla Whitfield With A Song In My Heart.jpg

carla bley

looking for america

and 6 (or so) oz. of Cote de Ventoux

macmini > simaudio moon 300D > simaudio moon P5.3> simaudio moon W5 > Nordost Blue Heaven>PSB synchrony one[br]imac > simaudio moon 340i > Chord rumor II > PSB imagine minis

folder.jpg

foobar2000 1.1.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2012-07-24 06:57:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Ghazal / As Night Falls on the Silk Road

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR14 -0.09 dB -17.06 dB 15:12 01-My Eyes, My Heart

DR14 0.00 dB -16.97 dB 21:23 02-Between Dawn and Dawn a New Truth

DR13 -0.09 dB -14.87 dB 8:57 03-Snowy Mountains

DR14 -0.16 dB -17.62 dB 23:57 04-Traces of the Beloved

Number of tracks: 4

Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 1412 kbps

Codec: FLAC

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

The Beatles: Love XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Also in surround sound. Producer George and son Giles Martin. Brilliant weave of the Beatles' Classics.

Beatles Love.jpg

Crosby Stills & Nash: Crosby, Stills & Nash: The Acoustic Concert (1991) DVDAE of DVD Dolby Digital 2.0 conversion to 48/24 AIFF. Never get enough. It's always like it is the first time.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Crosby Stills Nash Acoustic Concert.jpg