Art Pepper: The Intimate Art Pepper [import] Hybrid SACD Analogue Productions, Steve Riker. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. With a cast of genius players. Miraculous studio sound listening to the next on deck iteration of a well-known computer audio player. Ah, forget the name. It 'll come to me. Art Pepper The Intimate Art Pepper.jpg

John Pizarelli and George Shearing: The Rare Delight of You. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Past, present, future, if not family biologically, inspired by the same musical family. John Pizarelli & George Shearing the rare delight of you.jpg

Mel Torme and George Shearing: A Vintage Year [Live] XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. An excellent wine perfect with any meal. Art is not blind.

Enjoying the music as vividly as they play it, Richard

Mel Torme & George Shearing A Vingtage year..jpg

Going through some new acquisitions tonight (and tomorrow):

Artist: Dexys

Album: One Day I'm Going To Soar

(awesome so far)

Artist: Patti Smith

Album: Banga

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Toto - Hydra (front).jpg

Toto - Hydra

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

OST Chocolat - Rachel Portman

51DzNvFjTzL._SS500_.jpg

A playful album, one that amuses and leads down some odd musical paths. It's a tapestry of sound that delights with simple inter-weavings of melody and harmony that combine to form a satisfyingly complex listening experience.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

George Garzone: Alone XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Gifted musician who has taught gifted musicians.

george garzone Alone.jpg

Al Green: The Absolute Best Disc 2. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. In the mood.

Al Green Absolute Best.jpg

The Andy Statman Quartet: Between Heaven And Earth: Music Of The Jewish Mystics XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Return engagement since the last time. For a night cap. After several tracks with Dolphy, Pepper, and then Statman.

Enjoying the music.

Sweet Dreams,

Richard

Andy Statman Between Heaven And Earth.jpg

A playful album, one that amuses and leads down some odd musical paths. It's a tapestry of sound that delights with simple inter-weavings of melody and harmony that combine to form a satisfyingly complex listening experience.

-Paul

Wow, aren't we being poetic this evening.

A tasty film too.

-Chris

Till Bronner: That Summer XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Stereophile Recording Of The Month a while back, and enjoyable, easy listening.

Till Bronner Summer.jpg

Basia: Time and Tide. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Medley material for a succession of tracks and different artists.

Basia Time and Tide.jpg

Joni Mitchell: For the Roses XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. It's Joni.

Joni Mitchell For the Roses.jpg

Paul McCartney: Kisses From The Bottom 96/24 DL PaulMcCartney.com. Max conversion from Flac to AIFF.

Paul McCartney Kisses On The Bottom.jpg

Enjoying evening of easy listening music inside where it's cool.

Best,

Richard

KRUDER & DORFMEISTER: K&D Sessions

2-disc set; still the best chillout electronica to show off your system's capabilities of all time. Unreal stuff with amazing sound quality that will really put your system to the test.

sample:

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1184[/ATTACH]

-Paul

As a big fan of Soundtracks, I'll have to check this one out. I've seen the movie a few times, but don't recall it having a substantial soundtrack.

My biggest gripe about this movie is that the DVD doesn't have any recipes for chocolate dishes or anything on it! What's the point of a DVD if not for great recipes? Hahaha... For reference, see the 'World's Greatest Sandwich' on the DVD for the movie Spanglish.

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

Jan DeGaetani & Gilbert Kalish

61CAEyc7-rL.jpg

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

Art Pepper: So In Love Hybrid SACD, XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Exquisite tracks in SQ and musicianship. Doesn't get any better.

Art Pepper So In Love.jpg

Bill Frisell, Ron Carter, Paul Motian: Bill Ron Paul DL 44.1/16 Frisell's website. Max conversion from Flac to AIFF. Excellent all around. Great musicians. SQ is so good.

Bill Frisell Bill Ron Paul.jpg

Enjoying the music,

Richard

Joe Pass: The Complete Pacific Jazz Joe Pass Quartet Sessions Disc 4/5 XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Master on quitar, excellent side musicians, arrangements, SQ. Worth the price of the box set.

Joe Pass The Complete Joe Pass.jpg

Oscar Peterson: The Complete Clef/Mercury Rec. Of Oscar Peterson Trio Disc 5/7. XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Do nothin till you hear this...box set.

Perhaps these box sets take me back to my youth dropping in on these musicians somewhere, sometime in NYC and settling in to a night of music the way I enjoy it, especially standards interpreted by these master musicians. Just doesn't get any better. And I still feel the same way through the years.

Enjoying the music, and glad I can,

Richard

Oscar Peterson The Complete Mrc Cleft.jpg

Another fine but somewhat long-titled (remember "When The Pawn..."? see below) album from the one-of-a-kind Fiona Apple.

idler_wheel.jpg

Tracks:

foobar2000 1.1.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.0

log date: 2012-07-12 12:44:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Fiona Apple / The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw & Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR11 0.00 dB -15.03 dB 3:33 01-Every Single Night

DR11 0.00 dB -13.78 dB 3:28 02-Daredevil

DR10 0.00 dB -14.00 dB 3:33 03-Valentine

DR11 0.00 dB -14.24 dB 5:04 04-Jonathan

DR11 0.00 dB -14.54 dB 4:51 05-Left Alone

DR12 0.00 dB -14.54 dB 3:13 06-Werewolf

DR11 0.00 dB -13.76 dB 4:58 07-Periphery

DR10 0.00 dB -14.89 dB 5:17 08-Regret

DR11 0.00 dB -13.31 dB 4:41 09-Anything We Want

DR11 0.00 dB -13.39 dB 4:02 10-Hot Knife

Number of tracks: 10

Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 731 kbps

Codec: FLAC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* When The Pawn ... full title: "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right"

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

yellow_front.jpg

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

We've been listening to a lot of Edith Piaf lately at Chez Curmudgeon. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has been reading Carolyn Burke's biography, "No Regrets: The Life of Edith Piaf" and tells me that Burke fine-tuned her French diction by listening to Piaf's songs. Also, as a prelude to study next year at a French university and then on to Senegal, my jazz-stricken daughter is doing immersive summer school French (at the rate of five hours a day), so I am converting all the Piaf I can find in my collection (maybe six or eight albums -- Amazon lists 343!) to 320 MP3s so she can stream the stuff to her dorm room from from my private server for her own study.

noRegrets_edithPiaf.jpg

By the way, I must not fail to recommend Marion Cotillard's 2007 Best Actress Oscar-winning performance in La vie en Rose. Try this sample:

41dOC7BOa2L.jpg

edithpiaf_a-l-olympia_1961.jpg