The first installment in a series of five. I like it, already bought the second disc, looking forward to the rest of the project.

prism1.png

20 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

Indeed!  It won a Grammy for Best Engineered, but you better be careful which issue... it’s known that a couple were not mastered or transferred to CD correctly and sound really bright.  

Thanks, having four or five different versions, including two different SACD's, I'm aware. I'm actually hoping, and have recommended, that JoshM make this album the subject of the next episode of his superb "Best Version Of" series.

JC

4 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Thanks, having four or five different versions, including two different SACD's, I'm aware. I'm actually hoping, and have recommended, that JoshM make this album the subject of the next episode of his superb "Best Version Of" series.

JC

My favorite is the Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition [DSD] 😎

9 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

My favorite is the Brothers In Arms - 20th Anniversary Edition [DSD] 😎

Good to know. I acquired that version a while back, and am very eager to hear it. However, my SACD player died on me, and I haven't dropped the significant money necessary to replace it yet. :(

JC

I personally think that if everyone played every piece of work exactly the same, this would be a boring world of music we live in... The reviewer at wherever Roon gets it's data from disagrees, and seems to not like Anne Sophie Mutter very much. She has a lot of negative reviews.

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 4.55.48 PM.png

No electron left behind...

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I personally think that if everyone played every piece of work exactly the same, this would be a boring world of music we live in... The reviewer at wherever Roon gets it's data from disagrees, and seems to not like Anne Sophie Mutter very much. She has a lot of negative reviews.

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 4.55.48 PM.png

In many cases I like Mutter's performances a lot, including this one. Do not care about biased reviewers. Sometimes it would be fun to read, nothing to hear though 🙂

@orresearch was just writing about Esoteric transport somewhere else :) 

You seem to have many of their SACDs, are you happy with their sound e.g. Trane's 'Ballads'?

I'm not sure what music genre is that, what I am sure is that I haven't enjoyed an album that much in a long time :D 

The place is - Chicago, the time is - 12.30.1947, the format is ..16-44.

Should probably be ashamed but it's actually my first listen :$

[IMG]

What’s true of all the evils in the world is true of plague as well.
It helps men to rise above themselves.

―  Albert Camus, The Plague.

16 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

@orresearch was just writing about Esoteric transport somewhere else :) 

You seem to have many of their SACDs, are you happy with their sound e.g. Trane's 'Ballads'?

@sphinxsix  Over time I have accumulated a small collection of Esoteric SACD, almost all of those I already had an older Redbook CD version. I used to travel frequently to Japan and worked there, and therefore made some purchases of remastered work for the Japanese market at their domestic pricing.  I happen to work in the area of technology and signal processing related to sound, and believe that generally new technology could contribute to remastering better sound, although the actual result also depends on, perhaps, the effort put into it, the original signal capture, and the type of music material.  In the past I did occasional comparisons between these remastered version against older, some I found more obvious improvements and others not distinct.  I found the Esoteric remastering works do a careful job, and I enjoy all their Jazz collections.  Their Coltrane Ballad remaster has a full and enjoyable sound. 

These days I tend to kick back and just enjoy listening to the music, and not derive the satisfaction from comparing the details between versions or equipment.  Others probably know a lot more about Esoteric and these related subjects, would be nice to see their comments.

Cheers,

W

5 minutes ago, DeathFugue said:

DSD256--very well played and the sound is superb.

[IMG]

This one is excellent in all terms!

o1q8y94a1i1ea_600.jpg

Isobell Campbell & Mark Lanegan
4 songs of were presented last Sunday evening in Germany's main channel within a police thriller as contrasting background music for a killing spree. Many people usually not interested in INDIE/Americana music made enquieries .... lovely ...
Qobuz, 16/44