52 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Listened to the massive run of Japanese concerts of Keith Jarrett in the late 70's, in the VOA program Jazz Hour with Willis Conover. Listened a couple of times from start to finish in recent decades. However, more often than not, individual concerts only. My favorite right now is Sapporo. What are your personal preferences?

IMG_1949.PNG

Just checked out, out of curiosity - I have 75 KJ albums but not this one, have always been overwhelmed by its sheer size. 

11 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Just checked out, out of curiosity - I have 75 KJ albums but not this one, have always been overwhelmed by its sheer size. 

It's actually a collection of five different concerts, and they don't even always sounds alike, even though they're recorded at the same time. 

Of course, it's all a chronicle of one musician's inner world. I often find it interesting to listen to a recurring program for many months rather than hear something different each time. For example, my morning almost every day starts with next version of Goldberg Variations - the idagio has about two hundred different performances, plus there's some more in my archives.

6 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I often find it interesting to listen to a recurring program for many months rather than hear something different each time.

I know this from my own experience. I used to use the phrase 'I didn't stop spinning the album for a couple of months'. Nowadays I don't do it often - there's just too much diverse music I'm interested in, but I do happen to have something I call 'phases' - periods of time when one composer, performer or genre dominates my 'spinning' time. 

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I know this from my own experience. I used to use the phrase 'I didn't stop spinning the album for a couple of months'. Nowadays I don't do it often - there's just too much diverse music I'm interested in, but I do happen to have something I call 'phases' - periods of time when one composer, performer or genre dominates my 'spinning' time. 

Okay, I wasn't very clear. This isn't about the same album or recording. It's about the same piece of music, and I mean unique, outstanding masterpieces that have a special place in history of music. Such as Schubert's Quintet or Piano Trio No.2, Haydn's Die Schöpfung, Bach's Goldbergs, to name a few. I prefer to listen to different performances of such masterpieces rather than to the so-called "diverse" music, which ultimately boils down to an endless repetition of mediocre performances of mediocre works. 

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I prefer to listen to different performances of such masterpieces rather than to the so-called "diverse" music, which ultimately boils down to an endless repetition of mediocre performances of mediocre works. 

The selection of classical music in my library isn't that bad, I assure you.

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Are you going to say that you do not hear the difference between various pieces of classical music or between different performances of the same piece? Are they all equally good, or equally bad? As it happens, there are only 24 hours a day and only 30 days or so in a month. There's no way to listen to everything available today. You have to make a choice. However, in no way do I expect my approach to be considered mandatory for everyone. 🙂

7 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Listened to the massive run of Japanese concerts of Keith Jarrett in the late 70's, in the VOA program Jazz Hour with Willis Conover. Listened a couple of times from start to finish in recent decades. However, more often than not, individual concerts only. My favorite right now is Sapporo. What are your personal preferences?

IMG_1949.PNG

I still even have the complete vinyl box somewhere in my cellar. 

Listening to Nagoya now (via Qobuz). Thanks for the reminder.

@AnotherSpin (deep breath)... I said I listened to:

7 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

diverse music

You replied:

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I prefer to listen to different performances of such masterpieces rather than to the so-called "diverse" music, which ultimately boils down to an endless repetition of mediocre performances of mediocre works. 

which IMO is a clear suggestion that I (endlessly and repeatedly) listen to 'mediocre performances of mediocre works' so I said:

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

IMO everything is logical up to this point.

May I kindly ask you what makes you think that I may:

not hear the difference between various pieces of classical music or between different performances of the same piece?

...?

As for:

As it happens, there are only 24 hours a day and only 30 days or so in a month. There's no way to listen to everything available today. You have to make a choice.

I've just experienced illumination, just like everyone else here I guess B|

17 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

@AnotherSpin (deep breath)... I said I listened to:

You replied:

which IMO is a clear suggestion that I (endlessly and repeatedly) listen to 'mediocre performances of mediocre works' so I said:

IMO everything is logical up to this point.

May I kindly ask you what makes you think that I may:

...?

As for:

It's easy. All music cannot be of the highest quality throughout. We either listen to everything, enjoying perhaps the very possibility of unlimited access. Or we choose the best and focus our attention on it. We can't do both at the same time. 

22 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Your irony is pretty well expected here. However, how else to respond to (I quote): "there's just too much diverse music I'm interested in"? There is a simple obvious choice between diving into the depths or to flounder in the shallow waters. 😎

It's easy. All music cannot be of the highest quality throughout. We either listen to everything, enjoying perhaps the very possibility of unlimited access. Or we choose the best and focus our attention on it. We can't do both at the same time. 

Your irony is pretty well expected here. However, how else to respond to (I quote): "there's just too much diverse music I'm interested in"? There is a simple obvious choice between diving into the depths or to flounder in the shallow waters. 😎

Sigh.

I actually used to be a national vice champion in breaststroke, short distance :D