Amina Alaoui: Arco Iris XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Truly trans-formative as a channel between beauty grace and inspiration to accomplish wonders. Thank you again Goldsdad.

Amina An arco iris.jpg

Again, another recommendation which attracted me enough to give even more $$ to Amazon.com.

Eric Johnson: Venus Isle XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF. Must express my extreme dissatisfaction with Capitol Record's (mediocre) quality. Obviously that has nothing to do with the talent of Eric Johnson. But this is the second time I felt I could easily throw out the CD as I did with Bette Midler's Experience the Divine: Greatest Hits [import] which I threw into the trash, including the XLD conversion redbook CD to AIFF which I Moved into the trash. The talent's there. Not the SQ! And "Manhattan" is a thoroughly, highly enjoyable listen to. Excuse my critical bent with this one. And thank you HIFI for introducing me to Eric Johnson, who until you did had eluded me.

Still, enjoying the music,

Richard

eric Johnson Venus Isle.jpg

It's a Miles kind of session:

Artist: Miles Davis

Albums: Milestones, Nefertiti

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby. 320kbs

Gorgeous recording from a live club performance. Loads of detail and exquisite imaging. Perfect evening listening.

Hardware: iMac 2010, eMac, Sony Vaio laptop, iPad 2, iPhone 1g, iPhone 3GS, LaCie Porsche 100Gb external drive, Technics SA-400 Receiver/Amp, JVC A-X1 Amp, JVC L-31 Turntable. JVC T-X1L Receiver, JVC and NAD cassette decks, Technics SL-PG580A CD Player, Sony MX R-30 Personal MiniDisc Recorder, Sony MZ-E25 Personal MiniDisc Player, B&W DM610 speakers, JPW Gold Monitor Speakers, Sennheiser HD202 and Sennheiser HD445 cans.

Software: iTunes, Fidelia on iMac, Equaliser Pro on iPad 2

Technics SU-40 amplifier; Fiio E7 DAC and headphone amp; Sennheiser HD25-1ii headphones, oh and an iPod Nano 1g and iPod 3rd generation 40gb. Gorgeous.

Artist: Jason Mraz

Album: Love is a Four Letter Word

24/96 HDTracks download

I really didn't expect to like this (there are actually very few pop / rock artists I listen to with any sort of regularity), but this one has grown on me. Mraz has a very sweet voice, the music is well-written and "catchy", and the sound quality is superb.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Apparat

Devil's walk

Love this man, everything he does, his own or remixing others.

Nice! Morrissey meets Dead Can Dance or VAS or something, but much better...

Maybe you would enjoy Brightblack Morning Light's self titled late some night with your new beau. Billed as freak folk, it takes you on trip that can lead to where ever you dare to go!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Dead Can Dance. Momento on iPad 2 using my Sennheiser hd25s.

Hardware: iMac 2010, eMac, Sony Vaio laptop, iPad 2, iPhone 1g, iPhone 3GS, LaCie Porsche 100Gb external drive, Technics SA-400 Receiver/Amp, JVC A-X1 Amp, JVC L-31 Turntable. JVC T-X1L Receiver, JVC and NAD cassette decks, Technics SL-PG580A CD Player, Sony MX R-30 Personal MiniDisc Recorder, Sony MZ-E25 Personal MiniDisc Player, B&W DM610 speakers, JPW Gold Monitor Speakers, Sennheiser HD202 and Sennheiser HD445 cans.

Technics SU-40 amplifier; Fiio E7 DAC and headphone amp; Sennheiser HD25-1ii headphones, oh and an iPod Nano 1g and iPod 3rd generation 40gb. Gorgeous.

Artist: James Rutherford

Album: Most Grand to Die

24/44 download from eClassical

Rutherford has a strikingly beautiful voice, the performance is superb, and the sound quality is excellent. If you are a fan of the British folk music school (or just vocal music, in general), this one is a keeper :)

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Blue Nile - Hats 1989. iPad 2 via capriccio on Sennheisers. Blissful mellowness to soothe the aches and pains of a busy Monday.

David Oistrakh | Herbert von Karajan | Mstislav Rostropovich | Sviatoslav Richter | Vienna Philharmonic: Beethoven: Triple Concerto (2011 - Remaster) 96/24 DL HDtracks Max conversion from Flac to AIFF.

Beethoven Triple Concerto Ostr.jpg

Carlos Kleiber | Vienna Philharmonic: Beethoven: Symphonies Nos.5 and 7 88.2/24 DL HDtracks. Max conversion from Flac to AIFF.

Kleiber Beethoven 5 & 7.jpg

One more time,

Byron Janis | London Symphony Orchestra | Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra / Antal Dorati:Rachmaninov: Piano Concertos Nos. 2 and 3; Prelude in E flat etc. 88.2/24 DL HDtracks. Max conversion from Flac to AIFF.

Thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening of DLs from HDtracks. When it's good, that's great.

Richard

Rachmaninov Dorati.jpg

The Moody Blues - Strange Times

images-3.jpeg

This is the 16th album released in 1999 I think. It fits me like a comfortable old shirt. Except for the first track (English Sunset) this album is less frenetic, more relaxed, and has a lot more acoustic instrument work in it than the highly processed sound of earlier albums.

Every track on this album is fun, and the lyrics, which still having the poignant bittersweet themes of youth, are more mature. A great deal of the English folk genesis of the band comes through on this album.

One thing is clear, the musicians are all comfortable with each other on this album, and are playing to each other's strengths. It's a fine ride.

I like the way it was recorded as well, though the recording is without question better on some tracks than others. Each track sonically is very distinct to me.

-Paul

It was beautiful, glorious, we were riding on a wave,

With foolish hearts, with foolish love, we would give ourselves away.

Remember how we cried out loud, heard angry voices shout,

I love as you I loved you then, no danger, no doubt...

- Foolish Love - Justin Hayward.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Patti Smith: Banga

A rather odd assortment and range of pieces that I can't seem to stop playing (three consecutive hearings last night following a rip session, then again this morning while walking with portable player and UEs). Not every sixty-five-year-old has that effect on me ...

banga.jpg

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

Artist: Nels Cline Singers

Album: The Giant Pin

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Pablo Casals: The Six Cello Suites [J.S. Bach]

casals_cello_suites.jpg

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

Pablo Casals: The Six Cello Suites [J.S. Bach]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1000[/ATTACH]

Ooh, these are always good :) I've recently fallen in love with the Janos Starker Mercury Living Presence recording, but I have, uh, "several" versions ;)