Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, WAM said:

Anouar Brahem for me this evening:

Folder.jpg.7c0bd2e7aace482844dd688b3263646f.jpg

Visited today an amazing antique shop in Leiden which is open on Saturdays only. They got a 1973 Moroccan oud. I'm tempted again... 9_9

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

GRAMMY winner.  I am calling it now.

Started checking it out earlier. Positive first impression indeed!

For some reason I do not quite understand I like the avatar he used on the cover of his previous album ;)

Image result for Aaron Diehl Space Time Continuum

But seriously, I did just a quick check of his 2020 one, my (quick!) verdict - some solid straight ahead jazz, I haven't heard anything extraordinary. But like I said it was just a quick listen.

IMHO Grammy Awards are a little like Oscars - not always justified. I personally don't care about them that much. But that's just me.

@Musicophile good to see you back!

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

17 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

For some reason I do not quite understand I like the avatar he used on the cover of his previous album ;)

But seriously, I did just a quick check of his 2020 one, my (quick!) verdict - some solid straight ahead jazz, I haven't heard anything extraordinary. But like I said it was just a quick listen.

IMHO Grammy Awards are a little like Oscars - not always justified. I personally don't care about them that much. But that's me.

I gave the previous album a solid 4 stars on my blog, and will review the new one if I find time (not easy these days, my blog has been inactive for weeks now). BTW, Diehl really shines in combination with Cecile McLorin Salvant.

54 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

BTW, Diehl really shines in combination with Cecile McLorin Salvant.

I agree. I rate her high too.

―  William Shakespeare.

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

IMHO Grammy Awards are a little like Oscars - not always justified. I personally don't care about them that much. But that's just me.

Indeed, awards are very subjective and not the end all measure.

I kind of always took the the "continuum" album art to either be a visual to link that title to a "continuous" circle, or ouroboros maybe.  Cheers! 

2 hours ago, orresearch said:

folder.jpg

Many excellent Juilliard Quartet releases on Qobuz from Feb 14, all in 24 bit :)

This is one of them. Thanks for sharing!

iq90h9cn71tca_600.jpg

Finally back to reviewing on my blog, starting with this wonderful new Harmonia Mundi release: https://musicophilesblog.com/2020/02/16/isabelle-faust-and-alexander-melnikovs-wonderful-mozart-violin-sonatas-vol-2/

Accidentally I checked this album yesterday. Similar impressions. Vol.1 is also very good!

―  William Shakespeare.

spacer.png

Main: Auralic Aires Mini -> Nordost Red Dawn -> Ariand FV34B amp -> Chord Silver Carnival -> Martin Logan EM-ESL

Office: Audirvana->iMac 2017-> PS Audio Sprout->Wharfdale Diamond 11.1

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

Just received my shipment of these MoFi 2019 SACD remasters, and got them ripped and loaded up. I’ll be listening to these over the next few days, but already loving what I’m hearing!

7D87C28E-33B8-4585-BC28-221E98B83E79.pngDD4F76B2-D3C9-4254-93E6-EF2C26989035.png10F35735-3AD6-4E3B-8F3C-AE6D94F0DB77.png20283CCE-6E92-4AA9-9DD8-0978631399CD.png

Did you rip the CD and/or SACD layers?

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

SACD for now using SACDExtractGUI, so listening to the DSD.

Which reminds me - I should rip the CD layer too.

I really wonder why you can't buy these as DSD downloads somewhere. 

In any case, jealous and looking forward to your comments on the SQ.