Rate this topic

9 hours ago, rruffin said:

image.png.e52da457e4c889c576150eee2dd54715.png

Nice coincidence, I ordered this album yesterday 😊

On 1/28/2020 at 2:03 AM, austinpop said:

One of my all-time favorite albums. Hadn't heard it in a few months, after which there have been significant improvements in my system. Wow! Even after over 15 years of ownership, this album still takes my breath away. By far the best interpretation of Mahler's 2nd of all time. IMHO, of course.

folder.jpg

The Redbook version is here: https://open.qobuz.com/album/0002894743802 and has excellent SQ. If you can get your hands on the DSD version, it's even better.

If I recall correctly, he wasn’t a professional conductor but learning this piece was a single minded quest for him?

Ditto. My favorite also. Kaplan passed away not long ago. He reached his lifelong goal in conducting this with a major orchestra. Danka to DGG and Vienna Phil for making it happen. 

38 minutes ago, Norton said:

If I recall correctly, he wasn’t a professional conductor but learning this piece was a single minded quest for him?

Indeed. Mahler's 2nd was a singular quest for him. You'll see sniffy comments online disparaging him for being an amateur, but to my ears this recording is an outstanding performance. Maybe a trained musician/conductor will find it flawed - I don't know. I'm neither!

Folder.jpg.9032a06549d4222a2f5ab04713586ba9.jpg

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"- William Bruce Cameron

On 2/2/2020 at 7:27 PM, austinpop said:

Indeed. Mahler's 2nd was a singular quest for him. You'll see sniffy comments online disparaging him for being an amateur, but to my ears this recording is an outstanding performance. Maybe a trained musician/conductor will find it flawed - I don't know. I'm neither!

He recorded it twice, with WP and LSO.

I own the MCA Kaplan LSO as much for the extensive second booklet as to hear a fresh conducting voice.  This is probably the second, maybe third, "Resurrection" I own.  Ripped from the Dolby Digital 2.0 version of the live video recording on a normal DVD.

2096790653_71joAHP4LL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.09a58cb738aa24935d2706bccc6229b7.jpg

Never heard of this one, thanks for sharing. Never knew there was a chamber version (only familiar with a chamber version of Das Lied (a Schonberg transcription)).

I did not post an album of the evening due to a lack of time since weeks. Please have mercy now with me. 😉

Fazil Say

Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas [24/96]

Qobuz

I absolutely was not sure when I heard it for the first time, but now I love it. A modern approach by Fazil Say on one hand, but sure not too technical or abstract on the other.

sieleb40p4c8a_1000.jpg