3 hours ago, EuroChamp said:

Johanna Martzy

Bach Sonatas & Partitas (Johanna Martzy) [24/352]

Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London by EMI Records 1955

Download: High Definition Tape Transfers

This one was new to me, even though I have many versions of Bach's 'Sei Solo'.

Excellent interpretation and very good SQ!

folder.jpg

These recordings, especially in their original form, have been highly valued and sought after (with very high prices) by record collectors for many years. Martzy's performance is ethereal.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Osmo's back! Great recording, but performance shares that emotionally reserved character of all of Osmo's Mahler recordings. Great intro price at eClassical: https://www.eclassical.com/conductors/vanska-osmo/mahler-symphony-no4.html

image.png

Rajiv,  

I do not have a Mahler 4 in my library.  Would you say this is “the one to have” or would you start with a different interpretation?  For the price I should just get it!

bob

3 hours ago, bobfa said:

Rajiv,  

I do not have a Mahler 4 in my library.  Would you say this is “the one to have” or would you start with a different interpretation?  For the price I should just get it!

bob

Hi Bob,

At this price, it's a worthy addition. However, there are a lot of excellent Mahler 4th's, and many strong opinions. I can only give you my personal top 2:

1. Chicago Symphony, Sir Georg Solti conductor, Kiri Te Kanawa (soprano). It's Redbook only, and is on Qobuz as part of this anthology: https://open.qobuz.com/album/0002894308042
  2. San Francisco Symphony, Michael Tilson-Thomas - sadly not on streaming. I have the SACD ripped to DSF.

Other good versions to check out on streaming:

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hi Bob,

At this price, it's a worthy addition. However, there are a lot of excellent Mahler 4th's, and many strong opinions. I can only give you my personal top 2:

1. Chicago Symphony, Sir Georg Solti conductor, Kiri Te Kanawa (soprano). It's Redbook only, and is on Qobuz as part of this anthology: https://open.qobuz.com/album/0002894308042
  2. San Francisco Symphony, Michael Tilson-Thomas - sadly not on streaming. I have the SACD ripped to DSF.

Other good versions to check out on streaming:

Thank you I will go listen to as much as I can find.  It is sort of like me picking different "versions" of Pictures at and Exhibition.  So many variants! 

I found this interesting, as an LP from Melodiya, recorded sometime in the mid 60's - a label which I had the impression didn't have a brilliant reputation ... just heard it on an audio friend's rig, and it sounded fine to me - good piano sound, nicely captured depth to the orchestra. Are Russian recordings highly variable, did I strike a good one?

R-3470062-1424274915-8856.jpeg.jpg