Rate this topic

On 11/22/2019 at 6:52 AM, Musicophile said:

This just came out, Hallelujah!

v568q8krx3voa_600.jpg

Streaming from Qobuz. 

And here's my review (with a free Nutcracker review thrown in on top, because, well you know, it's Christmas soon...)

https://musicophilesblog.com/2019/11/23/two-beautiful-new-albums-for-the-christmas-season-from-jordi-savall-and-vladimir-jurowski-the-messiah-and-the-nutcracker/

Have always enjoyed Jacky’s playing and this is some of his best. Great piano trio. 

IMG_0353.png

iMac > Squeezebox Touch > Peachtree DacIt > Plinius 8100 Integrated > Linn Keilidh

Keith Jarrett / Back Hand (1974)

OK, of course Keith Jarrett is one of the great jazz pianists of all time, but I find a lot of his albums soporific. (I know, my taste is lacking.)  For example, within five minutes of dropping the needle (figuratively) on ‘Koln Concert’, I find myself reading op eds in the NY Times or Wash Post. But this album is something very different — it’s exciting. I came upon it while browsing ‘Jazz Beat’ in the Steve Hoffman forums. 

Along with Jarrett are Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, and Guilherme Franco (percussion). This is music worth listening to.

658CDB0D-EC4E-486F-8EDD-A40922271144.thumb.jpeg.f0a827cef790dde001184c44d5576948.jpeg

55 minutes ago, ronfint said:

Keith Jarrett / Back Hand (1974)

OK, of course Keith Jarrett is one of the great jazz pianists of all time, but I find a lot of his albums soporific. (I know, my taste is lacking.)  For example, within five minutes of dropping the needle (figuratively) on ‘Koln Concert’, I find myself reading op eds in the NY Times or Wash Post. But this album is something very different — it’s exciting. I came upon it while browsing ‘Jazz Beat’ in the Steve Hoffman forums. 

Along with Jarrett are Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, and Guilherme Franco (percussion). This is music worth listening to.

658CDB0D-EC4E-486F-8EDD-A40922271144.thumb.jpeg.f0a827cef790dde001184c44d5576948.jpeg

One of Jarrett's albums with his underrated "American Band" of the Seventies: Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden, Paul Moitan, and Guihreme Franco. Several albums worthy of a listen. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, d_elm said:

The recording of Handel's Messiah that is currently my favorite is Dunedin Consort on the Linn label.

https://www.linnrecords.com/recording-handel-messiah-dublin-version-1742

The soloists are recorded to make you feel close to them, about 6 rows back.  You can try samples at the Linn site.

Thanks for reminding me. Yes, this is one of my favorites too. I really wish Qobuz could land the Linn label in its catalog.

42 minutes ago, Melvin said:

A lovely early morning listen.

ballades.thumb.png.1a75f6951de92ddccd3d2338eb34ebc0.png

Had this album on the radar for a while. Now that you say it's good, I'll definitely have a go at it. 

David Bowie - Cracked Actor - Live in Los Angeles 1984  

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->Topping NX4 DSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I'm not sure how to characterize the Chromatics, just give them a listen.

RoonShareImage-637103929489210350.png

Nico meets electro-synth - Portlandia

what did I win?

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound