1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

the-berlin-recital.jpg

A fantastic live recording, quite well recorded. 

See my new review here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2019/07/18/a-fantastic-live-album-by-yuja-wang/

Very much agree.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

24-96 sounds good indeed (despite moderate DR).

Checking this one out and I like what I hear. Also this cap IMO suits her :) 

Image result for Rachmaninov    Yuja Wang, Mahler Chamber Orchestra, Claudio Abbado

The praise you all give to Yuja Wang makes me curious. I have 2 albums of her in my repository, but am not impressed at all.

Okay, now I want to hear this Rachmaninoff album, but cannot find the cover here in Europe. I really looks like, we have a different cover, the tracks do match.
Where are you from?

0002894779309_600.jpg

17 minutes ago, EuroChamp said:

The praise you all give to Yuja Wang makes me curious. I have 2 albums of her in my repository, but am not impressed at all.

Okay, now I want to hear this Rachmaninoff album, but cannot find the cover here in Europe. I really looks like, we have a different cover, the tracks do match.
Where are you from?

0002894779309_600.jpg

Same album, different covers.

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4779308

https://www.amazon.com/Yuja-Wang-Rachmaninov/dp/B004KD5TPY

7 hours ago, EuroChamp said:

Where are you from?

0002894779309_600.jpg

Have a look at my blog post. So far I had mixed feelings about Wang, Some good stuff (e.g. her Ravel concerto), some just showing off her (tremendous) virtuoso skills. But the Berlin live album is the first real home run for me.

16 hours ago, EuroChamp said:

Where are you from?

0002894779309_600.jpg

I just checked out this recording. Not my all time favourite Rach 2 , but overall quite enjoyable.

I'm really not a big fan of Yuja's Rach 3, but overall I blame more Dudamel (I've yet to find a Dudamel album I like), this is much better in comparison. Abbado was a great loss....

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

I'm really not a big fan of Yuja's Rach 3, but overall I blame more Dudamel (I've yet to find a Dudamel album I like), this is much better in comparison. Abbado was a great loss....

Agree, Yuja' Rach 3 suffers from clueless Dudamel. Hope she will record another one with better conductor soon. Rachmaninov is exactly the type of music she should shine in.

16 hours ago, Daccord said:

Given the praise is not just from us all, I think it's up to you to explain why you're not impressed. Is it because she's young, Asian, and attractive, and therefore can't be seriously good? Or, since you're a EuroChamp, is it just because she's not Euro?

You have some answers, but not of them is valid.

The albums I bought from her (because she is young, Asian and attractive, and hopefully seriously good) are

• Rachmaninoff / Prokoviev (conductor Dudamel)
  • Ravel (DG 2015)

The playing on both of them did not touch me. I am not an expert, so I can just write about my subjective impressions. Not being an expert does not mean I am a beginner (with some thousands of albums in my collection.)

Anyway, music taste is very subjective and I really respect everyones opinion.

24 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Interesting that you don't like the Ravel album. It's got excellent review, and while I'm not a Ravel expert and usually don't like Bringuier, I really enjoy this album.

As mentioned above, I agree the Dudamel is a miss, as pretty much everything this overhyped conductor has ever done (rant off).

Time for another album of the evening:

0073145397562_600.jpg

A true classic well remastered at 24/96.

Yuja's Ravel concerto is fabulous, she is pretty well able to fill it with life, anger and despair.