Rate this topic

@fas42 & @austinpop posting Peter Gabriel, and @JoshM's completionist article on same, did more to spark interest in Genesis than the actual subject.  Actually it was some well recorded drum sample tracks then the onslaught of Peter Gabriel that spurred me to buy what I thought was the second volume of "Genesis • Live - Volume Two: The Longs".  Final track of which is a lengthy drum duet.  Instead I received the correct case holding the disc for Volume 1.  Rife with singalongs, clapping, and in the rare moment ripping through their greatest hits to that point.  

So on that note.  Here's an album with a mix of established and (reasonably) newly composed music for solo cello and organ.

1000004007770998.jpg

71aZEWcjquL._SL1233_.jpg

15 hours ago, graham said:

Currently available at Qobuz discounted to 1.52!

Not quite. Your Qobuz link now says this:

op30570.jpg.4df6e4fd8e583e87f1dee6ca409ce40a.jpg

6.59€ for a double album still seems to be rather good value so thank you for the heads up. But then again, is this value subjective, objective, radically subjective or ridiculously objective? I'll leave it to the real experts here.

Been the week for anticipation resulting in letdown from so-so discs.  It took the linked song about 4 lines before I vowed to never listen a single note he performed ever again.  That is coming from the guy who posted a live performance of a +90 year old man in his original costume performing "I'm my own Grandpa" live in the country music thread.  x-D 

Georg Philipp Telemann

Brockes Passion

René Jacobs

427477418_BrockesPassionTelemanna.jpg.0e80f0042b183856ecefc1f26f1fd832.jpg

494079824_BrockesPassionTelemannb.jpg.3d1dcd130eecd819329ca4c89fb7d562.jpg

Written in 1716.  This is probably my favorite work by Telemann.  Stunningly beautiful!  This recording is very nearly ideal.

You can get it in the 2-CD set pictured above, or as part of a 7-CD set that includes Telemann's opera Orpheus, and a selection of orchestral works.  Amazon.de has the 7-disc set for a wonderfully low price currently (under 20 Euros!).  The boxed set is titled A Telemann Companion.

Here is the Brockes Passion on youtube for anyone unfamiliar with this wonderful composition:

On 6/5/2019 at 11:36 PM, accwai said:

Not quite. Your Qobuz link now says this:

op30570.jpg.4df6e4fd8e583e87f1dee6ca409ce40a.jpg

6.59€ for a double album still seems to be rather good value so thank you for the heads up. But then again, is this value subjective, objective, radically subjective or ridiculously objective? I'll leave it to the real experts here.

Yes I see the price has now been corrected. Is the value objectively subjective?

Listening now to The Late Trane. I have been listening to this regularly recently.

image.png.85426b4c38a1aa1bd97483c23c85f52d.png

In-flight entertainment of the day.

Another new release on Qobuz.

It’s one of the first times I actually listen more closely to the music from the famous “Mozart-Killer”  (if you believe Milos Forman). 

But I’m a big fan of Christophe Rousset and check out every one of his new releases. Typically I’m not disappointed 

867D5FF4-16FD-491A-AB93-74FA366EC908.jpeg

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

In-flight entertainment of the day.

Another new release on Qobuz.

It’s one of the first times I actually listen more closely to the music from the famous “Mozart-Killer”  (if you believe Milos Forman). 

But I’m a big fan of Christophe Rousset and check out every one of his new releases. Typically I’m not disappointed 

867D5FF4-16FD-491A-AB93-74FA366EC908.jpeg

He also discovered and taught Franz Schubert for many years. And, Schubert died too early....😱