13 minutes ago, Mayfair said:

Thanks for the tip - I also have the CD.  According to JRiver Audio Analysis, compared to the CD the 24/96 appears to be a different mastering and has much wider dynamics.  To me it sounds significantly better.

Indeed it is excellent. Turns out it is a completely remaster from the original analog tapes:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/cassandra-wilson-glamoured-album/

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Symphony No. 5

Christian Lindberg/Arctic Philharmonic

First time listening to this symphony in over 30 years haha!  I always judge my Tchaikovsky symphony cycle recordings by the 4th and 6th, so this has been sitting unheard since I purchased this 2-SACD set a while back.  Odd how my brain anticipates each phrase before it comes, after so many years away from this music.  Actually, I just remembered that the last time I listened to this symphony was in autumn of 1987, as a freshman in college, the first time I heard KEF loudspeakers.  It was the only recording the dealer had of music I was familiar with.  After that, I always brought my own CDs when auditioning equipment!  Fittingly, I am listening on my KEF LS50s today haha!  The first speakers were the KEF Reference 102.  The next day, I went back with a Leontyne Price CD to play on the Reference 107--what an incredible experience that was!

331773411_LindbergTchaikovskya.jpg.f6bbbbc753b15b647c8c2637b1fa464d.jpg

1533711596_LindbergTchaikovskyb.jpg.6e847786ef3e8a63924255e3e8fe1083.jpg

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

On 5/19/2019 at 6:51 PM, Musicophile said:

f9qpxlnlq309a_600.jpg

I was a bit surprised to see this old Cassandra Wilson album pop up under nouveautés @ Qobuz, but then I realized it‘s a high res remaster. Given that this is one of my favorite Wilson albums, and very well recorded, at €10.99 for the 24/96 it didn’t take long to get my credit card out.

I haven’t compared to my CD rip yet, and will do a Musiscope check later, but it sounds very nice.

Yes, I tried several of her records, but this one is also my favorite and this remaster sounds excellent! 

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata