7 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I saw this name, Dubravka Tomsic so many times in low-budget poor quality CDs. Just guess, is it really a virtual entity which covers some young talented Chinese students?

3 minutes ago, Allan F said:

FYI, Strasbourg is located in the Alsace region of France, approximately 500km from Paris.

Yes, yes.  Expected someone to pick up on that much earlier.  I typed in haste.  :)

3 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Not sure if I can do justice but here goes ...

The wiki link given by Anotherspin covers the storyline but the overarching that and which provides the setting is the story of Arjuna, one of the principal characters (think along the lines of Hercules) of the Mahabharata, which chronicles the stories of the Kaurava and Pandava princes.   Arjuna is identified by his prowess with the bow and arrow (as the hero with the bow in the video).   As the events unfold, Arjuna is obliged to spend 12 years as an ascetic in what is known as his Tirth Yatra.  It is during this period that his travels take him to the kingdom of Manipura where he meets the Chitrangada who is the daughter of the king.  Chitrangada is smitten with Arjuna but having being raised as a warrior princess takes the help of Madana, the god of love and Vasanta, the god of springtime and youth to cast a spell of beauty to help her win over Arjuna.  

Rabindrinath Tagore's play is primarily based on this story and is described by the wiki link given earlier.  In the West the play received critical acclaim as among other things it was considered ahead of it's time for the role of Chitrangada as a warrior princess  etc in the light of women's roles in society at the time.   The use of dance as a medium is consistent with stylistic portrayals of  mythological traditions but Tagore's works took the form of plays, dramas and poems as well.      

I have an unreasonable liking for this version: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0097810/

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Marais published a short score of this lyric tragedy from 1709, but performance parts were lost long ago.  The orchestration used here was reconstructed.  This is a gorgeous work, given a beautiful performance in this 2-CD set from Glossa.

Marin Marais

Sémélé

Hervé Niquet/Le Concert Spirituel

475009614_MaraisSemelea.jpg.ef501f53f74dc4bab3e0c9d8cc90d61d.jpg

485205412_MaraisSemeleb.jpg.bd5bd2fce4d78a583a459795a5c5782d.jpg

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

2 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Actually the album of yesterday afternoon but I'm posting it cause as for posthumous album it's surprisingly good. SQ differs from track to track. 24bit version available.

image.thumb.png.3d65ed1caf1e86e00cc7a803d1b84103.png

Love this guy, and this is a wonderful album.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm actually listening to Handel's solo piano pieces for the first time in my life. IM(very, very)HO Smirnova plays this material in a really beautiful way with great sensitivity and with lots of subtle expressive nuance. I like her 'timing' (is this word used in the field of classical music.?). And of course ECM sound is never a bad thing.

image.png.c22f529feec0171b911fc1cc188e6e10.png

This is still a great album, even if I never went to see Prince (or the artist temporarily called something nobody could ever pronounce...) 

I don't like all the sentiments expressed in the music, but the music is just a cut above anything else from the time.  

The last track (Purple Rain)  is playing right now, and I still can't help but get chills from it. 

This from the same guy that gave the Bangles Manic Monday.  If only he could have stayed off the damn drugs... :(

-Paul 

1418187328_ScreenShot2019-04-28at10_29_25PM.thumb.png.d06bf6c98c88197c9a3e019ab696f9ed.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

LOL!  And I moved on this this... I had almost forgotten this album. For those who are not familiar with it, this is Ry Cooder's very left of center take on the issues we faced during the DustBowl and Great Depression.  Told by Buddy the cat, Lefty Mouse, and of course, the Reverend Toad.

I wonder what Buddy would have to say about the trump this chump that politics of today? Well worth a listen if your politics can handle it.

Why did we let people go hungry during that time? Was it really just the political view that people need to take care of themselves, and the only reason people are not rich is they did not work hard enough?  I find it difficult to accept that, but both my parents lived through that time, and both of them had hard feelings for the politicians of the time. 

-Paul 

1744157773_ScreenShot2019-04-28at11_09_08PM.thumb.png.d565b7d3c90967fb8d2592cf6b30c523.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein