19 hours ago, semente said:

Cellier was the man who "found" the Bulgarian Voices. 😉

This is where I start running into problems.  By which I mean thank you for sharing that. 

Been meaning to look through the Disques Cellier offerings among the many other audio related tasks awaiting my attention.  Would you save me some time and suggest a release with better mastering.  There seem to be a considerable number of re-releases on at least as many labels.   Including bundles with their following albums.  

Before you do anything you are going to want to press play on this video for a few seconds.  I promise it will be worth the time.  :)

"Chitrangada: Musical Opera of Rabinranath Tagore" caught my eye so I decided to see what this disc was about.  Maybe @Nikhil will be kind enough to expose some of the subtleties of the story and why it's interpreted through dance.  Obviously this is pretty wild stuff I'm quite sure is escaping my cultural and musical comprehension.  

R-11597501-1519149497-3428.jpeg.jpg

Time for a bit of fun today!  Everything seems so serious, so who better to turn to than, Steve Martin? In the gold old "We are wild and crazy guys!" daze, who knew he was so very good a banjo player? He is one of the best alive today. :)

1087365347_ScreenShot2019-04-26at3_42_29PM.thumb.png.9a7e739ab5890685aa90e8f07b4988ca.png

In particular I like Late to School, Pretty Flowers, Saga of the Old West, and the Blue River Waltz on this album. But all the songs are good. 

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, rando said:

"Chitrangada: Musical Opera of Rabinranath Tagore" caught my eye so I decided to see what this disc was about.  Maybe @Nikhil will be kind enough to expose some of the subtleties of the story and why it's interpreted through dance.  Obviously this is pretty wild stuff I'm quite sure is escaping my cultural and musical comprehension.  

I am pretty sure you know well great Bengali poet, musician and artist Rabindranath Tagore, who besides all was awarded with Nobel Prize on Literature. About this particular play - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitra_(play)

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

I am pretty sure you know well great Bengali poet, musician and artist Rabindranath Tagore, who besides all was awarded with Nobel Prize on Literature. About this particular play - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitra_(play)

My friend, I think for many of us, including me unfortunately, the production fails to give us a compelling presentation of the story. Perhaps, our loss. Please share your take on this. Thanks.

RoonShareImage-636919047100917350.png.704a4357717dccb96d8c7f3ec0061e76.png

Some very cool music and nice work from the RSPO horn section, especially soloist and first horn Markus Maskuniitty.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/schumann-saint-saens-gliere-works-for-horn-orchestra-sakari-oramo-royal-stockholm-philharmonic-orchestra-markus-maskuniitty/wxnzn6j7nrcrb

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

3 hours ago, Paul R said:

Time for a bit of fun today!  Everything seems so serious, so who better to turn to than, Steve Martin? In the gold old "We are wild and crazy guys!" daze, who knew he was so very good a banjo player? He is one of the best alive today. :)

1087365347_ScreenShot2019-04-26at3_42_29PM.thumb.png.9a7e739ab5890685aa90e8f07b4988ca.png

In particular I like Late to School, Pretty Flowers, Saga of the Old West, and the Blue River Waltz on this album. But all the songs are good. 

-Paul

I love his live album with the Steep Canyon Rangers and Edie Brickell - great bluegrass and a lot of really funny asides.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

5 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

My friend, I think for many of us, including me unfortunately, the production fails to give us a compelling presentation of the story. Perhaps, our loss. Please share your take on this. Thanks.

There are cultural differences. While some Indian productions may seem naive to Westerner, some Western productions may seem overtly cruel and incurably sick to Indian. In both cases it makes no sense to judge from an ill-informed superiority position. Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Tried this for about 5 min, but as much as I love Podger it just sounds wrong. 

I agree. I don't know, for me it probably sounds superficial, lacks depth.

BTW I had a chance to check out Casals recent hi res remaster. For such an old recording, SQ is simply astonishing!

40 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Tried this for about 5 min, but as much as I love Podger it just sounds wrong. 

0723385411192_300.jpg

Quickly went back to this:

RES10147_cover_300dpi.jpg

As much as I am sympathetic to Podger I didn't try to listen this at all. Somehow the idea of playing cello suites with violin didn't ring the bell for me. I will avoid piano pieces played with drums or symphonies transcriptions for balalaika to the same extent.

35 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I agree. I don't know, for me it probably sounds superficial, lacks depth.

BTW I had a chance to check out Casals recent hi res remaster. For such an old recording, SQ is simply astonishing!

Heard so many accolades about Casals, tried to appreciate his performances of cello suites very hard. From LPs times, to the recent HD tracks mastering. Should admit, no success, too much sand in sound. Yes, I know he kind of "discovered" suites, as Landovska "discovered" Goldbergs. What the hell, life goes on.

Another Schubert Club release for the collection.  This one confused a few people as the actual recording was of a performance in Germany.  At the Ordway Music Theatre was where she performed as part of The Schubert Club International Artist Series included on her US tour.      

0427191014a.thumb.jpg.faa02add62006404c82f4ef992512b61.jpg

22 minutes ago, rando said:

Another Schubert Club release for the collection.  This one confused a few people as the actual recording was of a performance in Germany.  At the Ordway Music Theatre was where she performed as part of The Schubert Club International Artist Series included on her US tour.      

0427191014a.thumb.jpg.faa02add62006404c82f4ef992512b61.jpg

I saw this name, Dubravka Tomsic so many times in low-budget poor quality CDs. Just guess, is it really a virtual entity which covers some young talented Chinese students?

On 4/16/2019 at 3:39 PM, rando said:

Lest Notre Dame de Paris be thought the only Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.  Or even the only one with an organ worth listening to. 

FYI, Strasbourg is located in the Alsace region of France, approximately 500km from Paris.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron