Greg Brown reminds me a lot of Johnny Cash.  Greg is another great story teller.  I was exposed to this album during a speaker audition at an audio show. “Brand New 64 Dodge” was the cut they picked to show off their spirit brand.   After further investigation I found the label, Red House Records, has several great artist.  Lots of folk genr.  Anyway Greg Brown is available on CD and a couple albums on vinyl.  All very good mix, room, recordings.

A0D2D5E3-6C14-4164-B375-EF06A225DD3E.png

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

I’m pretty sure this was a recommendation from someone on computer audiophile a hundred years ago.

This is very entertaining and well recorded CD.  Thanks to “whoever “ for suggesting. 

607FD55A-EBDB-4CC2-B51C-F1DA67D09173.png

And.....BTW....

I really enjoy a remake of a bands album redone by an unlikely artist.

Example:

Mary Fahl, From The Dark Side Of The Moon

Vanessa Hernandez,  When The Levee Breaks

If you have any ideas please recommend.  Thanks in advance

73CC28C3-3F5D-4020-99E3-285B58FF09E0.png

89562BA6-04FD-4961-BE2F-19BBF3F0F482.png

1 hour ago, HIFI said:

Greg Brown reminds me a lot of Johnny Cash.  Greg is another great story teller.  I was exposed to this album during a speaker audition at an audio show. “Brand New 64 Dodge” was the cut they picked to show off their spirit brand.   After further investigation I found the label, Red House Records, has several great artist.  Lots of folk genr.  Anyway Greg Brown is available on CD and a couple albums on vinyl.  All very good mix, room, recordings.

A0D2D5E3-6C14-4164-B375-EF06A225DD3E.png

Great album, thanks ! 

Available at Qobuz.

Roch

On 4/16/2019 at 2:39 PM, rando said:

Worked yesterday.  

Grandiloquent organ playing steeped in religion this is not. Instead, rather fascinating transcriptions of Rumanian folk melodies that was recorded live in multiple churches across Europe.

0416190816c.thumb.jpg.1369fcdfc2a5cc1024419741b2f899c6.jpg

Cellier was the man who "found" the Bulgarian Voices. 😉

mystere-des-voix-bulgares_cellier.jpg

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Anna Moffo 

Gaetano Donizetti

Lucia di Lammermoor

Still too lazy to do a direct comparison of my copy of this newer remastering to my ancient, original CD set haha!  Sometimes I just skip around and only listen to the parts with Anna Moffo, as it's really not one of my favorite operas overall haha!  I suppose it's in the top 100, although I don't think I ever bothered making a list that went past my top twenty or so... Maybe I'll make a list during the duller sections of this opera tonight. :P 

133768326_AnnaMoffoLuciaa.thumb.jpg.7671c06f0b440cb69fe6601b8ceeec78.jpg

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

53 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

Anna Moffo 

Gaetano Donizetti

Lucia di Lammermoor

Still too lazy to do a direct comparison of my copy of this newer remastering to my ancient, original CD set haha!  Sometimes I just skip around and only listen to the parts with Anna Moffo, as it's really not one of my favorite operas overall haha!  I suppose it's in the top 100, although I don't think I ever bothered making a list that went past my top twenty or so... Maybe I'll make a list during the duller sections of this opera tonight. :P 

133768326_AnnaMoffoLuciaa.thumb.jpg.7671c06f0b440cb69fe6601b8ceeec78.jpg

My favorite opera singer.

If you don't like the boring parts, there's this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Beauty-Voice-Complete-Early-Performances/dp/B00BBQD70W/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=anna+moffo&qid=1556152005&s=music&sr=1-2

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@Jud  Leontyne Price is my favorite, while Anna Moffo is my second favorite.  I have all of her studio recordings, the films she made, and tons of bootleg recordings from my travels around the world when I was young.  It's not really that Lucia is a boring opera, but I personally wouldn't bother with it if she hadn't recorded it haha!  I watch her film more often than I listen to the studio recording, however.  (The tenor and the maid are bleating goats in the film, sadly, but Anna Moffo's singing and acting are wonderful.  It was one of the films her husband at the time made, along with her La traviata film.*  But then, I imagine you know all that already if she's your favorite! :D ).  I wish her television shows would be released on DVD or Blu-ray, but I'm grateful for the bits that I have. ( *Hmm, on second thought, perhaps he didn't direct the Lucia film, I guess I'll have to look at my DVD collection of her films.)

And now for something completely different.

You may have seen many concerts, but this is a *show*.

It's mind-blowing on many levels.  She has an amazing voice (sorry, not featured on this short video clip).  And just contemplate for one minute how absolutely impossible it is to have all these players and all these dancers in absolute note-perfect, beat-perfect unison.  Steely Dan would not tour for years because they considered it impossible to have a reasonably sized jazz ensemble play live with the necessary precision.  She does it with a huge band, dozens of dancers, and singers.  (At times there are more than 200 people on stage.)

This is Beyonce's new documentary/concert video on Netflix, "Homecoming."  You can hear the music on streaming services, and I like it, but watch the video if you can.

A taste:

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I guess I should have trusted my first thoughts after all haha!  Mario Lanfranchi did indeed direct Anna Moffo's Lucia di Lammermoor film, as well as her Madama Butterfly, La sonnambula, La serva padrona, and La traviata.   I never found La serva padrona on DVD, just the VHS version.  The others I have on DVD.

Not that anyone cares, but I made that list after all tonight.  Lucia di Lammermoor appears at No. 87 on my ranking of my favorite operas.  So, yes, in my top 100.  lol

4 hours ago, Jud said:

Steely Dan would not tour for years because they considered it impossible to have a reasonably sized jazz ensemble play live with the necessary precision. 

Maybe the real reason is that they didn't really want to play live, and found an excuse....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Whatever it was (they were famously fanatical about precision, and I can’t see them needing excuses if they just didn’t want to tour - they weren’t the types to care hugely about what others thought), Beyoncé’s band is still amazing, and so is the show/documentary.

9 minutes ago, Jud said:

Whatever it was (they were famously fanatical about precision, and I can’t see them needing excuses if they just didn’t want to tour - they weren’t the types to care hugely about what others thought), Beyoncé’s band is still amazing, and so is the show/documentary.

Jazz is not about precision)

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Jazz is not about precision)

Depends on what you’re being precise about. Charlie Parker was famously demanding of (actually, sadly, abusive to) his band members.  This is not to say jazz is about abuse or tyrannical bandleaders either (and it is one of the joys of Homecoming to see how Beyoncé lifts people up in tryouts and rehearsals while getting the very best from them). But it is to say there are such things as mistakes or less than the very best of which people are capable in jazz playing, and that is what Steely Dan was fanatical about wanting to eliminate.