Rate this topic

Listening to the newly-released (today!) 22-CD boxed set of the complete Deutsche Grammophon recordings of violinist Gil Shaham.  I already had most of these recordings on their original CD releases.  Sadly, DG has not bothered with original covers, any worthwhile notes, or anything new or special, other than the return to print of a number of the albums included.  Each disc has the contents of one of the original albums, content has not been rearranged across discs.  The disc order is not in chronological order, so perhaps it was arranged by favorites by whoever at DG was responsible.  Disc 1 is the Barber/Korngold album, which happens to be my own favorite haha! 

I hope I won't encounter sloppy edits or mislabeled discs, as I've found in some boxed compilations from Sony* and other labels.  On disc 5 now, and so far, so good.  

Gil Shaham

The Complete Deutsche Grammophon Recordings

562355925_GilShahama.thumb.jpg.6b8a815e8ad7035cfdb101ce84430e29.jpg

270147736_GilShahamb.jpg.ef0ec4c3d1628379910205f5a54616a2.jpg

*Sony boxed sets of Philippe Entremont and Kathryn Stott, to name two with major errors that come to mind.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Too late to edit my post above, but I thought I'd add a note that Gil Shaham's more recent recordings are not included in the DG set, as they are on his private label, Canary Classics.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Rachel d'Arcy

Annabelle Serpentine

There's a quality in the voice that makes you want to hear the next syllable, in an endless discovery of this woman's work, it's ambient, it's rhythm, it's sparse instruments, and wide open spaces. Technically each track's DR 12-13 with uncanny positioning of varied trumpet, ukelele, drums, nothing. Certainly different, certainly recommended.

Rachel-DArcy-Annabelle-Serpentine-2019.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 4/2/2019 at 10:24 PM, Paul R said:

And now to the totally obscure... 

R-5830229-1403885741-1123.jpeg.jpg.21de1563100d1ac7459f4f14e099c24a.jpg

This was my test album, to see how good a restoration I could get to digitally.  Haven't quite got it exactly where I want it, but that is probably because I stop working and start listening to it. It still sounds better on the turntable than digital, but I think the album just needs a better cleaning than I can give it. Maybe with a pressure washer. (grin - just kidding!) 

Can't find a version of this online to compare with, but it is a lot of fun if you can find it. 

417881748_ScreenShot2019-04-02at3_22_19PM.thumb.png.d5efd7ed846685649079646e17b3bdfc.png

1274556291_ScreenShot2019-04-02at3_22_50PM.thumb.png.bc7b1d41efe6f10d0003fb90b6a16f68.png

I like his cello concertos:

MI0003755577.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira Pascoaes

Lea Salonga, live concert in Manila:

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/the-story-of-my-life-lea-salonga-live-from-manila-byu-chamber-orchestra-lea-salonga-kory-katseanes/ka5mjvcrdbuza

Fantastic singing from the now middle-aged diva - in beautiful voice and better than ever.

RoonShareImage-636902645113242300.png

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - MacMini running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi wireless > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > iFi Audio xDSD > Focal Elegia

Home Theater - Mac Mini running Roon Server > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-81 > MartinLogan Motion series home theater speakers + M&K subwoofer

On 4/6/2019 at 1:30 AM, Melvin said:

Listening to this now via Qobuz (24/96) .. very nice album with excellent sound quality! Thanks.

ACT‘s recording in general is outstanding!