On 3/21/2019 at 9:39 AM, rando said:

@coot Glad focus is returning to his professional skill set instead of nationality or which side of the fence he'd fall on if fell upon. 

@AnotherSpin Swastikas are a Christian symbol possibly near the same age as an upright cross. Don't let circumstance deceive you into thinking us likely to celebrate any violent organization.  Nor forget the consequences of leaving them unchecked. 

In my younger years I might have posted something like a Solti and Gergiev World Orchestra for Peace album.  Or maybe some Karajan Gold (Lizst and heavy on the lead role one supposes).  Would have to politely ask myself to cut it out though.  

So @Paul R here is a pretty fantastic collection taking in some pretty deep lows and airy heights.  Full of hope and wonder. 

51ERTGKxvwL._SX355_.jpg

This was in the mailbox this afternoon!  Oh boy, I know what is on my listening list for this evening! :) 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

https://play.qobuz.com/album/0827969361429

Thecellardoorsessions.jpg

The Cellar Door Sessions, 1970. Miles live and in fusion mode. Fantastic stuff  if you like jazz fusion.  6 disc set recorded over 4 nights in  a club by Columbia. Excellent sound. McLaughlin joins in on last 2 discs. Keith Jarrett keyboards. Jack DeJonette drums.
Out of print and expensive in CD form. Hooray for streaming. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

19 hours ago, Paul R said:

This was in the mailbox this afternoon!  Oh boy, I know what is on my listening list for this evening! :) 

In that period he was every bit as respected as Copland for his compositions, domestically.  No hit machine to produce sliced up pop hooks in those days.      

I previously posted the Sibelius Violin Concerto recording by Camilla Wicks on Biddulph.  The Mullova/Ozawa on Philips is also quite good as well.  

1 hour ago, firedog said:

The Cellar Door Sessions, 1970. Miles live and in fusion mode. Fantastic stuff  if you like jazz fusion.  6 disc set recorded over 4 nights in  a club by Columbia. Excellent sound. McLaughlin joins in on last 2 discs. Keith Jarrett keyboards. Jack DeJonette drums.

i found it on Amazon for $40 US

1 minute ago, cambridgehank said:

i found it on Amazon for $40 US

That’s mp3

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

McLaughlin is very impressive here, I believe it is his only live recording with Davis available. Jarrett on electric piano. Great recordings.

spacer.png

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

And now to the totally obscure... 

R-5830229-1403885741-1123.jpeg.jpg.21de1563100d1ac7459f4f14e099c24a.jpg

This was my test album, to see how good a restoration I could get to digitally.  Haven't quite got it exactly where I want it, but that is probably because I stop working and start listening to it. It still sounds better on the turntable than digital, but I think the album just needs a better cleaning than I can give it. Maybe with a pressure washer. (grin - just kidding!) 

Can't find a version of this online to compare with, but it is a lot of fun if you can find it. 

417881748_ScreenShot2019-04-02at3_22_19PM.thumb.png.d5efd7ed846685649079646e17b3bdfc.png

1274556291_ScreenShot2019-04-02at3_22_50PM.thumb.png.bc7b1d41efe6f10d0003fb90b6a16f68.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

From AllMusic Review by James Christopher Monger:

The Smithsonian Folkways-issued debut album from Carolina Chocolate Drops frontwoman Rhiannon Giddens, former Carolina Chocolate Drops cellist Leyla McCalla, multi-instrumentalist Allison Russell (Po' Girl, Birds of Chicago), and alt-country/blues singer/songwriter Amythyst Kiah, Songs of Our Native Daughters is a bold, brutal, and often beautiful dissertation on racism, hope, misogyny, agency, and slavery told from the perspective of four of modern roots music's most talented women, who also happen to be black. That all four artists are adept banjo players is no fluke, as that distinctly American instrument has been at the forefront of the country's musical evolution since the 1800s, though almost always via the hands of a white male. Looking to the past for inspiration, from Creole culture and minstrelsy to the abolitionist and suffrage movements, the quartet have constructed a set of songs that are grounded in centuries of suffering, yet resolute in their humanity.

Streaming today, buying tomorrow.

image.png.8cd93168a5b315693a82d6bdd75e5068.png