Camille Saint-Saëns

Ernest Chausson

Piano Quartets

Schubert Ensemble

371131320_Chaussonquarteta.thumb.jpg.14b0dcbc7036f3b6aefefe2bd1a963b7.jpg

1183925060_Chaussonquartetb.thumb.jpg.42fa1f31e4643b186933ac19b759b98e.jpg

The Chausson is particularly gorgeous, the second movement is rapturously lyrical.  I keep repeating that track haha!  I'll probably repeat it a few more times before the night is over.  Such a shame he died so young (44) in a tragic bicycle crash.  Wonderful performances.  

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

27 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I like some old Karajan recordings of S. symphonies for EMI.

The interpretation of Rouvali really is quite impressive, I really like his energy. So it will eventually boil down to the music itself. I’ll give it more spins in the future and am looking forward to his future recordings of this cycle.

That said I’m happy to give Herbie a try as well. His EMI period was generally so much better than his late DG follies. 

3 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

The interpretation of Rouvali really is quite impressive, I really like his energy. So it will eventually boil down to the music itself. I’ll give it more spins in the future and am looking forward to his future recordings of this cycle.

That said I’m happy to give Herbie a try as well. His EMI period was generally so much better than his late DG follies. 

Well, Karajan had a no-no ticket to my personal Valhalla of great conductors for decades, but times change and I learned to appreciate his artistry now, also some of his DG recordings, even very late. His final Brahms cycle for example.

17 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Well, Karajan had a no-no ticket to my personal Valhalla of great conductors for decades, but times change and I learned to appreciate his artistry now, also some of his DG recordings, even very late. His final Brahms cycle for example.

I must admit the only late Karajan I can stand is Bruckner, where his style of “just too much and a bit too polished” actually works.  His late Brahms cycle isn’t my cup of tea.

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Fascinating how we each have our preferences! I don't "get" a lot of composers myself, but Sibelius appealed to me from the get-go.

My favorite is Vänskä’s cycle on BIS.

I tried many versions, including Vänskä, and more recently Paavo Järvi‘s cycle. But the new Rouvali recording is really quite special. 

53 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I must admit the only late Karajan I can stand is Bruckner, where his style of “just too much and a bit too polished” actually works.  His late Brahms cycle isn’t my cup of tea.

It might be his self-indulgence and narcissism started work for me in some manner. I will not select his Brahms, Wagner or Bruckner as the only ones, still they differentiate nicely in comparison with other established interpretations.

26 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Fascinating how we each have our preferences! I don't "get" a lot of composers myself, but Sibelius appealed to me from the get-go.

My favorite is Vänskä’s cycle on BIS.

Ah, but which one?  He has two cycles on BIS. ;)  I have both, and I suppose I slightly prefer the second set overall, with the Minnesota Orchestra.  The earlier set was with the Lahti Symphony Orchestra.  There is another BIS set with Lahti, but that one is conducted by Okko Kamu.  I have that as well.  Also on BIS, the earlier of two sets by Neeme Järvi, which he followed with another set on DG (both with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra).

Lots of double sets out there haha!  I also have two of the three complete sets by Paavo Berglund.  I probably would have bought his third set as well, but I couldn't locate it on CD when I last checked for it.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

To this day, I still don’t “get” Sibelius’ symphonies.

You are not the only one.. I have this set in my library, but I just do not "get" this music,  although I try to like it. Violon concert/Kavakos is nice, very nice, by the way.

Folder.jpg.eb2a973177cd54b1cac47aa88664676f.jpg

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

The second, or latest, cycle. The earlier one with Lahti - not so much.

I did sample the Rouvali a while back when I saw it on Qobuz, but will go back and give it a deeper listen.

Would be interested in your feedback on Rouvali. Obviously I have limited expertise on the symphonies.