Rate this topic

Was browsing today, and found a copy of Emerson Lake & Palmer's _Love Beach_.  I realized I had never done a needle drop of the album, and when I looked it up, the only version on Qobuz was a remastered version.

I barely remembered this album, though I did remember the cover made 'em look like Bee Gees, and it was made in Nassau.  Emerson did most of the mastering, if memory serves me correctly. My album does not have a producer listed, but the info on QuBoz and Wiki says Emerson was the producer. It shows... 

I might should have just moved on. Turns out this was a "forced" album, and made only under pressure and threats from Ertegun, who also demanded the album be "commercial."  The first side of the record is a vast wasteland, save for the last track, _Canario_, which is somewhat interesting.  The second side is all Emerson, and a bit better, but you know - the guy must have been burning out about this time. Drugs, too much popularity, British Tax Law, who knows?  

It was a bit of fun for the memories, but otherwise, not so much. Perhaps the remastered copy on Qobuz would be more worth the time, but I just don't know.  Caveat Emptor! 

948899629_ScreenShot2019-03-13at4_11_47PM.thumb.png.555ed7733837a1fe244780fa69ce6f8c.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

15 minutes ago, Paul R said:

British Tax Law

I tread softly here after an assault on the Isle's citizens earlier today.  

The two explanations you left off. Dealing with various complications resulting from the need to find a new chauffeur after how the last one expired.  Finding body double for one of the band members and transporting them to a faraway tropical island until they can fulfill money earning duties publicly. 

Thanks for the laugh. 

Had to find something to get that last album out of my ears...  went back to one of favorites. This one I can unreservedly recommend to just about anyone. Great example of mid-80's Fusion. It's a wee bit overproduced, but the musicians having a blast comes through without question!

Evans is just - cool. The best thing about this particular album for me is that the very last song _Flight of the Falcon_ is my favorite, but listening to all the other tracks is  nothing less than a joy to me. (Well okay, he gets a little wild on _Let the Juice Loose!_- just a tiny bit overboard perhaps. ;)

The album information below is for the CD, but I listed to a needle drop of my old LP. Blue Note BT85111.Same songs, same layout. Two songs have slightly different playing lengths on the CD. 

Yours,

-Paul 

P.S.  This is the other Bill Evans, not the piano guy!  This Bill is best known for the album Soulgrass, which if you have not listened to, jump on Quboz and have yet another treat. :)   

1072615730_ScreenShot2019-03-13at8_55_51PM.thumb.png.6860c2aaf9b9ebd859a6ffee3180fd7f.png

Robert A. Heinlein

Jean-Philippe Rameau

Règne Amour | Love Songs from the Operas

Carolyn Sampson

Jeffrey Skidmore/Ex Cathedra

314692817_CarolynSampsonRameaua.jpg.1bf6b1521095d859bcb2ca5e252d1d09.jpg

1161266203_CarolynSampsonRameaub.jpg.825286df3026b26237ddcf533c522d51.jpg

CD from Hyperion, so there are no streaming links for me to share, sorry!  Hyperion is really irritating, as they have allowed much of their catalogue to go out of print, and there are no streaming options.  I avoid buying downloads if I can help it, as I want physical media still (yes, I'm a dinosaur haha!).  I don't want to worry about hard drives or computer failures or corrupted music files over time or whatever.

All I can find to share is a brief preview uploaded by Hyperion to youtube:

Well, a treat from just after the decade of peace, love, turn on, tune in, & drop out.

Never understood all that, but this is cool and great fun to listen to. 

This is from a needle drop, Bell 6073. Remastered version available on Qobuz;  https://open.qobuz.com/album/0888880250711

-Paul 

1352632899_ScreenShot2019-03-14at5_09_30PM.thumb.png.79300e55489f617ca289b7cd3a7e0566.png

923862838_ScreenShot2019-03-14at5_10_18PM.thumb.png.078ab6337213c0af13b6c6fcc3f18092.png

Robert A. Heinlein