[ATTACH=CONFIG]3834[/ATTACH]

Blank & Jones "RELAX - Jazzed" • High Resolution Audio • 16/44.1 DL • Nice recording, very good SQ.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3835[/ATTACH]

Marc-André Hamelin "In a State of Jazz" • Qobuz • 16/44.1 DL • As an Hamelin's admirer in classic piano music, liked his incursion in Jazz.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3836[/ATTACH]

Marc-André Hamelin "Franz Liszt-Transcriptions" • Qobuz • 16/44.1 DL • This time Hamelin's maestri as Classic music interpreter.

Roch

Hamelin is great. Do you have his Godowski/Chopin Etudes? Sometimes sounds like 3 pianos overdubbed, you wonder if the guy has more than 2 hands.

Didn't know he did Jazz, need to check that one out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3889[/ATTACH]

Actually, I did not listen to the album. My wife and I saw Jordi Savall and an ensemble in concert performing pieces from this album and others last night at Lincoln Center in New York. We sat directly in front of the maestro, perhaps 10-15 feet from the front of the stage and 20-25 feet from him. I did not know whether I would ever get the chance to do this in my life. Yet it was even better than I'd anticipated, a joyful experience, like a cross between seeing Michaelangelo's "David" in Florence, and being handed front row center tickets to a Springsteen concert by a roadie, then having Bruce kiss my wife and toss me his harmonica after the concert - but that story is for another time.... :-)

How about a new "recent concert experience" thread? I exaggerated a bit last weekend and saw Daniel Hope play Bach BWV 1041 and 1050 on Saturday night and the next day Krystian Zimerman playing Lutaslawski's piano concerto.

This is definitely tempting. I can't find it on eClassical, just the individual disks seem to be there. The cover you show seems to be

BISSACD1825/26. I'd really like to try this on SACD. But I wouldn't mind trying a hi-res download, too. Thanks Musicophile.

I actually have the redbook box. It is true that the eclassical offer is for the individual albums, but at $7 per "disc" you really get a decent deal for hires.

I have the complete The Complete Chopin Collection/Rubinstein.

And no in answer to Moravec. But I would like to. I 'll search CA for your reference and ask for help if I can not find specifically what you refer to for Moravec. Though I vaguely remember your post sometime before about Moravec. Thank you for the recommendation. I know of no better method for adding quality to our library than to benefit from one another's fine taste in music.

For me it's always about the music. Lucky us.

With appreciation,

Richard

Here you go.

Amazon.com: Chopin: Nocturnes: Frederic Chopin, Ivan Moravec: Music

Let me quote from James Leonard on Allmusic. A little bit overdone for me, but you get the idea.

Ivan Moravec was incapable of playing a note, any note, that was anything less than beautiful -- not just superficially beautiful but truly beautiful, bone deep, soul deep, "truth is beauty and beauty truth" beautiful. And when he strings each note, each lustrous pearl of a note, into phrases which sing and sigh and cry, each phrase becomes more beautiful even than each individual note. And when each phrase is joined in bliss with harmony, and then form, and then into a single luminous whole, then each work becomes an act of love and, not incidentally, as perfect a recording of a Chopin Nocturne as we are likely to hear in this world or the next.

Here you go.

Amazon.com: Chopin: Nocturnes: Frederic Chopin, Ivan Moravec: Music

Let me quote from James Leonard on Allmusic. A little bit overdone for me, but you get the idea.

Ivan Moravec was incapable of playing a note, any note, that was anything less than beautiful -- not just superficially beautiful but truly beautiful, bone deep, soul deep, "truth is beauty and beauty truth" beautiful. And when he strings each note, each lustrous pearl of a note, into phrases which sing and sigh and cry, each phrase becomes more beautiful even than each individual note. And when each phrase is joined in bliss with harmony, and then form, and then into a single luminous whole, then each work becomes an act of love and, not incidentally, as perfect a recording of a Chopin Nocturne as we are likely to hear in this world or the next.

Just checking out Rubinstein vs. Moravec: tough call, amazingly beautiful music played with the highest possible level of emotion in both cases. Still have a very slight preference for Moravec though. Some little eccentricities, and then his touch, he's literally caressing the keyboard.

Concur (I also have it in my library along with below which I may have repeated showing at the thread) and then some. Just being with the music we notice to each other is marvelous.

Best,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3991[/ATTACH]

by the way I need to check out the Petrucciani you mention above. Looks really tempting.

57gold was persuasive in pointing me towards Petrucianni. And I persuaded myself to purchase the following which I have listened to in pieces several times with continuing enjoyment as until recently (now) I had not known or membered this excellent jazz pianist and his recordings. I landed on the other two because of the Power of Three recommendation which 57gold raved about. The other two interested me; and I am not disappointed, which is to say I find them highly entertaining.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

PS He died at 36 in 1999 (born '62)

Power of Three

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4005[/ATTACH]

Live at the Village Vanguard [Live, Original Recording Reissued, Import]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4006[/ATTACH]

and,

Promenade With Duke [import]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4007[/ATTACH]

I wasn't clear: I quite like Petrucciani, I simply didn't have that particular album you mentioned.

My first and stilll favorite album, as recommended in the Great Pianist thread, is this one, with Eddy Louis on Hammond:

Conference de Presse

conference-de-presse-l-integrale-76399261.jpeg

I cannot say I like everything he did musically (some is a bit too "commercial" for me), but he had some really great moments.

And seeing this extremely tiny guy (due to a genetic disease) at the piano, it is amazing:

I need to check out Power of Three though

Easter is coming soon.

And whether you're Christian or not, doesn't matter, this is worth listening to, one of the greatest works of art, extremely well interpreted, and very well recorded at 24/88:

Bach: St Matthew's Passion - Dunedin Consort (Linn):

Bach_ Matthäus-Passion - Dunedin Consort [24_88].png

One of my all time favorite albums.

Then, back to Brahms, high-res download from eClassical. IMO, Dausgaard and the Swedish Chamber Orchestra are very good in the first symphony and excellent in the LiebesliederWälzer. The Hungarian dances are fine but not earth-shattering. The sound quality is astounding.

bis_brahms_sym_1.jpg

I really like Dausgaard's fresh look at Brahms. And agree on the recording quality.

Michel Petrucciani Eddy Louiss: Conference De Presse Vol. 2 XLD conversion redbook CD. Recommended at this thread by those who know. With Eddy Louiss on Hammond B-3. Highly enjoyable. Import = expensive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4063[/ATTACH]

It's fun, isn't it? I just love Caravan...

Ordered this title from Amazon.com USA which can not obtain for me and cancelled my order. Darnation!

(Still enjoying the "other" music)

Richard

I'm pretty sure HDtracks is going to be more helpful:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD093046741969

And this one is really worth the high-res, recording quality is just amazing.