19 hours ago, accwai said:

Paganini: Arrangements for Violin & Piano by Fritz Kreisler

Philippe Quint, Dmitri Cogan

MI0002984266.jpg

Very good recording!  

Also a god sample how a violin should be recorded.

I found it chez Qobuz with a very different album art:

Nicolo_Paganini-Arrangements_de_Fritz_Kreisler_pou.thumb.jpg.014e2f062f1d1646f32e0a781b4e3f76.jpg

Thanks,

Roch

A new composer to me and I like him a lot! Obviously modern, but not completely sado-modernistic.  His style is hard to describe--mixes gorgeous melodies with explosive clusters. This entire recording is available on YouTube for those of you who are curious.

813sWBhkTaL._SL500_.jpg

71an7Mz3czL._SL500_.jpg

(Don't let the "with tape" aspect of the first piece scare you--it lasts only 2-3 minutes near the end and imparts a literally other worldly effect.)

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

9 hours ago, elcorso said:

Very good recording!  

Also a god sample how a violin should be recorded.

I found it chez Qobuz with a very different album art:

Nicolo_Paganini-Arrangements_de_Fritz_Kreisler_pou.thumb.jpg.014e2f062f1d1646f32e0a781b4e3f76.jpg

Thanks,

Roch

You're welcome. Actually both images are on the physical CD. Yours is the cover of the booklet while mine is on the paper slipcase. Also try the following for excellent recording of violin with piano accompaniment:

Homage James Ehnes

MI0001185584.jpg

Played on instruments from the David Fulton collection. The package contains CD and DVD so you can also see exactly how it's done. Highly recommended. Now album of the evening:

Antonio Bazzini - Vol. 1

Luigi Alberto Bianchi, Aldo Orvieto

MI0001019465.jpg

1 hour ago, accwai said:

You're welcome. Actually both images are on the physical CD. Yours is the cover of the booklet while mine is on the paper slipcase. Also try the following for excellent recording of violin with piano accompaniment:

Homage James Ehnes

MI0001185584.jpg

Played on instruments from the David Fulton collection. The package contains CD and DVD so you can also see exactly how it's done. Highly recommended.

"Homage" ordered !

Extraordinary Violins, Violas and Violoncelli collection, Mr. Fulton !

Thanks again,

Roch

19 hours ago, Klavier said:

A new composer to me and I like him a lot! Obviously modern, but not completely sado-modernistic.  His style is hard to describe--mixes gorgeous melodies with explosive clusters. This entire recording is available on YouTube for those of you who are curious.

813sWBhkTaL._SL500_.jpg

71an7Mz3czL._SL500_.jpg

(Don't let the "with tape" aspect of the first piece scare you--it lasts only 2-3 minutes near the end and imparts a literally other worldly effect.)

I listened to about the first 20 minutes of the title song, saved the other worldly section.  It was listenable and mirrored your bolded reflection.  Plan to give this a more critical listen, thank you.

14 hours ago, accwai said:

Now album of the evening:

Antonio Bazzini - Vol. 1

Luigi Alberto Bianchi, Aldo Orvieto

MI0001019465.jpg

Ah Dynamic, have never quite managed to put a finger on what inert quality in their recordings makes them appealing to me.  With that fresh in mind, my favorite Bottesini.  Which normally only comes out on deep Winter nights.

11765033_500_500.jpg

8 hours ago, rando said:

Ah Dynamic, have never quite managed to put a finger on what inert quality in their recordings makes them appealing to me. [...]

Umm... Rawness? Anyway, more album of the evening from Dynamic:

Vieuxtemps: A homage by Ruggiero Ricci

Ruggiero Ricci, Marco Vincenzi

MI0001098536.jpg

1 hour ago, elcorso said:

Where did you got the hi-res download?  I can not find it anywhere !

Thanks,

Roch

I'm interested as well. I like Pandolfo and discovered links to some interesting video interviews with the artist on the Glossa site.

http://Paolo Pandolfo on his music

He appears on this SACD as well. Tonight's listen...

Ortiz: Recercadas del Tratado de Glosas

Jordi Savall, Ton Koopman,  Lorenz Duftschmi,

Rolf Lislevand and Paolo Pandolfo.

Oritz.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

56 minutes ago, BacHolz said:

I'm interested as well. I like Pandolfo and discovered links to some interesting video interviews with the artist on the Glossa site.

http://Paolo Pandolfo on his music

He appears on this SACD as well. Tonight's listen...

Ortiz: Recercadas del Tratado de Glosas

Jordi Savall, Ton Koopman,  Lorenz Duftschmi,

Rolf Lislevand and Paolo Pandolfo.

Oritz.jpg

Great !  I own some of his recordings.  Like very much his Carl Friedrich Abel and Machy's albums.

5976b479589b3_CarlFriedrichAbel-Pandolfo.thumb.jpg.d68cf300afbb04d25a4cdb08da0e1ff3.jpgMachis-Pandolfo.thumb.jpg.6a7eca1dfd4546261eae3c0dc1eaa282.jpg

Roch

22 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Great !  I own some of his recordings.  Like very much his Carl Friedrich Abel and Machy's albums.

5976b479589b3_CarlFriedrichAbel-Pandolfo.thumb.jpg.d68cf300afbb04d25a4cdb08da0e1ff3.jpgMachis-Pandolfo.thumb.jpg.6a7eca1dfd4546261eae3c0dc1eaa282.jpg

Roch

I don't have the De Machy but enjoy the Abel as well as these works.

The release offered by Klavier above is on the way.

81wX1m3n2SL._SX522_.jpg

516CA0+vytL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

51iqjpaWxmL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

51BPuOmBCGL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

I find when my listening trends towards Paolo Pandolfo that Cafe Zimmermann fits the mood as well.

3760014190315_600.jpg    nWkIO1jXaST4lwzSFLnDkLVEu3lTZZHPuFIPPHkw

My second submission of today formed out of enjoyably witnessing a reviewer try throwing a haymaker at a conductor for mounting a haymaker instead of the podium.  An idea that increasingly took me as quite hilarious as his complaint directed towards the interpretation focusing solely on the perspective of a machine operator oblivious to all but his preternatural sense for precise operation of all the parts within his control.   Rather than catering to an audience expecting a raucous symphony of whirring knife edged blades and tines leaving an air born maelstrom in it's wake too exciting to ignore.  Little does anyone else suspect through their complacency the horrors that would erupt if it touched on rock or metal.  

Found myself drawn towards spending a few hours slowing down and listening to a year play out in the countryside.     

LPH013.jpg    

11 hours ago, rando said:

I find when my listening trends towards Paolo Pandolfo that Cafe Zimmermann fits the mood as well.

3760014190315_600.jpg    nWkIO1jXaST4lwzSFLnDkLVEu3lTZZHPuFIPPHkw

Thanks for this, I have heard of them but confess to know little more. They sound like my kind of artists. A new repertoire to enjoy...