Roy Heaton Smith: Opening the Door

MI0004077486.jpg

Some ignored or undiscovered music here by a British composer of the 20th Century about whom I, for one, had not heard before (it was pushed out on ClassicsOnline as a new recording of interest). Of particular interest is the fourth track, A Suite of Variations, Op. 37 for viola and piano. This piece should be listened to often and by everyone. The rest of the two-disc set contains a mish-mosh of compositions, some light-weight but pleasant, some too heavy and pretentious. But that Suite of Variations is a real masterpiece. Glad I found it.

Latino Ladino: Songs of Exile & Passion

Yaniv d'Or, countertenor

Amit Tiefenbrunn, viola da gamba & violone

Barrocade and Ensemble NAYA

747313356676.jpg

Spanish music of the New World and other places that are not Spain; the music of religious exiles. Music that is at turns exhilarating and contemplative, sometimes celebratory and sometimes mournful, but never maudlin. Fantastic singing from countertenor Yaniv d'Or. He's going to be a superstar, if he's not already. Lots to explore and enjoy here. The recording quality is high, as well; expertly balanced, with voice rising just enough above the fray while still sounding like a live performance in a real space. I listened to it streaming in CD quality at ClassicsOnline.

Bacevicius: Orchestral Music

61x9ZT-w7JL.jpg

I listened to this last night, fell in love with it, and listened to it again today. What a find! Suggested by ClassicsOnline in their "Discover the Music of the Baltic States" promo that showed up a few days ago.

Never heard of this guy? Me either.

Here is what the 5-star review at AllMusic has to say, in relevant part: "Vytautas Bacevicius is generally considered a Lithuanian composer, but made his career -- if you can call it that -- in the United States. Bacevicius was concerned with "cosmic music," though not that of outer, but inner space, the cosmos as contained within the spiritual dimension of a person. Bacevicius was an intensely complex person whose impoverished life was spent in obscurity and wholly devoted to his music, the vast majority of which was never heard during his lifetime."

And:

"Bacevicius: Orchestral Music will knock the socks off listeners who enjoy meaty contemporary music that is neither tame nor too cold and formally arch -- too bad Frank Zappa didn't live to hear this composer."

• 3 weeks later...

Blow: Symphony Anthems

St. James' Baroque Players - Robert Quinney

9214259.jpg

Great performances of unusual works. Read the liner notes; John Blow comes across as quite the character, plus it sheds some light on pre-Classical views on what it means to be a composer. Bonus Points: As a former student of the College of William and Mary, the first piece was especially interesting to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Conversations

Beethoven, Schubert & Liszt

Enrique Bernaldo de Quirós

1.jpg

A new release from PlayClassics, the audiophile label from Spain that has been super accommodating and friendly to us here at CA. Well, this is another winner. Some of the best recorded piano I have heard, with the added benefit of coming from PlayClassics' studio, where they are assiduously developing a "house sound" whereby all their recordings are placed in the same space. It's not the be-all and end-all of recording venues, but it is THEIR recording venue, and the consistency allows one to develop an ear for the sound of the space. Add to that some exciting and expressive playing on this particular release, and you have a winning combination. I downloaded the recording at 24/96 resolution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks, this looks promising.

Indeed! This album really turns up the excitement quotient for this music. And while I for whatever reason do tend to think of C.P.E. as the "exciting Bach," I also have to say I was somewhat put back in my seat by this recording. I like it, I really do. But listeners to be sure should be prepared for a relatively intense performance with huge dynamics and aggressive lower strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Refuge from the Flames:

The Savonarola Legacy

ORA, Suzi Digby

24/96, eClassical; also on Tidal

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31228[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31229[/ATTACH]

Recommended. This version of Allegri's Miserere is worth hearing, imo. Booklet link: http://www.eclassical.com/shop/17115/art62/4989362-304103-3149020610329_01.pdf

FYI streaming on TIDAL, as well.

C.P.E. Bach Organ Sonatas

Iain Quinn, Organ

747313342471-cover-zoom.jpg

No, these are not his father's organ works. But they are great fun to listen to if you don't expect them to rival J.S. The performance and the recording are excellent. I especially enjoy the acoustic of this not-too-grandiose organ in a just-right space (a modern organ built by Paul Fritts in 2000 and located in the Miller Chapel at the Princeton Theological Seminary in Princeton, NJ).

• 1 month later...
You're welcome.

I think comparing who is more of a genius is kind of a moot point. All these composers were trying to make a living. They produced what was in demand. If circumstances were different, who knows? If Bach didn't manage to secure the post of Thomaskantor in Leipzig, what would happen? And don't forget he was third choice for the post. Telemann was first, and Graupner was second. The post was offered to Bach grudgingly after these two declined. How much more of Graupner would we have if he were able to accept instead? We are lucky that works by so many obscured composers are preserved and are being recorded so we can get a taste of them now.

As for Locatelli, he's a violinist first and foremost. L'arte del violino is his most well know work. 12 Concertos in 3 movements, fast-slow-fast pattern. What's unusual is the solo caprice near the end of the two outer fast movements. They are effectively written out cadenzas, and they're all very crazy. In fact, they have been extracted out and recorded by themselves as solo violin pieces without the rest of the concertos. And the caprices for concerto no. 12 are particularly insane. That concerto is also known as Il Laberinto Armonico--Labyrinth of Harmony: Easy to enter; difficult to escape...

Album of the evening:

From A to Z, Vol. 1 Sharon Bezaly

4435201-origpic-4965f8.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_247_0.jpg

I thought it was a shame Sharon Beazaly never completed her ambitious "A to Z" project of solo works for flute. At the time, she was my favorite flutist. Maybe still is!

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed a rave review of this and took a chance.

European Tour - Nordic Brass Ensemble

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32859[/ATTACH]

2l is known for there hi-res recordings and one's choices here are numerous.

Also available in a SACD and Blu-ray set. Sounds good here...

I like this one a lot, too. It deserves the accolades. I've only heard it streaming on Tidal, but the SQ there was excellent.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Hauser said:

Been listening to Lavinia Meijer playing Philip Glass on harp.  Wasn't sure about harp music but this was different and a very nice sound.

If you like it, I can also recommend Sally Whitwell's piano effort of Mad Rush

1200x630bb.jpg

600x600bb-85.jpg

The harp is an excellent instrument for Glass's keyboard music, as it turns out.  It should have been obvious. Thanks for this recommendation!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2017 at 0:00 PM, AnotherSpin said:

I would love to hear the arguments of marketing agent who convinced recording label to put a picture of naked lady with pretentious hairdo and vulgar make-up on a cover of Vivaldi album.

I think that argument would be something along these lines: "How many people picked up the CD with our photo on it? How many picked up the one with Vivaldi's picture on it? Which one sold more copies? You say it was ours that got picked up and sold more copies of your ancient music that basically nobody alive cares about?" That is what they would argue. And I abhor that argument and hate the circumstances that make it a sound argument (especially considering Vivaldi was something of a feminist with his all-female orchestras). But from the perspective of someone charged with selling as many copies as possible of a Vivaldi recording, it's a winner. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...