There would be much less great piano music without humming pianists.

However it's interesting that players of other instruments don't hum that often. Have you guys heard a humming vibraphonist or a guitar player.?

One thing is certain - one humming instrumentalist in a band rules out other potential hummers in the same band.. Imagine a whole humming orchestra or a big band.. :D

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Jean-Luc Ponty in Mahavishu Orchestra

Of course.

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

L.Shankar in Shakti. 

And in his own projects too. Probably one of my favorite violin playing in jazz(?).

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Of course, Ponty has a quite freaky history with Frank Zappa before he joined Mahavishnu

I recall from his autobiography that the only complaint Zappa had about Ponty was the fact that he always ended his solos in the same 'spectacular' way to cause an even bigger audience applause (BTW quite similiar to the way Urbaniak finished his solo on 'Tutu').

5 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Mark Feldman, he played on several albums of late John Abercrombie, and also with Paul Bley, Joy Lovano and others.

And on countless Tzadik label albums eg Bar Kokhba.

You've actually reminded me that I like quite many violinists. But it's usually not straight ahead jazz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 23.11.2017 at 3:02 PM, mozes said:

Anouar is an amazing musician, one of my favourites!

Absolutely! His live bootleg (I think) recordings are very good too. Not ECM SQ standards though obviously.

An interesting album from pre Stanko cooperation times by Simple Acoustic Trio (not ECM SQ either) which later became Marcin Wasilewski Trio. I don't think it's been issued outside Poland. CD rip.

CDG22-500x500.jpg

If someone's ready to spend £38 or more (I bought it much cheaper long ago) on the CD:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0006NLIZC/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

• 2 weeks later...

Remember listening to this album (cassette) for the first time in my car on my way to the Netherlands years ago. I laughed out loud so much while driving and listening to it that I'm pretty sure this wasn't the safest drive in my life. Ended well anyway.

R-935391-1174665953.jpeg.jpg

BTW IMO this drawing is quite cool.

3c6cce1cda07db7a5c70073dab2f6b1f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...