I love this piece. I consider it the best piano concerto ever written, and possibly Brahms' best composition.

I haven't heard Gilels/Reiner, although a critic friend considers it relatively brisk.

Of those recordings I have heard, my favorite by a long shot is Serkin/Szell.

To me, as much as I love Serkin/Szell for concerto#1, on No. 2 I prefer as mentioned above Gilels/Reiner, the legendary Richter/Leinsdorf, and for a newer recording, Freire & Chailly. All subjective obviously.

"Brisk" is not really a word I'd use for this Gilels recording. You'll find several snippets on Youtube, I recommend checking it out. Even the sound quality is quite nice, this used to be a "living stereo" recording. Some prefer his later DG recordings with Jochum, but I'm personally not a big fan of Jochum with Brahms.

I had this on tape and would put it on my Walkman when going to play tennis at the local park. I love this album still, and made sure to buy the original CD to make sure it was not compressed or remastered. I think I will listen to it now. Thanks for the reminder.

I obviously prefer the Prog Rock Genesis from 1970-75, but listening to it now, the album is actually quite well made pop music, with even some minor "semi-audiophile" moments, like the drum computer solo on "Tonight Tonight Tonight", starting from 3:15, or "The Brazilian". The beauty of the gated reverb...

I unfortunately dont' have the original (well I do, but on vinyl which I don't play any more), but got this box instead, remastered in 2008:

Amazon.com: 1983-1998 Box Set 5CD/5DVD: Genesis: Music

listening to wind & wethering by genesis right now and imo was the last good album they put out. to me everything after was not genesis they sold themselves out to pop music instead of sticking to their roots.

Agree, but every once in a while I don't mind the occasional bit of pop.

And Phil Collins made truckloads of money on the way...

That has also been my experience having developed my listening chops in the mid-late 40's. The first album I actually bought on my own (pocket money) was the Time Out Album which I purchased at Sam Goody's in New York City after a school-mate played the album in his parents' system in his apartment. They had electrostatic speakers, McIntosh, Thorens etc. I was literally knocked out by the musicality. He accompanied me to the store and I bought that first album which I still have (of course) with CD/SACD editions and never tire of this album. It abides.

Best,

Richard

PS

Downloaded Brahms Symphony No.1 Dausgaard 44.1/24 from eClassical based on Musicophile's recommendation. Once again, thank you Musicophile. Don't stop even when I run out of money.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3427[/ATTACH]

Best,

Richard

You're welcome. I just got the latest addition to my music collection, this time actual physical discs, as I wasn't able to find it as download:

Presto Classical - Mozart: Don Giovanni, K527 - DG: 4779878 (CD) - Buy online

dg4779878.jpg

Just started listening to it in the car on the way to work this morning, it's a real pleasure. Quite different to my current reference, the '59 Giulini with Joan Sutherland, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Giuseppe Taddei, but a nice discovery.

inspired by Jud:

Bach: Mass in b-minor, Thomas Hengelbrock, Freiburger Barockorchester.

Ripped from this 60CD box that has a lot of nice discoveries in there (some crap as well unfortunately), but if you get it at a decent price (I paid €35 for the entire box), give it a go.

51N1Fe07jWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Baroque Masterpieces/Various (Box): Baroque Masterpieces: Music

Of the two albums, which is better musically, and which is better sonically?

MOG does not have Hello Troll.

My method is to use MOG to listen to new material with which I am unfamiliar, and if I like it, I then typically purchase the CD and rip it, or sometimes I purchase a high rez download. 95% I simply purchase the cd as it seems there are still many issues with the quality of the supposed hi rez downloads and having the physical cd as a back up is a nice benefit as well.

Musically,I have a slight preference for Hello Troll, and sonically I cannot compare apples to apples as I have Hello Troll in 24/96 and Natsukashii in Redbook only. But both sound pretty good. Natsukashii is even available in 24/192 @ Linn.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3781[/ATTACH]

I've been listening to the Gardiner Beethoven symphonies lately.

Wave file rip > Macbook Pro Retina > Foobar 2000 > RME Fireface UCX > AKG K702 'phones

I see lots of discussion on classical music threads about what are the best Beethoven symphony interpretations. I've got early Von Karajan, late Von Karajan, and others, but this is by far the best recorded. And I like the interpretations, too.

Gardiner is really good, agree (love his 7th, real alternative to Kleiber). Among the Karajan's, it's the 60's Berliner cycle I enjoy most. Have you tried the recent Vänskä cycle on BIS?