Mike Oldfield: Ommadawn. A wild album chock full of Celtic instruments that seem to jump out at you and stand in the room. Endlessly fascinating depth and detail. 1975 recording, third album from Oldfield.

Cream: Goodbye. The 3rd album from Cream, and I believe it was released in 1969, a few months after Cream disbanded. Three tracks are live, and three were made in the studio. If you have not heard it, get it. Perhaps the best album ever from Cream.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Artist: The Rolling Stones

Album: It's Only Rock'n Roll (1974)

A great example of why there's no subsititute for playing complete albums. Last song is the best: Fingerprint File.

BTW: them Stone Ager Queens is indeed one of the best rock bands of the modern era. Energy levels are sky high...

Fully Balanced Differential Stereo: Jamo R909 < Emotiva XPA-1 < XLR < Emotiva XSP-1 < Weiss DAC2 < Oyaide d+ FW400/800 < iMac < Synology DS1815+ NAS

Software: Amarra Symphony iRC, XLD, iTunes.

Mazzy Star

So That Tonight I Might See

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

By coincidence I also listened to it Thursday night

Barry, I have a remaster from 2003;don't know the source; I think it sounds good.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

love classic Yes. I think the 2003 version would be the Rhino re-master series (does it have bonus tracks?). I really need to get MoFi's version of this album, their work on Fragile is excellent.

Note that all recent re-masters from Mobile Fidelity are done to DSD, including the Gold CD releases. Maybe someday we will be able to get our hands on the DSD files (would require serious rights to MoFi from the "owners" of the music). It will be interesting to see what happens as more DACs are released that can handle DSD via USB...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Glennboy - great choices! Disintegration is one of my favorites. I've always hoped for a nice crisp remaster. Mine sounds kind of muddy, though I love it anyway. Midlake is awesome too. Ever listened to John Grant?

On now:

Artist: Neil Young

Album: Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

On deck:

Artist: Kenny Garrett

Album: Triology

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Everybody knows... Is my favourite Neil young record - nice choice

I've not heard John grant, good album of his?

If an artist cannot make a decent album then I guess they are not really worth listening to.

Just my opinion (which is right)

Old mac mini -itunes- amarra jnr- kimber USB -peachtree nova- mordaunt short floorstanders- active minx 300w sub[br]Sounds alright to me

My wife was back on the massage table tonight and I DJ for her which keeps the massage therapist glued to the table as she truly enjoys the music as she works on my wife. Jun Fukamachi At Steinway (Take 2) DXD CD, followed by HDtrack download Easy Living Ella accompanied by the great Joe Pass. Bridge Over Troubled Water for a night cap. I purchased dBPoweramp after conveniently forgetting it was a Windows program. Also purchased XLD and converted the Simon/Garfunkel CD to AIFF easily. Read the threads here first, hoping the quality is equal to dBPoweramp as I do not care to boot up Win7 via VMWare often, the program never gets the CD/DVD writer(s) easily to work as in Snow Leopard. Also downloaded Fidelia basic/advanced to compare, finding it quite acceptable, but notice I make my way back to Amarra and PM.

Notice different recordings/files sound better played through one program or another and appreciate having the selection available. Wonder if that is the experience of others.

Listening/playing more music than I ever have these days. Everyone in the room notices the change in music delivery and SQ with extreme delight.

Best,

Richard

The Horace Silver Quintet - The Tokyo Blues

MacBook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Audez\'e LCD-2[br]Macbook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Emotiva UPA-2 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1\'s

...recorded his album "Queen of Denmark" with Midlake. I quite like it, though it is a bit lusher in style than Midlake.

"Eyeopener" this morning:

Artist: Nick Lowe

Album: The Convincer

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Artist: Petra Magoni e Ferruccio Spinetti

Album: Musica Nuda

Listening to this just makes me happy. I'm about to throw some triple-cut pork chops on the grill and open a bottle of sparkling rosato given to me by the butcher. Have I mentioned before how much I love living in Italy?

iMac - iTunes(AIFF) - Squeeze 7.9- QOBUZ flac streamer - Vodafone Revolution Router - Transporter - Pathos Classic One MkIII - JM/Focal Daline 3 - dhLabs & Xindak xlr cables - Mapleshade header and footers - AppleTV3

It was the first Horace Silver album I bought, and it is still my favorite.

MacBook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Audez\'e LCD-2[br]Macbook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Emotiva UPA-2 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1\'s

Goldsdad: I've really been enjoying Anouar Brahem as well. I love this as well, Night Song, Ketil Bjørnstad. It's really more classical than jazz but a perfect CD for an evening.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

@bikemig

I enjoy all Anouar Brahem albums. Thanks for the Night Song suggestion. An ideal title, considering this thread.

@mwheelerk

All three of Munu’s ECM albums are excellent. An earlier solo album It’s About Time, released 1999, is at Amazon. Check the samples - nothing like his ECM releases. Just as well it’s not my kind of music - $135 plus shipping.