As for SQ I'd recommend (I like the performance too but I'm not an expert) SACD being obviously a better choice than CD.

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

That version has been my benchmark since I owned it on vinyl back in the 80's. The Eiji Oue version is excellent as well. I've seen it being used as demo material in a few audio shops.

That version has been my benchmark since I owned it on vinyl back in the 80's. The Eiji Oue version is excellent as well. I've seen it being used as demo material in a few audio shops.

Thanks for the feedback but I'm puzzled. The Rite of Spring isn't on the Firebird album with Shaw posted. Am I mistaken? The Eiji Oue release has caught my attention. Your opinions are appreciated.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

i love this album! fabulous piano trio jazz . . .

https://listen.tidal.com/album/47960021

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34122[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the post. They are new to me and I see they have a new release, another live recording. "Live in Germany"

411V0S2VC9L.jpg

No, it isn't. Sorry, my mistake.

No problem, I value your feedback. I see there is a Shaw/Atlanta recording of this work on Telarc suggested earlier by "coot" and well reviewed elsewhere.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

It's almost that time of the year and Spring is almost upon us. I'm looking for another "Le Sacre du Printemp". Presently I have but these...

Igor Stravinsky, Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1960)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34113[/ATTACH]

Valery Gergiev, Kirov Orchestra (1999)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34114[/ATTACH]

Sir Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony (1989)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34117[/ATTACH]

Again, not especially studied were these choices, but what could I add to my library?

I have these 3, all of which have their merits. The Paavo and the Fischer are available as SACD/DSD, and are both excellent modern recordings.

51mFgZkWQCL.jpg

517Zo-bF0ML._SS500.jpg

918oQuVyz-L._SL1500_.jpg

Some of you may be surprised to learn that Anthony Burgess, author of A Clockwork Orange, was also a composer, and quite a fine one at that. He writes in a busy, quasi-tonal style that certainly must challenge the players. Very good playing and sound--which does capture a few harsh notes in the heat of the moment.

516EsufFjmL.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

1) I find the image on Amazon (or some other source)

2) Right click on it and select "Copy Image Address"

3) Click on the Insert Image icon on this page

4) Choose "From URL" and paste it in the window

5) Uncheck the "Retrieve Remote File" button, then click OK

6) If all went well, you should see your image!

If the image is too big from Amazon, you can edit it. For instance. SL 1200 would be HUGE in this link example!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/715Vo7rOAOL._SL1200_.jpg

So, change the 1200 to 300 or maybe 500 when it's in the Insert Image window.

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Almost all the downloaded albums come with the album cover art in jpg format. If not, you can get it from a lot of places in the web, like Amazon.

The last Cowboy Junkies mentioned in this thread is a 1986 release (the first one?)

https://www.discogs.com/artist/178821-Cowboy-Junkies

Roch

how do you guys/girls get those beautiful covers on your posts?

and is that cowboy junkies something new or old?

Almost all the downloaded albums come with the album cover art in jpg format. If not, you can get it from a lot of places in the web, like Amazon.

The last Cowboy Junkies mentioned in this thread is a 1986 release (the first one?)

https://www.discogs.com/artist/178821-Cowboy-Junkies

Roch

Their career spanned from 1985 to 2012 and most of the albums featured here came out of the first half of their career (before 2000). Not to dismiss their later works, just one fan's opinion.

On 3/17/2017 at 4:27 AM, BacHolz said:

Thanks for the post. They are new to me and I see they have a new release, another live recording. "Live in Germany"

411V0S2VC9L.jpg

No problem, I value your feedback. I see there is a Shaw/Atlanta recording of this work on Telarc suggested earlier by "coot" and well reviewed elsewhere.

Hadn't seen this new Mirabassi album yet. Will need to get it. 

Thanks to all for the "Rite of Spring" suggestions.

I noticed that Gimell is about to end their download 'store' and have an end-of-service sale. Especially good if you want to download some Tallis Scholars although their CDs are usually works of informative art worth owning.

Announcing the closure of our online store with a giant End Of Life Sale.

Jiránek: Music from Eighteenth-Century Prague

A previously unknown composer to me, here's a bit from Wikipedia...

"Jiránek was born on 24 July 1698 in Lomnice nad Popelkou (Northern Bohemia, present-day Czech Republic). Count Václav Morzin sent[1] him to Venice in 1724 to improve his musical abilities. His teacher was probably Antonio Vivaldi himself.[1] Count Václav Morzin was a very important supporter of Vivaldi (Vivaldi dedicated to him his famous Four Seasons).

In 1726 Jiránek came back to Prague and worked as a violinist in the Prague ensemble of Václav Morzin.[1] In this ensamble worked also Antonín Reichenauer and Johann Friedrich Fasch."

Folder.jpg

Carmina Burana: Tempus Transit

Millenarium

The medieval manuscript of the Carmina Burana (Songs of Beuren) takes its name from the library of the abbey of Beuren where it was discovered in the 19th century. It contains texts of many different origins and styles; there are love songs, songs that point a moral, political songs, religious songs and satirical songs.

51YmfIrrYtL._SS500.jpg

12 hours ago, BacHolz said:

I noticed that Gimell is about to end their download 'store' and have an end-of-service sale.

This seems to be happening a lot lately.  Wonder if these smaller classical "shops" are all using the same service that has decided to raise rates, or exactly what is going on?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Halasz plays with tremendous feeling and virtuosity. Excellent sound, though I'm not a fan of his type of guitar, a Matthias Dammann "double-top." 

51XLo2tYxoL._SS500.jpg