2 hours ago, EuroChamp said:

Those ESOTERIC are excellent - and almost impossible to get. I don't know the ones you posted, but I have several others.

Indeed, they appear to be meticulous on their production and re-mastering.  I have owned many of the original issues and then later the Esoteric remastered version, did some comparisons and found that it was overall well worth the extra investment.

Cheers,
W.

16 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

@orresearch was just writing about Esoteric transport somewhere else :) 

You seem to have many of their SACDs, are you happy with their sound e.g. Trane's 'Ballads'?

@sphinxsix  Over time I have accumulated a small collection of Esoteric SACD, almost all of those I already had an older Redbook CD version. I used to travel frequently to Japan and worked there, and therefore made some purchases of remastered work for the Japanese market at their domestic pricing.  I happen to work in the area of technology and signal processing related to sound, and believe that generally new technology could contribute to remastering better sound, although the actual result also depends on, perhaps, the effort put into it, the original signal capture, and the type of music material.  In the past I did occasional comparisons between these remastered version against older, some I found more obvious improvements and others not distinct.  I found the Esoteric remastering works do a careful job, and I enjoy all their Jazz collections.  Their Coltrane Ballad remaster has a full and enjoyable sound. 

These days I tend to kick back and just enjoy listening to the music, and not derive the satisfaction from comparing the details between versions or equipment.  Others probably know a lot more about Esoteric and these related subjects, would be nice to see their comments.

Cheers,

W

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

Thanks, I've just given it a quick listen. Musically sounds great to my ears! Is the sound slightly on the dry side or is it just a question of my source?

Yes, I know what you meant.  I thought the performance was fantastic, but the recording sounded a bit "forward" to me with perhaps the microphone placed close to the instruments and there wasn't enough ambiance picked up.  For example, compare this recording to one of very similar content by Daniel Hope on DGG, Hope's recording sounded "fuller" and rich.

Cheers,
W.